The Lost Pubs project

mjmooney

TBH a lot of the pubs in the list for Macclesfield were shite pubs.

Which is probably why they've closed.

Better bars/pubs/Ale Houses have emerged in their place, alongside the better old style pubs that still exist.

the stockland in erdington used to be great though man, used to go in there on my lunch breaks at school and whenever I had a chance at college

wont be long till the millhouse has gone from marsh hill I dont recon either

I do like the fact that that site uses old counties for the index - so Birmingham is in Warwickshire, not West Midlands.

That really confused me for a bit. Apparantly I live in what was was once Worcestershire. :?

I do like the fact that that site uses old counties for the index - so Birmingham is in Warwickshire, not West Midlands.

It still is in Warwickshire in my world.

My point exactly.

In the case of Liverpool that actually makes for a cause for celebration. I'd say 95% of the closed pubs were shite anyway. There's one pub I'd possibly mourn and quite a few that if they were shut, they were closed for a month tops, usually for refurbishment i.e. The Varsity which in the space of a month was refitted and rebranded as Baa Bar 2. Some of those pubs were barely pubs in the first place i.e. The Compass, it was the reception of a hotel, the width of one shop that had about 5 pumps and no-one ever drank there, ever - it was just an ill conceived idea. There is no mention of the Everyman Bistro however, which closed last year and I would actually mourn but as it was part of the now demolished theatre we still await to see if they build a replacement in the new Everyman Theatre

I thought looking at that site may bring back memories but the recent pictures of what the buildings are now is just a reminder how bad this place has become from where it was

All this is kind of the point though, and why I find it depressing.

Yes, many of those boozers had become shitholes, and you may be quite happy to see them closed down. But the point is that they weren't always.

I'm not mourning pub closures per se, I'm mourning the whole process where pubs (and entire areas) go down the nick to the point that they may as well close.

Case in point:

leeds_georgevi.jpg

The George IV, in Kirkstall, Leeds. It's been boarded up like that for about three years now. The last time I went in it, just before the closure, it was half depressing, half frightening. Just a couple of winos and junkies slumped in the corner of a dirty room.

But I remember it in the late '70s, when it was an excellent local - always busy, friendly staff and customers, a good jukebox and superb beer. That's the pub I'm sad about, not the one from three years ago.

And it's happening all over the country.

quite a few pubs I used to drink in (or didn't but can remember) and are now gone are missing from the list
They don't have The Parisian (B'ham city centre), for one. Used to be opposite The Windsor. OK, it was a pseudo club, rather than a traditional pub, but I used to drink in there when I was in the 6th Form.

I also see the Yard of Ale has closed - didn't know that. I'm quite surprised that no-one on that website has pointed out its tragic history in its previous incarnation as The Tavern in the Town.

There really should be some sort of plaque on the wall there.

the stockland in erdington used to be great though man, used to go in there on my lunch breaks at school and whenever I had a chance at college

wont be long till the millhouse has gone from marsh hill I dont recon either

Most of my family still live in the area. We used The Stockland all the time. Match days especially. The Millhouse, or The Hare & Hounds as I've always known it, got a bit of a bad reputation. Although I'd moved away from Erdington, by the time it did. Did you go to Stocko then Leemond?

doesnt the square peg officially have the longest bar in europe or something like that?

Zanda in London claims to have this and does some bar in Belguim

and When i went on Eurostar the other month there is a champagne bar that claims to be the "the longest Champagne Bar in Europe" (it's 100 yards long )

now idea how that compares to a bar that serves drinks other than champagne though ??

where is Norris McWhirter when you need him ??

Â