The Lost Pubs project

mjmooney

the stockland in erdington used to be great though man, used to go in there on my lunch breaks at school and whenever I had a chance at college

wont be long till the millhouse has gone from marsh hill I dont recon either

Most of my family still live in the area. We used The Stockland all the time. Match days especially. The Millhouse, or The Hare & Hounds as I've always known it, got a bit of a bad reputation. Although I'd moved away from Erdington, by the time it did. Did you go to Stocko then Leemond?

Yeah I did **** loved that school

I do like the fact that that site uses old counties for the index - so Birmingham is in Warwickshire, not West Midlands.

It still is in Warwickshire in my world.

I'd say circa 1990

Sad, isn't it? Just in my adult lifetime (I'm 40), I've seen great old school dive bars in Boston and surrounding suburbs shut down or transform into soulless, Yuppie martini bars. It's a real shame. You can hardly find a good bar with a pool table and dartboard anymore. Everything seems to cater to the upper class academics, which Boston has in spades.

Loads missing from there. Should be pubs that have been knocked down as most reopen then close again then reopen and so on. I deliver to pubs and some do this 3 or 4 times a year.

Any way Prince Rupurt in Aston/Neachells is now houses

Sad, isn't it? Just in my adult lifetime (I'm 40), I've seen great old school dive bars in Boston and surrounding suburbs shut down or transform into soulless, Yuppie martini bars. It's a real shame. You can hardly find a good bar with a pool table and dartboard anymore. Everything seems to cater to the upper class academics, which Boston has in spades.

There are three within a 5 minute walk for me...

There are three within a 5 minute walk for me...

:thumb:

Herefordshire villagers save Crown Inn by buying it

Villagers in Herefordshire have bought their local pub in a bid to secure its future, less than a year after saving their school.

The Crown Inn, in Dilwyn, was bought from Punch Taverns by the parish council for about £250,000 before it went to auction.

Parish Councillor Elaine Stillwell said the pub had been the hub of the village and was important for the community.

The council used grants and a public works loan to raise the money.

Council Chairman Peter Kyles said: "We've lost our shop, we've lost our post office. The school's going very successfully and we hope on this site to develop a community shop."

Mr Kyles said the council planned to attract a tenant for the pub, with the rent expected to cover the loan repayments.

The council said the pub, which has been closed for the past six weeks, was expected to reopen in May.

It added that any tenant would be directly answerable to the community.

St Mary's Primary School, in the village, was saved last year after volunteers came together to run it as a non fee-paying independent school.

Head teacher John Gerrish said: "The community has certainly got behind the school, which is why we are still running, and they've got behind the pub in a way that is quite astonishing.

"This village is such a fantastic community and anything that can be done... to ensure that sense of community continues is worth doing."

Â