Syria

maqroll

I fully expect Obama to sit in front of a T.V camera and address the world with one hand under his chin and the words "Society, man, so-ci-e-ty", followed by a deep sigh and a forlorn look down the camera.

Bloody 'world done it'. Gutless.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Senate committee votes in favour of "changing momentum on the battlefield".  A long waty away from what was first proposed.  Surprise, surprise.  And clearly illegal under international law, not that this will detain them for an instant, as they are beyond the law.

Randy Weber, Republican of Texas, asks Hagel if he can guarantee that after all this is done there will be a stable Syria friendly to the United States.

Hagel pauses.

"I wouldn't guarantee anything," he says. "This is unpredictable, it's complicated, it's dangerous." He says the last three hours if anything else have demonstrated that there are no sure bets on Syria.

The imbecile is childlike in his question.  If we do what you say, daddy, will it all be ok?

The answer is more honest.  No, son, you're f*ck*d.

Senate committee votes in favour of "changing momentum on the battlefield".  A long waty away from what was first proposed.  Surprise, surprise.  And clearly illegal under international law, not that this will detain them for an instant, as they are beyond the law.

There is at least logic to that position though. Pick a side and do something. A punitive strike will achieve nothing so if there is to be a response to the CW attacks then it has to be decisive or it is pointless.

Just on the point you and others have raised about involving the Iranians in peace negotiations, how can they be more legitimate peace makers than for example the US, when they actually have IRGC fighters on the ground fighting for Assad and officers leading Syrian regular units- leaving aside that their proxies HZ are up to their necks in the fighting and are credited with actually turning the tide against the rebel forces? The Iranians haven't tried to hide the IRGC involvement and have held public funerals for their "martyrs" back home.

It does somewhat nullify the logic that that this is all stirred up by the west and if "we" stay out of it at least the Syrians are being left alone to sort out their own problems.

I haven't seen anyone that thinks it's just Syrians fighting.

In fact, use of terms like Syria and Iran probably indicate why many in the West clearly still don't understand what the hell is going on. Many years ago a bunch of europeans divvied up a chunk of the world into nation states without really understanding how it all worked out there. Now, a hundred years or so later, the descendants of those europeans are watching a hell of a bitch fight, haven't got a clue who started or what it's about and certainly don't know for sure which spectators will get involved if we try and step in and sort it out 'again'.

Yet feel strangely compelled to get stuck into the middle of it anyway to make sure everybody knows they are still in charge.

Let's use the money we'd spend on bombing and policing for 10 years on jobs in alternative fuels research.

• Like 1

Obviously don't disagree with you about the carve up of post Ottoman Arabia into artificial states, but Iran (Persia) doesn't fall into that bracket.

That doesn't alter the fact that Iran is being proposed in some quarters as a credible partner for peace negotiations, despite the fact they are a boots on the ground combatant in the war!

chrisp65, on 05 Sept 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

Let's use the money we'd spend on bombing and policing for 10 years on jobs in alternative fuels research.

but we get the money back on the contracts we secure from the new regime to rebuild the country and the cheaper oil

fair better to stop spending dead money on unemployment benefit and the NHS which offer zero returns

Just on the point you and others have raised about involving the Iranians in peace negotiations, how can they be more legitimate peace makers than for example the US, when they actually have IRGC fighters on the ground fighting for Assad and officers leading Syrian regular units- leaving aside that their proxies HZ are up to their necks in the fighting and are credited with actually turning the tide against the rebel forces? The Iranians haven't tried to hide the IRGC involvement and have held public funerals for their "martyrs" back home.

It does somewhat nullify the logic that that this is all stirred up by the west and if "we" stay out of it at least the Syrians are being left alone to sort out their own problems.

I don't think the Iranians are more legitimate peacemakers than the US or any other country, but I do think they are as legitimate with regard to a peacekeeping role.  They are certainly more legitimate in terms of intervening in the conflict, since they plausibly see this as being about their own survival, where the US see it as expanding their global reach.

What kind of international intervention to reduce conflict would fail to recognise that Iran fears for its own future and therefore has interests which must be taken into account?

Simply, this intervention is not about reducing conflict and saving lives, it's about escalating conflict for regional and economic gain.

Any sensible intervention aimed at stopping the use of CWs would get Russia and Iran onside behind that aim (an aim which they share).  But this can't happen because the real aim of the US is removing the Syrian government in order to replace it with something which is amenable to US influence.   This is why I see the entire charade being played out in the US as an act of bad faith, pretending to be some sort of humanitarian concern when it is anything but.

Hang on, Iran is fighting inside Syria with its Al Quds forces on the side of those who (are most likely to) have used CW's!  How can a direct protagonist in a conflict take up a peacekeeping role and have even the remotest degree of credibility with the other side?

EDIT:  That's like saying Soviet Russia had a legitimate reason to get involved in the Hungarian uprising because it was defending a political ally - and therefore protecting its own interests.  

Edited by Awol

There is also a difference between putting something on the table in terms of brokering peace and a peacekeeping role. I fully understand that Iran can't be considered for a peacekeeping role but neither can the US for the exact same reasons

Also are we really thinking that the US doesn't already have personnel covertly on the ground already advising the "rebels".

What is the difference?

bickster, on 05 Sept 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:Also are we really thinking that the US doesn't already have personnel covertly on the ground already advising the "rebels".

not heard any reports of deaths by friendly fire so I'm not so sure about that ....

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Hang on, Iran is fighting inside Syria with its Al Quds forces on the side of those who (are most likely to) have used CW's!  How can a direct protagonist in a conflict take up a peacekeeping role and have even the remotest degree of credibility with the other side?

EDIT:  That's like saying Soviet Russia had a legitimate reason to get involved in the Hungarian uprising because it was defending a political ally - and therefore protecting its own interests.  

A great many of the people fighting in Syria appear to be foreigners.  I expect the US has people in there as well as training the rebel groups.

Let's get away from this idea that the conflict is a civil war between Syrians loyal to Assad and Syrians who oppose him.  The opposition in particular is a collection of a very large number of groups and many nationalities (hence the line "How could they have used CWs against their own people" doesn't wash, but that's by the by).

The conflict is about the region, not about Syria only.  So yes, several of the countries which would need to be involved in any attempt at a political solution are protagonists. 

The issue is whether the aims of the parties are completely irreconcilable.  I'm not sure that al-Qaeda would be amenable to a political solution, for example.  And if the aim of US involvement is to move towards a position where it can more easily overthrow Iran as well, and get back to having a pliant dictator acting in western interests as it did before 1979, then again that may be something which cannot be agreeable to Iran and Russia.

Of course if the aim were to prevent the use of CWs, reduce the level of conflict and stem the flood of refugees as a starting point towards looking for a diplomatic solution about Syria which respects the rights of Syrians rather than the interests of other countries and corporations, then that's another matter.  That would be easier.  I don't think that's what the US is looking for.

• Like 1

slightly odd moment on Newsnight

The Russian spokesapologist asked Emily Maitliss why they kept mentioning the 3 'proof' documents that said Assad did it but wouldn't ever mention the 100 page document on the rebels use of CW in Alepo.

The question / statement just didn't get a response, she just turned to the other guest and asked the next question. I'm not suggesting EM is part of any conspiracy, she just clearly didn't have a response.

Against my better judgement I spent 20 minutes yesterday watching a selection of the lovely youtube videos posted by supporters of each side in Syria that highlight each others atrocities. Not the chemical stuff, but the up close and personal, methodical and brutal torture of helpless people. The SAA, FSA and Jihadis are animals all. "Disturbing" isn't an adjective that does the images justice and it's reminiscent of Bosnia, although admittedly what we saw on TV from there was usually the aftermath, rather than the events themselves recorded by laughing psychopaths on 8 megapixel smart phones.

The hatred is extraordinary and it feels like you're watching the death of a country, with every ounce of decency and humanity wrung from it by the hands of madmen. The idea of these factions being reconciled is too incredible to contemplate. It's no wonder the world is choosing to turn away and say 'let them get on with it', because to engage with the reality is emotionally overwhelming.

I don't blame religion, or the US, Russians or Iranians, no force beyond the will of the individual can compel man to do that to man, or all too frequently, woman and child.  All I know is that if evil currently has an address then it's Syria, and for those (myself included) who have suggested that doing nothing is an option, please, spend 20 minutes doing what I did last night. If your conscience still thinks that non-intervention is an option then you're a harder hearted man than I.

EDIT: The irony that this puts me in the same camp as St. Tony Blair has not been missed..

Edited by Awol

Against my better judgement I spent 20 minutes yesterday watching a selection of the lovely youtube videos posted by supporters of each side in Syria that highlight each others atrocities. Not the chemical stuff, but the up close and personal, methodical and brutal torture of helpless people. The SAA, FSA and Jihadis are animals all. "Disturbing" isn't an adjective that does the images justice and it's reminiscent of Bosnia, although admittedly what we saw on TV from there was usually the aftermath, rather than the events themselves recorded by laughing psychopaths on 8 megapixel smart phones.

The hatred is extraordinary and it feels like you're watching the death of a country, with every ounce of decency and humanity wrung from it by the hands of madmen. The idea of these factions being reconciled is too incredible to contemplate. It's no wonder the world is choosing to turn away and say 'let them get on with it', because to engage with the reality is emotionally overwhelming.

I don't blame religion, or the US, Russians or Iranians, no force beyond the will of the individual can compel man to do that to man, or all too frequently, woman and child.  All I know is that if evil currently has an address then it's Syria, and for those (myself included) who have suggested that doing nothing is an option, please, spend 20 minutes doing what I did last night. If your conscience still thinks that non-intervention is an option then you're a harder hearted man than I.

EDIT: The irony that this puts me in the same camp as St. Tony Blair has not been missed..

It's pretty vile stuff.  But what they're doing to people is no worse than what "we" have supported through the use of drones, through kidnapping people and having them tortured in secret facilities overseas, through looking the other way while Israel burns children with white phosphorous.  The glee of the perpetrators is no different to what we see in the "Collateral Murder" video and the photos from Abu Grayib.

We don't tend to hear enough about the impact on people of these things.  We see the immediate devastation, the bodies, the bloody injuries.  What is also concerning but less photogenic is the mental state of the survivors.  During the Troubles, some work was done on the impact on children of being brought up in an atmosphere of fear and tension.  We also know something about the effect of atrocities in desensitising people, or making them more accepting of further violence, or motivating some of them to do the same to others, in much the same way as many child abusers were themselves abused as children.

I was struck by a photo I saw of a boy whose mother had been killed, who drew a crude picture of her and lay down next to it to sleep.  What will he be like in a few years time?  A quiet depressive?  A bitter and cruel man?  A radicalised fighter?  Who knows.

Western intervention fuels this stuff, and we propose more of the same.  The only solution is political.  Yes, it's immensely hard to see the different factions living side by side (though removing the Saudi jihadists would be one small contribution).  It was likewise hard to imagine reconciliation on Ireland and South Africa, but it's been more successful than we might have feared.  The very first step is to reduce the level of conflict; our elected representatives are intent on ramping it up.

BNNowbbCQAEnN0L_zps11679d93.jpg

Â