Syria

maqroll

That'd be the same article that Jon posted 5hrs and 20 mins before you then Ian :mrgreen:

as punishment can Drat have "Captain Slow" as his personal tagline now  , in honour of his favourite TV show  :)

Edited by tonyh29

admittedly I've been out the country and missed a lot of this news but the impression given from the article I read was that Milliband was given the briefing and wanted his own amendments , which Clegg & Cameron gave and then Millibnad came back for more , which was also given and Milliband then said he would support the bill

and then didn't

IF that is the case then , regardless of the rights and wrongs of the actual going to war it does suggest Ed has behaved quite dishonourably in this  ... not sure what game Ed played here really ..or why

this article here is quite scathing of Ed  , ok it's the heil , so again allow for it's bias and inaccuracy

As I have been told to look back at previous posts then I think this one from Tony needs answering

Basically Tony you are wrong !

The amendment - and if you look back through this thread it caused much squirming when certain shall we say right wing supporters went from hating Miliband to saying he was right, was defeated. 

This article gives a fair run through of the proceedings

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2013/08/29/labour-and-the-tories-go-to-war-behind-the-scenes

The bottom line really does look like Cameron et al just could not face the facts that they were defeated on taking the country into war at this moment (I know they have taken us previously but let's not go there) 

Edit: Tony that article you quoted is actually quite offensive and borderline racist - "Mr Miliband, whose word may be no straighter than that conk of his, cooed and nodded to Messrs Cameron and Clegg"  - really?

Edited by drat01
  • Like 1

admittedly I've been out the country

France again, Tony?

I imagine you being driven slowly down the main streets of several French cities, using a loudhailer, reciting the names of mediaeval battles they lost to us, explaining why a preference for pastis over gin is a sign of moral degeneracy, telling them why lardycake is superior in every respect to brioche...

Am I right?  I'm right, aren't I?

• Like 2

Cutting edge debate on what the **** to do with a country tearing itself apart in a very volatile region!

Shush your mouth. People are arguing about how three shades of same sh*t are fundamentally different, and this is the 'Condem' thre...

• Like 4

admittedly I've been out the country

France again, Tony?

I imagine you being driven slowly down the main streets of several French cities, using a loudhailer, reciting the names of mediaeval battles they lost to us, explaining why a preference for pastis over gin is a sign of moral degeneracy, telling them why lardycake is superior in every respect to brioche...

Am I right?  I'm right, aren't I?

Was out Far East way .. Though funnily enough seeing the colonialism we imposed on Malaysia and Sri Lanka did make me want to raise the Union flag and salute it :)

And Bicks is right , I have no idea what a lardycake is

lardycake does sound particularly northern, I'm guessing its a cake with lard as a basic ingredient? sounds........northern

anyway, re: France

I was there recently and they do appear to have decided to give up, see sense and speak english as a first language

The really startling thing for me is the obvious impact on international opinion that the vote in Westminster has had. The White House are now insisting that the issue of attacking the Assad regime is debated in Congress so Obama has a proper mandate, and even the Frenchies want Hollande to put the issue to a vote rather than simply cracking on using the executive power of the President.

The Russian Parliament are also seeking direct dialogue with Congress in the US to try and persuade them to moderate their response. The outcome won't change in that the US are still going to open a can of whoop-ass on Assad's military assets, but the fact that people are taking a much harder look at this in light of the Westminster vote and the international dialogue it has triggered (even if that is outside of the fairly useless UN structures) really is a significant shift and may bode well for the future, particularly in the engagement with Russia.

It would appear that the UK's view actually carries far more weight than the more cynical among us might have previously suspected, and that's interesting.

Yeah, good point/post that AWOL.

I've always thought on matters like this, that our voice/reaction/action is listened to, as even though we are no superpower, we still often get involved, usually as the lapdog of the states.

So, when we (or our 'democratically' elected parliament) step away, say no, then the world takes note. It's quite a departure, in recent times. It's raised a few eyebrows/opened a few eyes.

lardycake does sound particularly northern, I'm guessing its a cake with lard as a basic ingredient? sounds........northern

It's an enriched tea bread with fruit and spices, from down south(-west) (Wiltshire), but can be found around the midlands as well.  Sorry, I've taken this remarkably off topic.  :(

Russian radar has detected two ballistic "objects" fired towards the eastern Mediterranean ( heading towards Syria)  from the central part of the sea, the country's defence ministry has reportedly said.

no explosions reported though  ... but the most likely explanation would be that the US is test firing some of its ship defence systems."

could be about to get interesting ...

Edited by tonyh29

Russian radar has detected two ballistic "objects" fired towards the eastern Mediterranean ( heading towards Syria)  from the central part of the sea, the country's defence ministry has reportedly said.

no explosions reported though  ... but the most likely explanation would be that the US is test firing some of its ship defence systems."

could be about to get interesting ...

Not yet mate, Congress doesn't return until the 9th of Sept so no move before then.

Interesting that Israel has done this.  I thought they were keen to stay in the background, to maintain the pretence that this is about the international community showing horror at the use of chemical weapons, instead of being a long-planned act of aggression for the US to weaken Syria as a key plank in Israel's mad, destructive, and dangerous regional policy.

• Like 1

Â