Movie roles that no-one else could play & vise versa.

wiggyrichard

Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump.

John Travolta was the original 1st choice to play Forrest Gump but turned it down, Bill Murray was another choice but they eventually went with Tom Hanks.

I cant imagine that anyone else could have pulled off that role as good as Hanks did.

And the vise versa bit...

Cant stand Christian Bale as Batman, surely they could find someone better than him to play Batman!?

Hugh Jackman would have been a good choice.

John Travolta was the original 1st choice to play Forrest Gump but turned it down, Bill Murray was another choice but they eventually went with Tom Hanks.

I cant imagine that anyone else could have pulled off that role as good as Hanks did.

Cant stand Christian Bale as Batman, surely they could find someone better than him to play Batman!?

Agree on the Tom Hanks bit.

But totally disagree with Bale. i think he's excellent as Batman

This. It would be weird to see any of Murray or Travolta as Forrest, but Bale is excellent.

I think I'd find it hard to see anyone but Robin Williams as Keating in Dead poets society.

But I think that any kid could've done Anakin Skywalker better than that useless boy in the Phantom menace. Which was crap regardless, admittedly.

Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.

I could not imagine it being anyone else.

Brian Cox

Nope not for me and I own Manhunter.

The quality in Hopkins' performance was that he had an eerie warmth so in the end you started sympatising and willing him to escape.

Cox didn't do that for me.

This. It would be weird to see any of Murray or Travolta as Forrest, but Bale is excellent.

I think I'd find it hard to see anyone but Robin Williams as Keating in Dead poets society.

But I think that any kid could've done Anakin Skywalker better than that useless boy in the Phantom menace. Which was crap regardless, admittedly.

See i think Michael Keaton was twice the Batman that Bale is.

Clint Eastwood in the Sergio Leone trilogy.

There's an absolute load of these really but a couple that stand out to me are Clint as Dirty Harry. Imagine if the original choice of Sinatra had been stuck with? Can't see the classic 'did he fire six shots or only five?' scene being quite as iconic.

Same goes for Blade Runner. That would have been a totally different movie with Dustin Hoffman (one of the original choices) instead of Ford.

I thought they were both great having seen Hopkins first. He was a little bit pantomime for me where Cox's was a chilling performance.

Totally agree. There's always been more than a hint of ham to Hopkins Lecter. For me Manhunter is still the best movie from those books.

star wars is interesting, for such an iconic series IMO you could replace just about all of them, maybe not ford as hans solo but even thats at a stretch

same with LOTR, serkis aside, most of the cast could have been played by anyone possibly even mckellen's gandalf

There's an absolute load of these really but a couple that stand out to me are Clint as Dirty Harry. Imagine if the original choice of Sinatra had been stuck with? Can't see the classic 'did he fire six shots or only five?' scene being quite as iconic.

Same goes for Blade Runner. That would have been a totally different movie with Dustin Hoffman (one of the original choices) instead of Ford.

I was just coming on here to mention dirty harry

Â