Movie roles that no-one else could play & vise versa.

wiggyrichard

on the vice versa front, the boys from brazil could've done without gregory peck/james mason as nazi's. it's quite clearly gregory peck and james mason. also, it could've done without steve guttenberg, just on principle.

in fact it's a film i'd like to see remade. everyone loves a crazy nazi movie.

Just on this subject didnt John Travolta turn down a role in a movie that went on to be huge? I can't remember though and it's really bugging me. Can anyone help me out?

edit - not Forrest Gump as already mentioned

Just on this subject didnt John Travolta turn down a role in a movie that went on to be huge? I can't remember though and it's really bugging me. Can anyone help me out?

edit - not Forrest Gump as already mentioned

Officer and a Gentleman and rumour has it Chicago as well

(Richard Gere must owe him big time)

Rene Zellweger(sp?) In Bridget Jones.

(Yes I'm a massive gheyer.)

Putting aside your massive gheyness for a moment; for realsies?! I can't think of an actress any more replaceable than Zellweger, she's... I'm not even sure there's a word to describe how awful she is. Terribad? Atrocinormous? Gigantuturd?

Can I just erm come out and say I agree with Eames on this important matter.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine

Patrick Stewart as Professor X

Colin Farrell as Ray (In Bruges)

Ryan Gosling in Drive

Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy (Anchorman)

Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty

Edward James Olmos as Gaff

De Niro as Ray LaMotta

Heath Ledger as the Joker

Oh and one role which definitely should have gone to someone else (*cough* Orson Welles *cough*) was Ahab in Moby Dick.

Gregory Peck was poor in that movie, and I'm a big fan of his.

Agreed on that one. Peck does nice guys, Welles does madmen.

Speaking of GP, watched "Cape Fear" (the original) again at the weekend, and have to say that Robert Mitchum was superb as the psycho rapist.

Heath Ledger as the Joker

Thats an odd one for me. I think that particular interpretation, the urban anarcho-terrorist take, Ledger completely nailed and indeed I couldn't see someone else do it.

But it's a very different take on the Joker and I think other actors could play the role in other, more classic, interpretations. Though not Nicholson, who just played himself with added murder.

Anywho...

Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark

Richard E Grant as Withnail

Â