Relegation - Merged

Amo69

I still think we'll go down, I thought that when McLeish was appointed and nothing at all I've seen this season has even made me come close to changing my mind, I really hope I'm wrong though...
We are at risk of going down under this manager but almost certainly not this season...

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Where's the next win coming from", I remember someone saying that just before we played Fulham. It's 11v11, anything can happen really.

Of course we're not safe just yet.

Whilst I think our attitude, and what McLeish said, when it came to Arsenal was very poor form, and is not acceptable, when half the fans are saying "we're shit and can't win again this season", well that is as bad.

However the team needs to make up, big time. I want to see lots of effort v. Chelsea. I'm confident of getting a result if we actually bother turning up. We stuffed them at Stamford Bridge, so why not.

Problem we have is we can't buy a goal

True but at least our defence are starting to keep clean sheets now against mediocre teams (wigan and Fulham) so that guarentees us a point at least.

We'll be o.k. Not that it's good enough but we won't go down.

I think we can stay up on 35 points as I really can't see the third relegated team getting to 36 so two draws will be achieved.

As I've said before, the time to really worry about relegation will be next season unless we get our act together from top to bottom in the summer.

I still think we'll go down, I thought that when McLeish was appointed and nothing at all I've seen this season has even made me come close to changing my mind, I really hope I'm wrong though...

Are you talking about this season? There is no way the bottom lot will reach 36 and we are almost there.

I don't get all this - there is no way the bottom clubs will get to 36 points

Wolves aside they're all starting to get results in

The golden rule is get to 40

It wont be any different this time

Well McCleish did say Newcastle were a model we should take after, must mean the getting relegated first part and all! :)

Haha hopefully he just means we'll be getting cheap players with a lot of skill lol..

I don't get all this - there is no way the bottom clubs will get to 36 points

Wolves aside they're all starting to get results in

The golden rule is get to 40

It wont be any different this time

There is no such golden rule - it's just a useful target for mid-table clubs.

Last season Wolves just scraped 17th place with 40 points.

The season before West Ham survived with 35 points (and could in fact have stayed up with 30 points and a goal difference of -39!!)

2008/9 Hull hung on with 35 points.

It all depends on how the bottom teams perform and this season they have been pretty poor. The most competitive seasons since the league went to 20 clubs have been 2002/3 when Wolves went down with 42 points; 1997/8 (Bolton 40) and 1996/7 (Sunderland 40). But the norm is for the 18th club - the one to beat - to end with points in the low to mid 30s.

This season, to get to 39 points, QPR and Wigan would each need to get 14 points from their remaining 8 fixtures. QPR have to play Arsenal, Chelsea, Man C, Man U and Spurs; Wigan play Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal. All of these teams will be fighting hard for a top 4 place so the strugglers can't expect to get much from those games. They do look to be heading for around 35/6 points at their absolute best - Wolves almost certainly lower.

You can't judge the teams in the relegation zone on their previous results for the season. They have all started to rally, barring Wolves, and every game is now a cup final where so much is at stake.

We still need another 5 points IMO to be absolutely sure.

PS - just had a look at Wigan's last nine games from last season.

They were bottom with 9 games to go on 27 points.

They accumulated 15 points in those next 9 games.

If they do that again this season, they will finish the season on 40 points.

Yep. People forget that towards the end of the season, usually about half the clubs have next to nothing to play for, whereas those at the bottom are fighting for their lives - and the results reflect that. It ain't over yet.

PS - just had a look at Wigan's last nine games from last season.

They were bottom with 9 games to go on 27 points.

They accumulated 15 points in those next 9 games.

If they do that again this season, they will finish the season on 40 points.

Yep. People forget that towards the end of the season, usually about half the clubs have next to nothing to play for, whereas those at the bottom are fighting for their lives - and the results reflect that. It ain't over yet.

Yes, that"s why we get shock results like Liverpool1 Wigan 2 but this season I am sure that neither Wolves or QPR have the ability to stay up, so all we have to do really is finish 17th :D

People also forget we finished last season in a false position due to playing weakened teams in our run in.

We won't be as lucky with this run in and i very much doubt we have the motivation or the players to save us from relegation if the teams below us start to take a run at us.

People also forget we finished last season in a false position due to playing weakened teams in our run in.

We won't be as lucky with this run in and i very much doubt we have the motivation or the players to save us from relegation if the teams below us start to take a run at us.

I don't know if you noticed but our team was also severely weakened for a good chunk of last season. We finished where we deserved.