Ajax - AZ Alkmaar Supporter attacks Goalkeeper

Genie

Hear this on the radio this morning so had to check it out.

Ajax supporter runs on the pitch and "attacks "the AZ goalkeeper, the GK brings him to the ground but then delivers a couple more heavy kicks. The GK gets a red card and his manager orders the rest of his players off the pitch, match abandoned.

The Incident itself

Red card and drama after the incident

Now for me, I think the GK went over the top and deserved his red. I think he'd have got away with the first kick/trip if he hadn't followed it up.

I know it was a highly charged moment but the chap was already on the deck so he should have waited for police to cart him away.

What do you guys think?

I disagree, I think football rules go out the window here, the guy runs on the pitch and attacks him from behind. The keeper HAS to defend himself but this fan could have had a knife or anything and in this situation the adrenalin would have been pumping in the keeper enough for him to lose it.

Fight or flight mode is in everyone and is a natural human response in situations like this so does not make him a thug.

Good on the team walking off.

I disagree, I think football rules go out the window here, the guy runs on the pitch and attacks him from behind. The keeper HAS to defend himself but this fan could have had a knife or anything and in this situation the adrenalin would have been pumping in the keeper enough for him to lose it.

Fight or flight mode is in everyone and is a natural human response in situations like this so does not make him a thug.

Good on the team walking off.

Yep, agree with all of this. And the referee needed to settle things down, but he only flared things up. Dumb.

Yeah, I thought it would divide people and I can see both sides. I just think (with a cool head) the guy was already on the ground, not posing any threat and the police running on to the pitch. The extra 2 kicks were unnessessary.

As it was a cup game I expect AZ Alkmaar will be kicked out for walking off.

Don't think he should have been given a red card since it had nothing to do with the match itself (though, obviously, if he went up and punched a fan in the stands I'd say it was justified for him to get sent off).

They should have investigated it later on and given him a fine or something for going a little OTT.

He (the goalkeeper) needed to be taken out of the game though, you could see he was freaking out (justifiably so having just been assaulted) and it was a combustible situation. Best to take him out of the equation altogether. I suppose the referee's line of thought could have been that the only course of action he could mandate was the sending off, as that was the only way he could remove the player from the pitch.

A more sensible course of action might have been for the referee to approach the AZ coach and request that, for the 'keeper's own good (and to maintain some semblance of calm) he substitute him. Unfortunately the referee can only operate within the scope of the rulebook and isn't afforded such flexibility, even in extreme cases like this.

im sorry not a red card. the guy attacked him and a footballer has a right to defend himself

He did defend himself.... them went on to give him a kicking whilst he was on the ground.

Referee Bas Nijhuis defended his decision to show Esteban a red card.

"I understand that Esteban was defending himself, but he walked to him (the supporter) and kicked him multiple times," Nijhuis said.

"He could also have walked away."

Yeah, I thought it would divide people and I can see both sides. I just think (with a cool head) the guy was already on the ground, not posing any threat and the police running on to the pitch. The extra 2 kicks were unnessessary.

As it was a cup game I expect AZ Alkmaar will be kicked out for walking off.

Under normal circumstances the home side would be kicked out for failing to control their supporters.

But as the home side were Ajax, you are probably right.

im sorry not a red card. the guy attacked him and a footballer has a right to defend himself

He did defend himself.... them went on to give him a kicking whilst he was on the ground.

Referee Bas Nijhuis defended his decision to show Esteban a red card.

"I understand that Esteban was defending himself, but he walked to him (the supporter) and kicked him multiple times," Nijhuis said.

"He could also have walked away."

heat of the moment for me. if somebody attacks you on the street and you swing back you will continue to do so until the police comes or somebody stops you.

Fan shouldnt be on the pitch and IMO gets what he deserved and i guarantee he wont do it again

He did defend himself.

Then he went from defending to attacking.

I'd have done the same. If somebody tries to hurt me, especially with a cheap shot from behind then I will make damn sure that they cant get back up to try again.

Rules should be that if it's self defence you don't get sent off.

This guy was defending himself. I can see how people think the kicks on the ground were unecessary, but imo he was making sure he didn't get back up. I'd have done exactly the same.

I do wish that he hadn't kicked him on the ground, and it was just the initial defence. If he'd got a red there, then I think we'd all be a bit more united in the injustice of the red.

He did defend himself.

Then he went from defending to attacking.

I'd have done the same. If somebody tries to hurt me, especially with a cheap shot from behind then I will make damn sure that they cant get back up to try again.

it it were a back street mugging then yes, you make sure he isn,t going to come back at you but this is on a football field, surrounded by 40,000 people about 1000 police and stewards. Once he falls to the ground its threat over. Stewards on him in about 2 seconds.

Â