Ajax - AZ Alkmaar Supporter attacks Goalkeeper

Genie

it it were a back street mugging then yes, you make sure he isn,t going to come back at you but this is on a football field, surrounded by 40,000 people about 1000 police and stewards. Once he falls to the ground its threat over. Stewards on him in about 2 seconds

but they werent as it took about 15 seconds and 3 or 4 blows before somebody stopped it

Beating somebody on the floor can still constitute defence in some instances, especially for the brief moment he did it for. I'm sure if the police considered his actions excessive then the fan wouldn't be the only one facing charges right now.

The goalkeeper knows nothing about this guy other than that he suddenly appeared behind him and attacked him. For all he knows the guy could have a knife; he could be back on his feet the second the keeper relents; he could elude the stewards and be after him again, like eg. streakers often manage to do. That situation is a matter of self-preservation against violent assault, not a time to be worrying about the laws of football or how to act properly in front of cameras. I admire the stance the Alkmaar coach took in ordering his players off the pitch.

Looks like the Dutch FA have ruled out any suspension for the keeper, but they have backed the ref in deciding to show the red. Seems a bit contradictory to me, but when FAs treat their officials as infallible then that's the kind of logical knot they end up in.

Anyone who would honestly be able to stop them self kicking the guy that attacked you from behind instantly is a far better man than me. I understand theres no need for a prolonged attack once the guy is on the floor but this keeper had less than 3 seconds and just instinct. Ive been jumped before and there is no way i could have composed myslef that quickly, though id like to think I stopped at a fair time.

The ref has to send him off by the rules though (which is stupid) as the rules state something like violent conduct towards players, official, staff and fans. Would have been nice if the ref had been able to just get him subbed off but the world we live in wont allow decision making these days

I hope they get to replay the game as it would be an awful reason to go out of the cup for a kind of gets the hooligan what he wants anyhow.

im sorry not a red card. the guy attacked him and a footballer has a right to defend himself

He did defend himself.

Then he went from defending to attacking.

Maybe our manager could learn a thing or two from him then.

The video is still available on the BBC web site

link

Thanks. From peoples' reactions I thought he was booting the hooligan in the head or something. If you sneak up and attack someone for no reason you deserve a good beating.

The way the keeper turns to the steward approaching him, immediately after kicking the fan, says everything about his state of mind at the time. He is clearly on edge (quite understandably) after being attacked from nowhere - his initial reaction to the steward is to be scared that another fan is approaching to attack him.

Given that state of mind, I doubt anyone would be able to hold back the extra couple of kicks given to the fan. Up until the steward comes, the keeper is acting instinctually out of fear.

Sorry if this goes slightly OT but last year in wolverhampton a guy tried to mug me with a knife. I hit this kid, and knife still in hand I jumped on top of him and carried on hitting him making sure he wasn't getting back up. there were two police officers walking around the corner who promptly arrested me. after explaining what had happened and after 5hrs in a cell I was told that had obtained cctv footage from a chippy over the road and as such my version of events had been collaborated. however, my first punch was 'self defence' the rest was 'excessive force' so I was charged with assault. like my case, one would hope that sometimes common sence would prevail over the letter of the law.

im sorry not a red card. the guy attacked him and a footballer has a right to defend himself

He did defend himself.

Then he went from defending to attacking.

I'd have done the same. If somebody tries to hurt me, especially with a cheap shot from behind then I will make damn sure that they cant get back up to try again.

it it were a back street mugging then yes, you make sure he isn,t going to come back at you but this is on a football field, surrounded by 40,000 people about 1000 police and stewards. Once he falls to the ground its threat over. Stewards on him in about 2 seconds.

What if the guy had a knife?

Maybe that's far fetched. BUt if it were me I'd make damn sure that **** didn't get back up.

What if the guy had a knife?

Maybe that's far fetched. BUt if it were me I'd make damn sure that **** didn't get back up.

Monica Seles says it's not so far fetched. Uncommon, sure, but in that moment the goalkeeper doesn't know whether he'll be tomorrow's tragic headline or not.

The 19 year-old assailant has been given a 30 year stadium ban and is being forced to pay the costs incurred from the match cancellation. The man who bought his ticket for him (the assailant was already serving a stadium ban) is also being held accountable.

Sorry if this goes slightly OT but last year in wolverhampton a guy tried to mug me with a knife. I hit this kid, and knife still in hand I jumped on top of him and carried on hitting him making sure he wasn't getting back up. there were two police officers walking around the corner who promptly arrested me. after explaining what had happened and after 5hrs in a cell I was told that had obtained cctv footage from a chippy over the road and as such my version of events had been collaborated. however, my first punch was 'self defence' the rest was 'excessive force' so I was charged with assault. like my case, one would hope that sometimes common sence would prevail over the letter of the law.

I hope nothing came of the charges. After the first act of self defnce did they expect the attacker to just walk off then? Of course he wouldnt, the continued fight was just more self defence

Â