All hail Stiliyan Petrov!

momo

Favourite goal out of that lot was the Palace goal. Fantastic day out with a late Petrov equaliser. Perfect.

I've always supported Petrov, like I do now with Ireland. I feel though that they get the same treatment, probably because they're not the perfect Centre Midfielders we want. They do different jobs to your bog standard player and I love them both for what they do, especially Stan!!

You're not seriously comparing Ireland to Petrov? :?

I don't dislike Petrov, I see that he offers the team a calm head...... but I hate watching him take freekicks & corners!

Except for his two great goals and deflection this season, he drags almost every shot he has and rarely seems to hit it with any exceptional power.

Honestly, I'd prefer anyone in the team to take a freekick instead of him, even Guzan.

" Don't rate him, he's been very average again this season, at best. Hasn't been as bad as he was last season though, probably because he hasn't been as defensive..."

Opinions are opinions and everyone is entitled to one, but that opinion is just wrong mate. Sorry

Petrov has been one of our most consistant and impressive performers...this year

opinions can also change about a player over a duration of time depending their performance

i didnt rate him at first, but now we couldnt leave him out the team, difficult to replace if he got injured

hes more like merson the 2nd

Have to say that Petrov is the best player in our squad, even with his legs going. Really hope MON isn't sniffing around him in January, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. MON will want a leader for his team, and I can't see Cattermole being that player.

" Don't rate him, he's been very average again this season, at best. Hasn't been as bad as he was last season though, probably because he hasn't been as defensive..."

Opinions are opinions and everyone is entitled to one, but that opinion is just wrong mate. Sorry

Petrov has been one of our most consistant and impressive performers...this year

claret75 are you watching the same team as me??? wed be **** without petrov look at us when hes not in the team compared to when he is. Best player at the club by a mile!!

Don't rate him, he's been very average again this season, at best. Hasn't been as bad as he was last season though, probably because he hasn't been as defensive.

Views like this often come from those who have never played, or understand the game

Petrov gets through an amazing amount of work, which usually goes unnoticed by the layman. He's been out best player this season

Don't rate him, he's been very average again this season, at best. Hasn't been as bad as he was last season though, probably because he hasn't been as defensive.

Views like this often come from those who have never played, or understand the game

Petrov gets through an amazing amount of work, which usually goes unnoticed by the layman. He's been out best player this season

Agreed!! Such a good player how people can say his no good is beyond me.

hes had bad games, but what player hasnt, hes a player that just knuckles down and gets on with the job, if only they were all like that, and not having pics took with a cigar in mouth wearing snake skin trousers...

hes had bad games, but what player hasnt, hes a player that just knuckles down and gets on with the job, if only they were all like that, and not having pics took with a cigar in mouth wearing snake skin trousers...

It isn't a cigar and it isn't Ireland wearing those trousers.

Im amazed people criticise Stan so much. I love it when people mention how bad he was last season but seem to forget after he was bought back into the team last season after being left out we had an upturn in results. Coincidence?????? I think not

Opinions ARE like arseholes, everyone's got one, but I'm wrong? That doesn't make sense.

Petrov's been crap again this season, it's just that seeing him playing in a more average side than we're used to watching makes him look slightly better than he is. He's scored 2 very good goals, but apart from that he flatters to deceive.

So are you saying I've never played the game? FYI I've played at a high enough standard when I was younger and could've made pro.

Petrov is one of the most overrated player I've seen at Villa. I'm not saying he's the worst player in the PL, but when people talk of him being one of the top CM's in the league (which many have in the past) I laugh. He does bring experience to the side and we do need him in some capacity at the moment, but that's only because we're struggling so much. He IS a solid pro, but no more than that.

Is he a better player than Scott Parker, Charlie Adam, Arteta, Suarez (CF I know)? No way, but I heard so many people saying they wouldn't have these players here because they weren't good enough or not better than what we had ie Petrov. It's a joke.

claret75 are you watching the same team as me??? wed be **** without petrov look at us when hes not in the team compared to when he is. Best player at the club by a mile!!

For me one of the best CM performance of the season was Swansea away. We had Herd and Delph playing in that one and while Delph didn't look too good, they actually worked very well as a pair, much better than Petrov had played with anyone this season.

For me one of the best CM performance of the season was Swansea away. We had Herd and Delph playing in that one and while Delph didn't look too good, they actually worked very well as a pair, much better than Petrov had played with anyone this season.

I'm with you C-75. Whilst I think he has been better this year, I just don't think he has the energy levels to play in a 2 man CM for a top half side.

He is being made to look good this year because McLeish has screwed up our CM by not getting a balance and not plugging the obvious hole - DCM - at the start of the season. A good DCM would bring out the best in Delph (instead of asking Delph to change his game completely and sit in there) and/or Bannan. Equally, I do believe Stan could play alongside a good DCM IF there were a third CM'er - an attacking CM'er or a link striker. For me this should have been our CM this season:

DCM: Mulumbu, with Herd/Clark as cover

Playmaker: Delph, Bannan or Stan

ACM: Shaqiri, Ireland or Gardner

a question which hasnt been asked

hes in his 30s now, do we keep him till he cant go anymore and retires, or do we sell him soonish whilst we still can and get a mil or so for him? to which, ireland will probably be his replacement

Im amazed people criticise Stan so much. I love it when people mention how bad he was last season but seem to forget after he was bought back into the team last season after being left out we had an upturn in results. Coincidence?????? I think not

If memory serves me right Petrov was brought back into the team mid season then dropped because of his form. He was then brought back into the side after we beat Everton (i think) and the side went on a good run. However, that run didnt just coincide with Petrov coming back but also with a few other first teamers getting back to full fitness.

At the time he was much needed and I agreed to that, but only because we were struggling so badly. My point is Petrov's a half decent player in a very average team and no more.