Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Di Canio is Roy Keane scenario all over. Fine when in lower league but a few prima donnas could drive him over the edge. though I doubt he is tactically clueless to play 3 wingers and midfielders at full back

I don't think it would be too hard to get Sunderland playing okay. Their squad isn't that bad. They just need organising a bit better. Which goes to show just how inept MON is as a manager in the modern game.

Could go one of 2 ways for them now. The either implode, shocked by all the additional stick they're getting over this appointment or the siege mentality will kick in. Not sure which it will be, but a big part of the fanbase isn't happy so it may not take them long to turn against him.

DiCanio appointment is either genius or insanity. We'll know in seven weeks, I guess.

Dunno - all he has to do is match villa's results over the next seven games and he's a hero. What I mean he could be very average and still keep them up....................I will go a bit further......as long as they don't implode they will stay up.

DiCanio appointment is either genius or insanity. We'll know in seven weeks, I guess.

Dunno - all he has to do is match villa's results over the next seven games and he's a hero. What I mean he could be very average and still keep them up....................I will go a bit further......as long as they don't implode they will stay up.

He's a complete wild card. He's such a loose cannon, they could very well implode. It could work great -- like he gets McClean and Sessegnon and Johnson all firing again -- and they might go on a crazy unbeaten run. Or he could alienate the whole squad and they might do sweet FA the rest of the season. I just hope we get to hear him singing "Dancing in the Moonlight" again, I loved that. One thing is for sure, it won't be boring.

On MON, I'm delighted the limited, clueless coward has been shown up for who he truly is - a very poor, out-of-date manager who has been dining out on his "reputation" and his mates in the media for far too long. I can't see him managing again and even if he does, I want to see him completely fail again.

With regards to Sunderland the mad fascist will either galvanise the team or they will completely implode. I hope its the latter although I can see the logic; they basically have nothing to lose. Lets face it, we could have followed this approach a few months back as there have been a fair few periods where our own "esteemed" manager has been ripe for the sack and in fact has been favourite on numerous occasions. They have a lot against them though; with only 7 games to go its a bit too little too late, and also their fixture list is worse than ours; they have fewer winnable games.

Its really going to come down to our games against them and Wigan as to who stays up. Hopefully when Di Nazio brings them to our place we can ensure our safety with a win; I just couldnt take it if we had to beat Wigan away to survive. 

I don't agree with Di Canio's political leanings one bit but I really don't know where the racist talk has come from. If he hasn't said anything to indicate then he holds racist beliefs then he can't really be accused of being racist. That said, Sunderland's denial of his fascist views is pretty strange.

Edited by Mantis

There were some interesting insights into it on today's Football Weekly from AC Jimbo who spent some fifteen years living in Rome.  The Italian perspective on Mussolini is quite different to the British one. 

On MON, I'm delighted the limited, clueless coward has been shown up for who he truly is - a very poor, out-of-date manager who has been dining out on his "reputation" and his mates in the media for far too long. I can't see him managing again and even if he does, I want to see him completely fail again.

I think this is right and in fact I think we should apply to the Premier League to have the official records changed in respect of his time at Villa to expunge the completely misleading impression that this limited and clueless coward achieved 6th place and European football 3 seasons in a row. We should insist that the historical tables show us being relegated each time which is clearly all this clueless coward could manage. We should also pay back the £35m or so merit payments we received for this performance since this clueless coward clearly couldn't merit anything.  ;)

Edited by briny_ear

I think this is right and in fact I think we should apply to the Premier League to have the official records changed in respect of his time at Villa to expunge the completely misleading impression that this limited and clueless coward achieved 6th place and European football 3 seasons in a row. We should insist that the historical tables show us being relegated each time which is clearly all this clueless coward could manage. We should also pay back the £35m or so merit payments we received for this performance since this clueless coward clearly couldn't merit anything.  ;)

Jesus. Let it go.

I don't agree with Di Canio's political leanings one bit but I really don't know where the racist talk has come from. If he hasn't said anything to indicate then he holds racist beliefs then he can't really be accused of being racist. That said, Sunderland's denial of his fascist views is pretty strange.

I suspect none of us actually have a clue as to his political beliefs. DiCanio has been saying for years that the "facsist not racist quote" was taken out of context and hyped up for attention, and it's not exactly hard to imagine the press doing that is it?!

I reckon he'll be a real success or an utter disaster - nothing inbetween. If nothing else, it'll be an interesting ride for the Sunderland fans!

MON did a very good to excellent job everywhere he's been, bar Sunderland. I reckon he's certainly lost his spark now though and I suspect his time has passed. Maybe one last hurrah as an international manager before retirement.

Given that they have taken 8 points from the last 24 available, an implosion would probably mean not picking up another point all season.

They've just lost two heavily influential players for the rest of the season - one of which has provided 1/3 of all their league goals.

They've scored 6 goals in their last 8 games (3 of which were penalties), and are looking at fixtures against Chelsea, a derby AWAY at Newcastle and Everton next up.

Sunderland are currently in just as much of a funk as we were when we were on that run following the Chelsea defeat.  Make no mistake, we are in much better shape than them at present, and should realistically be above them in the league wen we play them at the end of the month.

MON did a very good to excellent job everywhere he's been, bar Sunderland. I reckon he's certainly lost his spark now though and I suspect his time has passed. Maybe one last hurrah as an international manager before retirement.

However, despite all the hype, his record is barely any better than Alex McLeish.

However, despite all the hype, his record is barely any better than Alex McLeish.

this is actually true. even when competed as both at Old Firm was similar records. MON has that extra league cup to his name though McLeish cracking the middle of Old Firm probably a better achievement

He wrote in his autobiography that he worried about Muslims taking over Italy and losing his culture. Whilst he did praise integration of British immigration, the former is grossly offensive.

Â