Martin O'Neill

maqroll

But he's the best defender we've got, Zat. That's not saying much mind you

still doesnt make him a great signing, also would argue on form Dunne is a much better player

Dunne is a level above Cuellar I think. It's just a shame he's prone to odd awful clanger.

still doesnt make him a great signing, also would argue on form Dunne is a much better player

Of course you would. However, I think Cuellar is a lot more consistent and versatile. I'd take somebody who's good/average most games and rarely poor to somebody who can be great one game but absolutely shit the next.

Interesting.

Apart from being good at playing it out from the back (which is why Swansea bought him) I don't see anythign Vorm does superior to Given.

Oh and he's younger I suppose.

From what I've seen he also commands his area much better - which has always been Given's biggest problem.

I'd say Given might be a bit of a better shot-stopper (there aren't many better after all), but Vorm is hardly a slouch in that area.

Fair enough. I don't think vorm is much, if any better than Given at commanding his area. I think that's actually the main (only?) weakness for both keepers.

And to be more specific, it might be better phrased as "if we could do our summer business all over again" (we are, after all debating the overall value a transfer has offered) then Vorm instead would have given us £4.5m extra in transfer fees and somewhere in the region of £1.5m per year in wages. All for a fairly negligible drop in quality, if any at all.

That could easily be the difference between having say, Scott Dann in our defence all season.

Defence rests m'lud.

Won't really argue with that. That's a different argument and, given our current finances, it's one I'd agree with.

Dunne is comfortably a better defender than Cuellar.

It was £7.8 million and was a buy out clause. Cuellar is a good player; not worth that money, but he’s still a good player. Probably the whole package wasn’t good value, but he’s certainly not the worse of MON’s buys.

As to Dunne versus Cuellar. Dunne is a better defender for 90% of the time. Sadly the 10% of the time he isn’t has cost us goals and games. Cuellar is more reliable imo. Cuellar to me has also been a loyal servant and a likeable guy (not that that really means much...)

Dunne was in the best 11 of the premier league while he was playing under MON. What's happening under different managers is irrelevant when you're judging the manager who's brought him.

Say, McEck is sacked and another manager comes in and suddenly N'Zogbia becomes the second coming of Ashley Young, would Eck get the praise? No **** way - the new man would and deservingly. Same with players who have performed great under one manager and badly under another - it's not the fault of the manager under which he's played well.

The prices the club paid for Cuellar was pricey - So why did the club pay that money.

- If you remeber Villa had lost 2 of there best centre Backs in Mellberg and Laursen was forced into early retirement. Zak Knight was not good. enough.

- This left Villa short on center backs. CC had just single handily practically carried Rangers to the UEFA cup final with some awesome performances. As a result there was lot of demand for him.

- Rangers knew that Villa had the money to spend and Villa needed a center back and knew there was a buy out clause.

- Carlos Cueallr is a no nonese defender that reads the game well. Villas defense would have been worse of without him. How much did City pay for Lescott and co..?

- If you remeber Villa had lost 2 of there best centre Backs in Mellberg and Laursen was forced into early retirement. Zak Knight was not good. enough

Laursen was still here at time and we let Mellberg go on a free and 8 months earlier let Cahill go for 5 million

- This left Villa short on center backs. CC had just single handily practically carried Rangers to the UEFA cup final with some awesome performances. As a result there was lot of demand for him.

really wasnt that much,

- Carlos Cueallr is a no nonese defender that reads the game well. Villas defense would have been worse of without him. How much did City pay for Lescott and co..?

he really doesnt, his lack of reading of the game cost Villa a penalty at Emirates as Dunne was forced to take the man down. Question should be how much did City pay for Kompany who was signed in same window or Everton pay for Jagielka

• 1 month later...

Was listening to Gary Lineker saying on MOTD last night that "if the Premier League had started when MON took over Sunderland, Sunderland would be third."

That is indeed true - a table of results since 11 December (MON's first game against Blackburn) looks like this

PremsinceMON1.jpg

It's marginally misleading because not all clubs have played the same number of games but even on a points per game table it's a pretty impressive 5th.

PremsinceMON2.jpg

And look where Villa are. Right down there in the depths. It doesn't make you feel so good about Villa's season, or our recent history, does it? :(

Was listening to Gary Lineker saying on MOTD last night that "if the Premier League had started when MON took over Sunderland, Sunderland would be third."

That is indeed true - a table of results since 11 December (MON's first game against Blackburn) looks like this

PremsinceMON1.jpg

It's marginally misleading because not all clubs have played the same number of games but even on a points per game table it's a pretty impressive 5th.

PremsinceMON2.jpg

And look where Villa are. Right down there in the depths. It doesn't make you feel so good about Villa's season, or our recent history, does it? :(

So what?

Terry Connor aside lots of new managers start well.

Â