Redundancy (Sanity) Advice

AVFCLaura

Hi All,

I've just had my first redundancy meeting (supposedly informal) and it went from we've made no decisions, to a letter inviting me to a meeting to put forward my case and see if my job will be made redundant to then being offered an 'enhanced redundancy' package with my last day being December 16th, which was then mutually agreed that I wouldn't have to work the last 2 weeks, so I am now redundant effective immediately. (Pending signing an agreement and sorting everything out properly.)

I've been home for an hour and I am bored already.

I am doing all the right things with regards to job searching and will continue to do so, I am also doing 2 training courses which I can concentrate on completing now.

Anyone have any tips to retain my sanity during this time where realistically I could be out of work for 4+ weeks? I've never been unemployed since school, in work solidly for 7 years and I am absolutely not used to having more than 2 consecutive days off work.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

I've just had my first redundancy meeting (supposedly informal) and it went from we've made no decisions, to a letter inviting me to a meeting to put forward my case and see if my job will be made redundant to then being offered an 'enhanced redundancy' package with my last day being December 16th, which was then mutually agreed that I wouldn't have to work the last 2 weeks, so I am now redundant effective immediately. (Pending signing an agreement and sorting everything out properly.)

I've been home for an hour and I am bored already.

I am doing all the right things with regards to job searching and will continue to do so, I am also doing 2 training courses which I can concentrate on completing now.

Anyone have any tips to retain my sanity during this time where realistically I could be out of work for 4+ weeks? I've never been unemployed since school, in work solidly for 7 years and I am absolutely not used to having more than 2 consecutive days off work.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear that Laura though gather from previous posts that you had an idea it was coming. I suppose that you have your CV on the likes of "jobsite" monster" "Total Jobs"

Really cant think of anything to keep you sane as a I would be ripping my hair out after a week as only ever been unemployed for 2 weeks since leaving school in 85.

What courses are you doing?

What do you do?

Office Management / Training & Development / Customer Service / Administration / Entry Level HR / PA - anything like that.

I'm a pretty handy organizer and have all round project management skills. High level of computer literacy, qualifications in ICT and Business.

Sorry to hear that Laura though gather from previous posts that you had an idea it was coming. I suppose that you have your CV on the likes of "jobsite" monster" "Total Jobs"

Really cant think of anything to keep you sane as a I would be ripping my hair out after a week as only ever been unemployed for 2 weeks since leaving school in 85.

What courses are you doing?

Yes Jobsite & Monster, finding Indeed to be the best for job searching, also Guardian jobs sometimes has some good posts.

I am doing Equality & Diversity and Business & Administration Principles. Just to put some additions to the qualifications section of my CV. I don't have a Degree, I went straight to work after A Levels.

I feel completely lost being at home right now.

Sorry to hear about your situation, Laura.

I was made redundant in the summer and it's never fun.

The best news now is that you have all the time in the world to find a new job. The drawback is that you have to make sure you use your time wisely ;)

Enjoy having the time to do what you want to do but also try to use the time as profitably as possible. I've spent lots of time reading on subjects that would help me in my next job and studying stuff that I've learned in the past but mostly forgotten.

To make best use of your time, make sure you stick to a fairly rigid schedule. My approach was to at least start every day as if you were still working. Get up at the same time and start work on your job search as early in the morning as possible. That way, it won't be such a major readjustment when you start work again. As you say, you're probably doing all this already though so Gareth's suggestion of an Xbox or Playstation isn't that bad an idea. You'll need to find things to fill your day but you could also take up a new hobby. I started to play the guitar (although progress is still slow).

I've also tried a bit of volunteering which was good up until the point that I couldn't commit to schedules as I needed to prioritise interviews.

Ultimately, unless you've got pots of money, you'll need to concentrate on your job search at the expense of everything else but you should still have plenty of time to read/watch movies/take up a hobby/see friends.

Sucks that it's this close to Christmas but I'm sure you'll end up in something much bigger and better before too long.

Buy an Xbox 360 and Skyrim.

and hardcore pron.

as well as:

an afternoon in a coffee house with a book, DS, or the like.

christmas browsing/shopping depending on how awesome your pacakage will be.

enthralling DVD box set with constant cliffhangers (eats up hours).

i.e if you havent seen 24, you're sorted until christmas.

villa talk discussions

start up your own business on ebay and sell old stuff you don't use/need.

clear out house/room/flat and do the above.

if you have lots of friends and families with small kids what about something like this:

http://www.nubyathome.co.uk/

learn a language at an evening course.

but seriously an xbox and skyrim you'd never leave the house.

Skyrim keeps young people indoors for longer periods of time than Fritzl.

Just Googled Skyrim and found:

Skyrim, also known as the Old Kingdom or the Fatherland, is the home of the Nords and the setting for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It was the first region of Tamriel to be settled by humans, who migrated there from the land of Atmora in the far north, across the Sea of Ghosts. The date of this migration is unknown, although it was before the full flourishing of Elvish civilization. According to legend, Ysgramor landed first at Hsaarik Head, at the extreme northern tip of Skyrim's Broken Cape. It is said that he and his companions were fleeing the civil war in Atmora, which at that time had a sizable population. They named the land Mereth, after the many elves that roamed the virgin forests of Tamriel.
This

...and was reminded of:

"I am Throngor, Dark Lord of the S'nith. I come bearing the Sword of Flangewort, which I must thrust into the heart of Blagstang, Thane of the Dragonhorde, who has usurped the House of M'nath, and holds the fortress of Grok, far, far beyond the frozen forest of Mishrigeb, where the evil wolfenbeast stalks the Children of Flimflam, until the prophesey of Kaagdron shall come to pass, and the Princess Startremble takes her rightful place among the Golden Fields of Dripwang".
That

It's true. You really can't parody this stuff.

Laura just keep on with the courses, has your employer indicated that they may be able to offer you extra funding before you leave to help you gain future employment? It may be something they do as others do it but dont scream it out.

Its all very dodgy at the moment! something is going on where I work at the moment in that they are tarting everything up, we are owned by yanks who are a capital investment company and they must really think we are stupid no realising that we are being sold, especially as we are making record sales at the moment.

I applied for a job a few weeks ago and after 3 weeks of interviewing I am the only one being called back but now I am in a position where I am not sure if its worth staying or going as it could turn out like you where you are being laid off (if buyer already has a main H & S Department) or it could be more sites to look after which could mean a car and more money.

Skyrim is for people with no life or bad marrages!!! :lol:

Laura, have you thought about Temp work? From what you've said, your skill sets might be just the sort of thing the Temp agencies are looking for.

A friend of mine works for three different companies during the week as an account/office admin worker. She started off a couple of years ago with an agency (Pertemps?) and hasn't looked back since.

Just a thought.

Si is right re Temp work, that's how my wife got her now permanent job as a result of temp work.

A lot of companies are looking at the temp market as it's even easier to hire / fire, which is a bad thing long term but at least it keeps the CV full and often you can pick up new skills

Also use sites like Linkedin, post your profile on there and update your skills and state you are looking for work

Temp market is always great for the short-term but it does kind of limit your time available to find your dream job. Prospective employers are generally fairly inflexible when it comes to interview slots and if you're temping somewhere, it might be difficult to get away at relatively short notice. Does keep the money coming in though and as drat says, a lot of companies are forgoing permanent jobs in favour of shorter-term contracts while we all wait for the economy to pick up.

Linked-in is definitely a good shout though. Lots of things crop up on there.

Â