Redundancy (Sanity) Advice

AVFCLaura

i got mate redundant around this time 3 years ago (by txt msg aswel), i spent 11 weeks out before my old company took me back when the work picked up, a lot of companys are doing this atm, making people redundant and then taking them back on on reduced wages etc so you never know you might be taken back on.

as for what to do, join a gym (if u dont go to one already), anyone u know that has a dog, offer to take it on walks during the day, small things like this take a few hours of the day away.

and wait till it gets dark then go and throw a big **** off rock through the window of your old company

Recruitment is an expensive business so firms will jump at the chance to employ someone directly rather than have to pay agency fees.

I would extend what you did when you wrote to Derby County FC to other companies. Call up various companies, obtain the name of the person in charge of recruitment, write to them with your CV and then follow it up with a phonecall (crucial step). They may not have jobs available but if you impress, they will keep your details for any suitable vacancy that may crop up in the near future. If they bin your CV without reading it, they may feel guilty and will take more notice when you follow it up with a phonecall.

The Times top 100 graduate employers is a good start - even if you're not a graduate (not every job with these companies are graduate level). It will give you a brief background on each company with contact details and the sort of employee they are looking for. This is decent background information to use when you make your phonecall to them.

As for passing the time - Diagnosis Murder & Cheers are essential daytime TV viewing.

The only advice I cangive really as someone who is employed and has a fair commute to and from, is that I am actually saving money for the first time in my adult career, as I simply have no time in the mornings/evenings to spend money, and too tired to do much at weekends.

You on the other hand, are time rich. If you are even of average luck, you should get a job reasonably soon. Even at 10% unemployment, 9 out of 10 are working. You seem a bright, intelligent young positive woman with a strong work ethic. You are therefore a better bet than most who are looking, and despite the recession, many companies, even if not "growing" still need bodies to do the work. People do die, win the lottery, emigrate, or just get sacked for being rubbish, and even maternity cover willdo you for a year, and frankly, theres loads spawning at our place!

So, this brief window of time rich, which I totally envy, is actually an opportunity. Have you for years wanted to try a sport, lose weight, learn cooking, or some other thing. Just do it. If you throw all your energies into something you want to achieve, it will a - kill time, b - improve self image and c - be something to show to emplyers how you constructively fulfulled yourself in your time out.

If I was made redundant, there's so much I would choose to do.

What do you do?

Office Management / Training & Development / Customer Service / Administration / Entry Level HR / PA - anything like that.

I'm a pretty handy organizer and have all round project management skills. High level of computer literacy, qualifications in ICT and Business.

Jaguar Landrover are hiring shit loads of people for all of their sites from production operatives to HR, engineering, finance etc.

They pay well and best of all you'd get to hang out with me and Stevo 8)

What do you do?

Office Management / Training & Development / Customer Service / Administration / Entry Level HR / PA - anything like that.

I'm a pretty handy organizer and have all round project management skills. High level of computer literacy, qualifications in ICT and Business.

Jaguar Landrover are hiring shit loads of people for all of their sites from production operatives to HR, engineering, finance etc.

Some of the HR department are words removed there though, who want people with degrees over people with associated qualifications and experience.

Where do you pair work at Jaguar Land Rover, out of interest? I worked there years ago for 6 and a half years and my dad was there for his entire career...

If you fancy a breif change, enrol with an education supply agency and work as a Teaching Assistant. You only really need A-Levels and to express an interest in working with children (and a CRB check).

Around 60 quid for 9-3:30, quite rewarding (especially if you go to a SEN school) and around xmas there are loads of staff off, and days are EASY due to school performances/xmas concers/DVDs etc.

What do you do?

Some of the HR department are words removed there though, who want people with degrees over people with associated qualifications and experience.

Where do you pair work at Jaguar Land Rover, out of interest? I worked there years ago for 6 and a half years and my dad was there for his entire career...

I worked on the track and was looking at going back under my current safety role but there is nothing. Cant see any track jobs advertised for my son.

What do you do?

Why don't you just say, I'm a secretary

What do you do?

I worked on the track and was looking at going back under my current safety role but there is nothing. Cant see any track jobs advertised for my son.

www.jaguarlandrovercareers.com/Solihull they're after 800 track workers

perhaps you can inform me then why the Evoque is so cheap but so awesome?

from what £25k?

what did they compromise to produce a luxury range rover at that price

Its a freelander underneath which keeps the costs down. It is awesome. Just won car of the year. Imagine if they made a convertible version :!:

We're both based at Gaydon

Glad you never said you worked at Gaydon, extended breaks and all that winding down in the canteen on a Friday............ :lol:

how did you know that? :suspect::D

Im in the IT department, get all the server logs, so i know who, what, when and how long your all on the net........ :winkold:

We had the memo, from TATA, looks like your early finish Fridays up for grabs.

PS OP good luck on the job front.

Wow, thanks all for the great advice! :thumb:

Laura, have you thought about Temp work? From what you've said, your skill sets might be just the sort of thing the Temp agencies are looking for.

A friend of mine works for three different companies during the week as an account/office admin worker. She started off a couple of years ago with an agency (Pertemps?) and hasn't looked back since.

Just a thought.

Yes, I have sent my CV to 8 agencies in the local area but also intend to pop in and see them all tomorrow as they have all been extremely quiet, so I need to get in their faces a little.

Si is right re Temp work, that's how my wife got her now permanent job as a result of temp work.

Yes it's how I got my second to last also.

Temp market is always great for the short-term but it does kind of limit your time available to find your dream job. Prospective employers are generally fairly inflexible when it comes to interview slots and if you're temping somewhere, it might be difficult to get away at relatively short notice.

Also a good point, I am looking for a dream job / career. I have around 3 months worth of money to tide me over through notice & redundancy but obviously would rather not live on it - but it's probable that I will have to.

i got mate redundant around this time 3 years ago (by txt msg aswel), i spent 11 weeks out before my old company took me back when the work picked up

as for what to do, join a gym (if u dont go to one already), anyone u know that has a dog, offer to take it on walks during the day, small things like this take a few hours of the day away.

Wow, companies are funny aren't they. It is potentially possible that my company could pick up and re-employ but I would never go back. I've closed that chapter now, I'm ready to move on and I need to grow.

I have a treadmill at home which I will be using as much as possible and will have a think about friends with dogs - thanks!

I would extend what you did when you wrote to Derby County FC to other companies. Call up various companies, obtain the name of the person in charge of recruitment, write to them with your CV and then follow it up with a phonecall (crucial step). They may not have jobs available but if you impress, they will keep your details for any suitable vacancy that may crop up in the near future.

Yes, I have written to East Midlands Trains and their lovely HR Manager has invited me in to do a weeks experience with them in January, it will keep me busy, keep me in an Office environment and keep me sane! Also, who knows, it may lead to employment in the future.

Even at 10% unemployment, 9 out of 10 are working.

This made me chuckle :)

So, this brief window of time rich, which I totally envy, is actually an opportunity. Have you for years wanted to try a sport, lose weight, learn cooking, or some other thing. Just do it. If you throw all your energies into something you want to achieve, it will a - kill time, b - improve self image and c - be something to show to emplyers how you constructively fulfulled yourself in your time out.

If I was made redundant, there's so much I would choose to do.

Honestly, it appears that way in theory, but having never had more than 10 consecutive days off in the last 7 years, it's incredibly difficult to cope with. I am on day 4 and I am finding it tough. Who knows though, tomorrow is another day.

Do they have offices in Derby?

If you fancy a breif change, enrol with an education supply agency and work as a Teaching Assistant. You only really need A-Levels and to express an interest in working with children (and a CRB check).

Around 60 quid for 9-3:30, quite rewarding (especially if you go to a SEN school) and around xmas there are loads of staff off, and days are EASY due to school performances/xmas concers/DVDs etc.

Unfortunately, I hate children. I'm not sure I could spend a day with a bunch of them for 600 quid, let alone 60!

Why don't you just say, I'm a secretary

I've never been a secretary, always managed staff.

Smart ass.;)

Joking aside Laura, enjoy the time off, relax, chill out, find time to really map out what you want next

Keep busy, have a routine, don't watch daytime TV etc

I'm mapping out a daily and weekly schedule, with time scales, activities, job searching, treadmill etc - anyone have any recommendations / advice for this?

Â