Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

it just seems to have lost its value. if couples still believe in it then great, I love it when I hear people say they have been married 30 40 year etc and their still as happy as they was when they first got together. fair play to them

yes definitely, just don't believe in marriage much

Out of curiosity, If you have kids together, live together and are attempting to be monogomous, what is it about marriage that you don't like?

Genuine question, in that I wouldn't have thought you have any easier route to splitting up now you've been together a while and have family?

Is it just the whole 'wedding planning / wedding ceremony' rubbish or is it the thought of a ring on a finger cutting off your freedom? Or something else?

I'm just nosey.

I just don't really believe in it for myself, yes I don't fancy spending thousands on something I don't believe in but I am trying to see her point of view, to be honest id have more freedom if I got married because it would show her how much I love her and everything would be so much better for her. im would not be ashamed to say im married I just struggle with the idea of it. maybe I have commitment issues I don't know

it just seems to have lost its value.

I can't think of a single reason why a man would get married these days.

All it does is to legally entitle a woman to the assets of the man.

Family law is hostile to men, so why sign way your rights?

Statistically women are far more likely to initiate divorce than men.

The law provides the incentive.

• Like 2

Love isn't sufficient reason then?

I'm not big on the whole cake / guest list / cans behind an old car schtick, but equally, I've got no problem with it. It doesn't have to be done to excess and be a show wedding costing thousands, but lots of people and family like the tradition and the event and all that. I won't be pushing one way or the other when my kids get to that age, it's their call. But for me it felt like the right and comfortable thing to do. Totally happy with it.

I'm speaking from a point of bias I guess, in 6 months time I'll have been with my other half for 30 years.

I'm not big on the whole cake / guest list / cans behind an old car schtick, but equally, I've got no problem with it. It doesn't have to be done to excess and be a show wedding costing thousands, but lots of people and family like the tradition and the event and all that. I won't be pushing one way or the other when my kids get to that age, it's their call. But for me it felt like the right and comfortable thing to do. Totally happy with it.

I'm speaking from a point of bias I guess, in 6 months time I'll have been with my other half for 30 years.

Love doesn't need certification, legal seal or public ceremony.

And, sadly, longevity does not always mitigate against future break up - it is amazing how many couples in their Sixties are getting divorced these days.

Love doesn't need certification, legal seal or public ceremony.

And, sadly, longevity does not always mitigate against future break up - it is amazing how many couples in their Sixties are getting divorced these days.

you're right of course, a calm cool headed study of the statistics, cost benefit analysis and legal position suggests binding public declarations of love may not be to the advantage of the male in the long run

but I'm clearly a bit more crazy rock n roll reckless than the average price comparison website spreadsheet

People have different needs/wants in life. I don't think it is fair to castigate people who get married, nor do I think it is fair to ostracise those who choose to remain single. The latter tends to happen far too often, which is a bit disgraceful. 'How dare you not conform!' etc.

I would say though, if you are going into a marriage with concerns over assets, then you're probably with the wrong person.

People have different needs/wants in life. I don't think it is fair to castigate people who get married, nor do I think it is fair to ostracise those who choose to remain single. The latter tends to happen far too often, which is a bit disgraceful. 'How dare you not conform!' etc.

I would say though, if you are going into a marriage with concerns over assets, then you're probably with the wrong person.

Talking straight about marriage is always difficult because the prevailing sentiment is that it should be approved of, and on public occasions applause is actually expected, so it is never greeted as just a choice like any other, approval always seems to be expected and even demanded.

On the other hand, single people are usually not only never congratulated, except ironically, they are usually expected to explain why.

As for the the self-interested assessment about money and the transfer of assets, this is only disapproved of when men do it but is considered romantic when women do it.

The whole of English literature is littered with poor heroins trying to marry into money - from Cinderella to Bridget Jones.

I am not sure why in the age of equality that women should enjoy this privilege and men not.

Talking straight about marriage is always difficult because the prevailing sentiment is that it should be approved of, and on public occasions applause is actually expected, so it is never greeted as just a choice like any other, approval always seems to be expected and even demanded.

On the other hand, single people are usually not only never congratulated, except ironically, they are usually expected to explain why.

As for the the self-interested assessment about money and the transfer of assets, this is only disapproved of when men do it but is considered romantic when women do it.

The whole of English literature is littered with poor heroins trying to marry into money - from Cinderella to Bridget Jones.

I am not sure why in the age of equality that women should enjoy this privilege and men not.

She either said no....or you haven't had a girlfriend.

• Like 3

I'm not sure women do have a position of privilege over men.

Possibly in this one narrow field, if it is indeed true that some women marry for money and some men are too dumb to see it.

But perhaps overall, I'd suggest men still hold the upper hand as a sweeping generality.

As for social mores demanding approval of marriage and explanation of a single lifestyle, personally I don't see that. Or certainly only rarely. One of my mates is single and I have been asked by others in the office if I suspect he's gay. I've said I'm 90% sure he is. In fact, he's actually having an affair with one of our female Clients and they both need it kept secret. If people are shallow enough to need to know stuff like that, then I'm happy to misinform.

If you're happy in yourself, I'm not sure 'people' questioning your status is a big deal, surely?

I do think women's rights still need to be strengthened as a general point, including some points of positive discrimination in some areas.

19951225-howard-j-_1817007i.jpg

Edited by chrisp65

Says you, but as my missus is the bread-winner (and vastly more employable), we've long since agreed that I get to be a house-husband as soon as she's on a big enough salary.

Just as long as her dinner's ready when she gets home, so she doesn't have to give me a black eye again. :thumb:

• Like 2

Â