Jewelry

kidlewis

I've emailed safeguard in Birmingham asking how accurate are the prices on jewellery tv in comparison to their valuations as the quality of the ring results in quotes double the price on the high street.

I would expect the valuation they give to be more than £799 considering (even though the diamonds are SI not VS) that the value would be more.

I got quoted £1,775 for a similar ring from that jewllers in the quarter and the one in Maidstone.

surely SI instead of VS quality diamonds wouldn't cost an extra £800!!!!??

Yup probably would - and to be honest, you won't see the difference on a hand. SI IIRC is visible to the naked eye but you have to work hard..... VS is one of those Jewellers eye telescope things.....

SI from what I read you still need x10 magnification (or at least one helluva eye) to see imperfections, VS would be difficult to tell even with an eye piece).

but £800 difference?

if so then sod it SI will do, it's more about the stone in the centre I think.

AAA tanzanite will look nice, colour is lovely.

I've emailed safeguard in Birmingham asking how accurate are the prices on jewellery tv in comparison to their valuations as the quality of the ring results in quotes double the price on the high street.

I would expect the valuation they give to be more than £799 considering (even though the diamonds are SI not VS) that the value would be more.

I got quoted £1,775 for a similar ring from that jewllers in the quarter and the one in Maidstone.

surely SI instead of VS quality diamonds wouldn't cost an extra £800!!!!??

Yup probably would - and to be honest, you won't see the difference on a hand. SI IIRC is visible to the naked eye but you have to work hard..... VS is one of those Jewellers eye telescope things.....

SI from what I read you still need x10 magnification (or at least one helluva eye) to see imperfections, VS would be difficult to tell even with an eye piece).

but £800 difference?

if so then sod it SI will do, it's more about the stone in the centre I think.

AAA tanzanite will look nice, colour is lovely.

Most people would easily see inclusions at I Grade

Most people would see Inclusions at SI with a jewllers 10X loupe and trained eyes without, I could pick up on an SI

VSI a trained grader would need a Loupe

Anything above that is prestigious

The clarity does in fact affect more than you would think. The brilliance and fire generally increase the higher the clarity grade.

Would I pay more for VSI as an accent? No, they are only accenting stones not the main centrepiece so i wouldnt spend the extra £800 personally.

If you are going to get a diamond with an EGL certificate, check what the Cut grade is. Generally, most people think this is just about the shape but theres a whole new world when you go into depth about the cut. A great clarity stone with a poor cut will have the approximate similar appearance of perhaps an SI with an excellent cut.

There are many factors that increase a diamonds value, but all in all if its only as the accent stone i wouldnt shell out the extra £800.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

bought one!

pink sapphire with brilliant cut diamonds either side. 0.2ct VS G colour diamonds and the pink sapphire looks awesome!

was meant to be £1,900 and dealt cash for £900 in the end. it was on offer as well but the original price was £1,900.

was part of a collection with earings, neclace and a few othe rings, all of which got sold and this one was left for months.

they wanted new stock in the window and put it on offer for November only, so I got there just in time really.

needs resizing and will propose this saturday, most likely where Shakespeare was born and recite one of my own songs or a section of Romeo and Juliet.

or probably just propose shaking the ring up to her on one knee like Mohammed Ali with a bout of the Norovirus.

bought one!

pink sapphire with brilliant cut diamonds either side. 0.2ct VS G colour diamonds and the pink sapphire looks awesome!

was meant to be £1,900 and dealt cash for £900 in the end. it was on offer as well but the original price was £1,900.

was part of a collection with earings, neclace and a few othe rings, all of which got sold and this one was left for months.

they wanted new stock in the window and put it on offer for November only, so I got there just in time really.

needs resizing and will propose this saturday, most likely where Shakespeare was born and recite one of my own songs or a section of Romeo and Juliet.

or probably just propose shaking the ring up to her on one knee like Mohammed Ali with a bout of the Norovirus.

Congratulations mate!

I'm proposing in New York on new year. I've spent the last two months looking and pricing up different rings and diamonds, it's so much more complicated than I realised. You can't just walk in and go 'that one', like I do with all my other purchases

I still haven't got it yet, but it's been ordered. It must feel good to finally get your hands on it. Just have to hope she says yes now :winkold:

photo.jpg

BOOM!

Someone change the thread title as she said yes and I am engaged.

:)

Went for a lovely meal at the baraset barn near Stratford. Usual v high quality and lovely atmosphere. Then went for a walk around the RSC gardens and proposed overlooking the river Avon on a nicely lit bridge.

Completely surprised her!

Thanks for the help with the ring have a look and see what you think. In the end I got that ring which was priced at £1,800 down to £900 paid for one resizing and another one free if it's not quite right :)

photo.jpg

BOOM!

Someone change the thread title as she said yes and I am engaged.

:)

Went for a lovely meal at the baraset barn near Stratford. Usual v high quality and lovely atmosphere. Then went for a walk around the RSC gardens and proposed overlooking the river Avon on a nicely lit bridge.

Completely surprised her!

Thanks for the help with the ring have a look and see what you think. In the end I got that ring which was priced at £1,800 down to £900 paid for one resizing and another one free if it's not quite right :)

Congratulations dude!!

really pleased about that mate. next up, course in photography, the ring isnt focused haha but the color looks amazing!!

• 1 year later...

Right, got a question for any diamond enthusiasts/experts amongst us; which out of the two would be the better value for the money?

• 0.33 carat, I colour, I1 clarity with more facets for £1499
  • 0.24 carat, G colour, SI1 clarity with less facets for £1350

Bear in mind that I'll be chancing my arm at getting the more expensive one to price-match with the cheaper one, in which case it'll purely be down to size vs. quality of each diamond.

Right, got a question for any diamond enthusiasts/experts amongst us; which out of the two would be the better value for the money?

Bear in mind that I'll be chancing my arm at getting the more expensive one to price-match with the cheaper one, in which case it'll purely be down to size vs. quality of each diamond.

What's wrong with a quality piece of Haribo?

• Like 1

As with most things in like, women always appreciate size over quality.

Bennett Villa's post at the top of the page is brilliant advice.

Edited by Eames
  • Like 1

I'd go option C: Cubic Zirconia and spunk the rest of the money on a summer holiday.

Edit: I fear this thread may not be serving you as well as you'd hoped it might.

Edited by Shillzz

Â