Jewelry

kidlewis

I found that one initially, where I started my search and emailed them to increase the size of the diamonds either side.

I could go with saphire gems if that helps. It's also her birthstone (born in june) so if that is better then can go for that.

she likes the colour of aquamarine, but also pink saphires too.

Oh and regarding White Gold or Platinum, obviously Platinum is more expensive because it has a higher purity, rarity and it is heavier.

If you have money to spare and want to go for Platinum it is more resistant to scratches on the whole and yes you don't have to take it in for maintenance because it's really hard to lose lustre on Platinum.

But White Gold, IMO is the beauty of Platinum without the cost. And speaking as a girl, it's all about the gemstone. I would rather a White Gold ring with a higher carat weight on the gemstones (if size is your girls thing) or a more expensive cut on the diamonds.

At first glance and to most normal people it's really difficult to tell the difference between Platinum and White Gold.

well this is what I thought. I only thought of the hassle of getting it treated every so often.

well perhaps I will get quotes based on white gold as I originally planned and see if I can (as you say) get larger better stones.

she isn't overly bothered about size, but needs to be quality and not pointlessly small.

fortunately I am quality and a decent size so she gets both benefits :)

it's certainly emerald cut stones, with diamonds either side of a gemstone (pink saphire, saphire, aquamarine). Those are really my only fixed criteria from what we discussed a few years ago.

white gold as a ring

size, clarity, colour etc all depends on what I can get for the money.

Is Tanzanite an option? Stunning gemstone a 1,000 times rarer than diamond, mined in only one place on earth (clue is in the name) massively collectable, coveted and looks smilar to Sapphire but has more of a range of colour within the gem.

Until a few years back and probably still today on some High Streets, some Jewellers have never even come across Tanzanite.

Tanzanite 18k White Gold. Found here.

Tanzanite-Diamond-Ring-300.jpg

There are some stunning rings outside of the Emerald cut also but if that is what she has set her heart on then stick with it.

Regarding certified diamonds, yes, it matters. Although most diamonds you will find look the same / similar on the surface, not all are going to be of the quality you might be expecting. Your certification is your diamond’s written proof of its attributes. The value is a lot lower without certification, there is no assurance that the diamond you are buying is of the quality you’re paying for. Also important for insurance reasons.

Certification also means you can make a good comparison with other diamonds – whether in the same jewellery store or in another.

Yes tanzanite is an option. does look very nice that ring, although not sure on the diamonds either side.

based on the value on that website I could look to improve on aspects as I have a bit more to spend.

that stone above looks lovely.

no I wouldn't say just as important, it's just something I am aware of.

I think if the centre stone is emerald cut and the ring looks laaaaaaarvley then she won't mind.

unless the side stones are cock cut or something equally dodgy.

An Emerald Cut stone also looks larger for its carat weight than a Princess/Solitare cut when its set......

True but an Emerald cut diamond doesn't have as much sparkle as a Princess or Brilliant Round cut. It doesn't bounce light off well because there are less facets.

Princess is more modern, the Round and Emerald are more traditional.

Alternatively there's the Asscher cut. It is a combination of all of the above, it's gorgeous. More of a square step cut with cropped corners. Lot more sparkle.

MT03-347(1).jpg

the ones you linked before doesn't say they are certified.

just had a call from someone at marlow jewelers saying that for a 0.4 total diamond carat stones with a 0.7 carat gem in the middle you wouldn't want to pay more for certification because it's more about the centre stone than the smaller diamonds either side.

she gave a quote of

emerald cut aquamarine and two diamonds

0.7 aqua and 0.2 diamonds eitheer side

18ct white gold

£1250 incl vat

also said get me quote on tanzanite and saphire centre stones. price with and without uncertified diamonds.

Is Tanzanite an option? Stunning gemstone a 1,000 times rarer than diamond, mined in only one place on earth (clue is in the name) massively collectable, coveted and looks smilar to Sapphire but has more of a range of colour within the gem.

Until a few years back and probably still today on some High Streets, some Jewellers have never even come across Tanzanite.

Tanzanite 18k White Gold. Found here.

Tanzanite-Diamond-Ring-300.jpg

There are some stunning rings outside of the Emerald cut also but if that is what she has set her heart on then stick with it.

Regarding certified diamonds, yes, it matters. Although most diamonds you will find look the same / similar on the surface, not all are going to be of the quality you might be expecting. Your certification is your diamond’s written proof of its attributes. The value is a lot lower without certification, there is no assurance that the diamond you are buying is of the quality you’re paying for. Also important for insurance reasons.

Certification also means you can make a good comparison with other diamonds – whether in the same jewellery store or in another.

I like this one :) think she would too.

not sure on the actual size of that ring though, need to see it in person/on a finger.

as it's £1,195 I wonder if I can get that but BIGGER

not that size matters but I have the money to if poss.

Personally I would feel like buying diamonds without certification is like buying a Villa shirt from a guy around corner from Villa Park claiming it's the real deal at a cheaper price because it doesn't come with the right labels. It looks like a Villa shirt, smells like a Villa shirt (balti pie, innit), it might well be a Villa shirt - but are you going to feel as good wearing it as you would buying it from VP? Probably not... I wouldn't want that feeling with an engagement ring.

And it will affect your insurance on the piece.

In fact, to quite Marlow Jewllers OWN WEBSITE (in the Jewellery Qtr, right?)

A diamond that has been certificated by an independent laboratory is your guarantee of the quality and characteristics of the diamond you choose.The diamond report confirms:

•the stone is a natural diamond (This is important fella, you wouldn't believe what can be created with some of a natural diamond)

•carat weight

•colour

•clarity

•cut

It will also give other properties such as measurements, and if the gem is fluorescent under long wave ultra-violet light. If strong fluorescence is noted, this may result in a minor reduction in the value of the stone, although the property of slight fluorescence generally does not affect either the quality or the value. (Also important, it shows you are not paying to much for poor quality)

When buying certificated diamonds, the report should come from a reputable, internationally recognised laboratory such as the GIA (Gemmological Institute of America), or IGI (International Gemmological Institute). These organisations are totally independent, as they are not involved in buying, selling or valuation of gems.

A certificate from an expert grading laboratory will enable a reputable jeweller to give you a market value for your diamond without even seeing the stone, as there is an international pricing structure for certified diamonds. Not saying you are going to ever want to sell this, but valuations, insurance, etc etc, it's all important.

so Laura on that basis, the one I like above is also not certified (or at least doesn't say it is) so how would I go about getting one that is?

I do like the stones either side, whilst not emerald I think it looks better.

Â