Sir Alex

Zatman

25 years in charge of Man United this weekend is a phenomenal period to be in charge in the modern day. I know he is quite unlikeable but his longevity, success and determination to succeed is second to none.

Sadly in these modern times with some fans calling for managers heads after 10 games we wont see a reign like his again

oversaw Uniteds rise from mid table also rans with the odd cup win into the all conquering team and hopefully will oversee their return to obscurity when all the best players want to go to the other team in Mac land who will be winning everything for the foreseeable future.

Brilliant manager - on paper his side has rarely been the best in the Premiership, yet they it often comes out on top. The idea that the likes of Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson can get to the Champions League final is ludicrous, but they manage it.

Luckiest man alive.

Decent, competent manager.

Allowed a fallow period of 7ish years.

Given enormous amounts of money to spend.

Blessed with the best crop of youngsters ever to graduate from an academy in history.

Enjoyed the cache of the Man Utd brand when attracting players.

Miserable, belligerent sod to boot.

A cock of the highest order, but you cant deny his record but for me and many my age its all Villa's fault Utd are the brand they are today. We threw away that first Premier League 92/93 season. Be it that 8 mintues of injury time those rocket polishers had against Sheffield Wednesday or the fact Big Ron brought back an unfit Dalian Atkinson for the young talented scoring Dwight Yorke. If they had come runners up like they did the previous year to Leeds he would have been on his bike!

I am not exactly sure but to our younger readers at the start of that season Utd had won pretty much the same as Villa 7 League Titles, 7 FA Cups, less League Cups and 1 European Cup so if you put that into context the man is a Genius but i still hate him and their obnoxious fans with a passion.

That is why i dont have the hate for Man City some have on here because anything to stick it to those C***ts

Luckiest man alive.

Decent, competent manager.

Allowed a fallow period of 7ish years.

Given enormous amounts of money to spend.

Blessed with the best crop of youngsters ever to graduate from an academy in history.

Enjoyed the cache of the Man Utd brand when attracting players.

Miserable, belligerent sod to boot.

Not a fan then Jim? :-)

Don't particularly like him as a character, but to suggest his achievements are based on luck is a bit strong! He's one of the greatest managers of all time.

Was allowed to stay in a job for 7 and a half years without a sniff of silverwear whilst spending money other club managers could only dream of.

I'd say he was given more leeway than pretty much any other manager in history.

Was allowed to stay in a job for 7 and a half years without a sniff of silverwear whilst spending money other club managers could only dream of.

does that not show that loyalty does pay off? considering people want managers like Kean and Eck out after only 7 games

does that not show that loyalty does pay off? considering people want managers like Kean and Eck out after only 7 games

Absolutely, I think any half decent manager given more time and financial backing than anybody else in the league could make a club very successful. Fergie was given significantly more money to spend over a sustained period (whilst winning nothing) than Kean or McLeish will ever see.

I'd say the longevity of Man Utd's success was much more to do with the board at the time than the manager......

Like I say, Alex Ferguson, luckiest man alive.

A cock of the highest order

Couldn't disagree more. One of the nicest people I've ever met (although that was not in a football setting). I think he just knows how the play the game, as it were. He defends his own and winds up his opposition. Seems to work a treat, if you ask me.

A cock of the highest order

Couldn't disagree more. One of the nicest people I've ever met (although that was not in a football setting). I think he just knows how the play the game, as it were. He defends his own and winds up his opposition. Seems to work a treat, if you ask me.

I was his post game tea boy for a brief period. He was nothing but polite.

Used to serve the squad pre-match and after the match he went to his little managers room and I took him pots of tea in.

I distinctly remember him once saying to me 'get me some balsamic vinegar lad'.

Â