Final Fantasy

hogso

It's a good game, but it's an odd one. The story is dragged out to all heck, there's some not so great ret conning, but...and it's a big but...the pay offs in the big cut scenes, and the ending in particular, are so so good. 

The gameplay is kinda weird too, I hope they change it for the Reunion version. I'd say it's worth playing, and it's certainly true I believe that SE want people to know the canon established for Zack in that game, as it's going to be really really important for Rebirth and Part 3.

I won't say anything about Genesis, but suffice it to say his role in the story of FFVII is really important to Zack, and Sephiroth in particular.

Crisis Core Reunion stuff

So, not a remaster, not quite a remake, but they seem to be putting a lot of work in. There's a load more stuff on the official twitter. 

• Like 1

Had covid since Tuesday. Basically bed bound. When I can be bothered, I pick up my PS5 controller, whack it on, and re-attempt lighting dodge in FFX. 

Not sure how many times I've done that since Tuesday. Maybe 10? Still no dice. **** will go down. And no, I won't be hooking it up to PC for an auto macro. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, still no closer to the lighting dodge needed for X Plat. 

So I've casually knocked out the VIII Plat in the meantime :D decent trophy list for a retuning player, nothing too taxing (no 'get every card' trophy for example), but there are a couple of oddities in there like the Pupu / UFO and Obel Lake side quests specifically. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Still no closer to that FFX Plat...so decided to take a break and do something simpler, like the IX Plat. 

Spoiler

I'm not kidding, I'm really going to try and Plat the word removed :D

• 3 weeks later...

All trophies for IX done, except the two skipping rope ones (100 and 1000 consecutive skips) and the 10000 kills trophy. Cos I'm gonna have to take a rain check on those...bit like lightning dodge in X.

I'd never done an Excalibur II run before - where you have to defeat Lich, the last boss before the point of no return in Memoria, the final dungeon, in under 12 hours, to enable the item to be available to pick up. 

I'd also never defeated Osma or Quale before, so that was fun too. Plus, I did a view every ATE play through as well, which I'd never done before either, as the requirements for some are kind of stupid (there's one on the return to Lindblum where you have to have less than 100g to see it).

I also made it my aim to defeat every available player at cards. Again, I'd never done a playthrough where I take the card game 'seriously', unlike VIII. It's a fun little challenge, well OK maybe not fun exactly, given the RNG of the game! 

Like the VIII trophy list, there's also a couple of requirements for side quests which are a bit obscure. One is completing Ragtime Mouse - the quiz master who you can encounter in forests on the overworld. The other is the 'beach bum' quest, where after getting to Chocobo's Paradise, the Fat Chocobo tells you to visit every beach in the world. In doing so, you unlock the ability to regain HP/MP at any beach on the overworld. Which is nice.

Unlike the VIII trophy list, it's a challenging, but definitely engaging, one. You could, theoretically, play and complete the whole game, and only unlock one trophy.

Maybe I'm a little closer to that write up of IX lore now.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Probably should have posted this when the new trailer for FFXVI came out - it's gone down really well with fans, and rightly so I'd say.

Some FFIV vibes from it for me, exciting stuff. Definitely the right choice to go back to the series' fantasy roots for the new gen of consoles (not including FFVIIR ofc).

In other news, Final Fantasy VII The First Soldier is being shut down in January '23. It wasn't well received, and apparently hasn't been making them much money. Unlike the atrocious FFXV A New Empire, which has made at least $500m.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Possibly the best translated version of the new trailer out there at moment

Release date is 22/06/23, pre order's are up and there are various editions of course, with some items.

It's been confirmed that there won't be a permanent party throughout the game, but it will chop and change - and there will be time skips too. 

It looks a lot more like an 'Ivalice' game than many other FFs - XII and XIV included - in terms of tone, and the developers have spoken a little bit about considering whether or not it was going to carry the FF name.

Well, it is, and I'm really excited by the fact that there are some risks being taken here.

...yes I'm aware it wouldn't take much at all for me to be excited by a new FF title...

I have gotten completely absorbed by Final Fantasy XIV. Never really played any FF titles. Now, I plan on getting VII Remake Intergrade for Christmas and possibly XII The Zodiac Age as well. 

But LOTS of hours left in XIV, and I really like the story despite not even being out of the less good opening parts of it.

29 minutes ago, daft said:

I have gotten completely absorbed by Final Fantasy XIV. Never really played any FF titles. Now, I plan on getting VII Remake Intergrade for Christmas and possibly XII The Zodiac Age as well. 

But LOTS of hours left in XIV, and I really like the story despite not even being out of the less good opening parts of it.

Wow! Glad you're enjoying it. There are so so so many references / fan service-y moments for FF fans, I find it fascinating that you may have the reverse experience and link those older games to XIV as that what's you've experienced first. 

XII is a very good choice to follow XIV (or play alongside it, I guess, given the nature of MMOs). It's worth mentioning though that, if you weren't already aware, the guy who 'saved' FFXIV, Yoshi-P, is lead producer on FFXVI, and it's Director's and a lot of the lineage of the rest of the team goes back to FF Tactics, Vagrant Story and XII. What I'm getting at is, if you enjoy the tone and style of XIV, you may well enjoy XVI too when it is out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the actual 35th anniversary today, they've announced a new Theatrhythm game on PS4 and Switch

They're rhythm games using the series' soundtrack, pretty decent usually. 

Just now, Chindie said:

The pricing on the physical releases of that collection is obscene.

Thank goodness the pre orders sold out very quickly, I should have but would not have been put off by the price!

58 minutes ago, hogso said:

For the actual 35th anniversary today, they've announced a new Theatrhythm game on PS4 and Switch

They're rhythm games using the series' soundtrack, pretty decent usually. 

Jesus that's made me feel old. I was working in Gamestation when that first came out.

On 10/12/2022 at 17:12, hogso said:

Wow! Glad you're enjoying it. There are so so so many references / fan service-y moments for FF fans, I find it fascinating that you may have the reverse experience and link those older games to XIV as that what's you've experienced first. 

XII is a very good choice to follow XIV (or play alongside it, I guess, given the nature of MMOs). It's worth mentioning though that, if you weren't already aware, the guy who 'saved' FFXIV, Yoshi-P, is lead producer on FFXVI, and it's Director's and a lot of the lineage of the rest of the team goes back to FF Tactics, Vagrant Story and XII. What I'm getting at is, if you enjoy the tone and style of XIV, you may well enjoy XVI too when it is out.

I got FFVII Remake Intergrade on sale from Steam as well. Really enjoying it so far. About 12 hours or so in. Might have to borrow my sons Switch and get the pixel remasters on that later on lol

Â