Final Fantasy

hogso

A bunch a previews are now out there for Rebirth, where people have been invited to play two demos - the Nibelheim flash back sequence featuring Sephiroth, and the large 'hub' area around Junon. It's been emphasised a lot with this latter demo that the scale of the area is dealt with really well, as is traversal which is generally done via Chocobo, of which there is heavy emphasis on (customisation, treasure hunting, fast travelling options, etc). If you go out of your way to look at some of these previews, the difference between the 'open world' on display around Junon and say that in FFXV is stark. In a very good way!

I won't post in detail everything that came out from the TGS presentation, but holy christ. Rebirth is shaping up to the the best FF game ever. 

The one thing I will mention is that it has a card game. OK two things, Mog House is now a full blown location with it's own mini game. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I learnt of the origin of that little dweebs name some years ago - can't remember exactly where, could have been an FFU video? So Ket Shee sounds kind of normal to me now, and on my latest playthroughs of 7 I've made a conscious effort to read it as such. 

I can understand SE keeping Kate Sith though, there is precedent for it in AC where they call him Kate, I believe. 

Looking forward to a future tweet which confirms Cid still commits domestic violence. 

• 1 month later...

but....i cant put it down! the start is really cutscene heavy but when you do eventually get some gameplay its good (if a bit easy) the devil may cry comparisons are spot on, its like they've replaced the guns with fireballs, I'm maybe 2.5 hours in, not touched anything resembling a RPG yet, glad that they've made it more violent, just met cid and would say that it now needs some proper characters to build around, looks stunning although i do still have the sneaky suspicion that like FF7 remake its not actually open world its just a series of arenas linked together which FF7 just and only just gets away with because I'm enamored with that world

i will probably have at least 2 multi hour sessions on this weekend and will put a lot of time in to it over xmas

Glad you're enjoying it. It's very much an ACTION rpg, which for a lot of long standing FF fans was the biggest criticism as there was not enough RPG. The second biggest criticism was the difficulty - even on the NG+ mode. Apparently the DLC which just came out does a lot to address that though.

As in too easy? 

There's next to no strategy to it, I'm interested to see if they do at least a bit of FF7 and throw in some kind of mechanism where you either team up or can only do one thing at once, at the moment it kind of feels like button mashing with little consequence, I can kind of see the stagger and big damage stuff coming down the line (something that I absolutely hated in the previous FF) but you can get bangles or whatever with auto potion and auto dodge and just put cruise control on 

Yeah it's far too easy. I appreciate the accessory things from an accessibility point of view, but even without them, it's not exactly going to cause you any issues. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ender4 said:

Going to try FF Stranger of Paradise next. Apparently it’s kind of a loose remake of FF1? 

Kinda. Saying anymore than that would be spoilers. If you played Nioh, it's gameplay is similar, but more streamlined and accessible in order to appeal to typical FF fans. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Deluxe edition for Rebirth pre order sorted, 6 day weekend booked from launch day, the latest trailers are pretty incredible. In the modern parlance, the hype is real. 

You'd have to assume the demo will be on PSN pretty soon, end of Jan more than likely. That could coincide with a State of Play or the anniversary of the release of the original FF7, which is 31st January. 

Ever Crisis had a chapter update last week for the section of the story immediately after leaving Midgar, and mandates Yuffie joining the party, which may be the same way in which that happens in Rebirth (it's very very similar to OG, except you can't miss it).

I'm currently too in to Trails from Zero, but once that is done, I think it would be rude not to resume my play through of the numbered FF titles, and polish off 7 OG before Rebirth...and potentially squeeze in a quick run of Remake as well?

• 3 weeks later...

Rebirth review embargo is 22nd Feb at 2pm GMT, a full week before the release. 

Reeks of confidence in the game. I'm a little concerned about spoilers being in the wild after that, but I'll just have to try to avoid anything that looks suspect. 

The end of Feb can't come soon enough! 

I probably should also mention for anyone who cares that the trophy list is in the wild. Mild spoilers follow, as in, don't look if you want to be completely fresh going in, but OK for the merely curious, although I won't list them all just give some tidbits:

Spoiler

What I won't mention is who the super boss is, but it's an FF staple. 

There's a trophy for completing it on hard. 

A number of exploration and golden saucer related trophies. 

Including but not limited to performing in a production of Loveless. 

There's also a card tournament. 

Edited by hogso

finally managed to get some hands on time with the demo this morning, so feel I can comment on it now. 

The state of play was obscenely good, the scope of the game is incredible - and it appears as though they've managed to capture that feeling of a world being beyond the walls of Midgar which players experienced in the 90s, and (hopefully) done the same for the current gen. There could be many things I pick out from the various things shown, but typing the following sentence sums up how crazy this game is potentially going to be.

It has a mini game in which you play football as Red XIII, which basically looks Rocket League. I mean...COME ON! How did this game not take 20 years to develop, and what on earth are they preparing for Part 3? Fingers crossed for Earth Defence Force inspired Weapon battles...

As for the demo, the Nibelheim section is great if you're a fan of the original, not sure what new fans would make of it. It seems it's an old build as the performance mode has some rather crappy textures, as it happens I played on graphical mode and the drop in frames didn't really bother me - and it did look great. What I really loved was seeing Nibelheim realised as a real town, in a similar way to Sector 7 Slums and Wall Market in Remake, 

The demo will be updated within the next couple of weeks to include the Junon section, which is more of a large area to traverse and explore, quite different to the more story focused section which is available at the moment. No date for that yet. 

After a few years hiatus from the villatalk final fantasy chat, its brilliant to see the same names still getting incredibly excited about the new final fantasy releases.

Looking forward to rebirth, I hope it's as good as you're all making it sound.

Â