Final Fantasy

hogso

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

How this work? 

Got my ps+ PS4 version of it downloading now, I then get the upgrade? But I still have to pay for yuffie? 

I'll be glad when this upgrade stuff is over 

Couldn't say for certain how the PS+ version works, but when I installed my PS4 disc version, I then had to separately install the PS5 version from the store (and delete the PS4 version). 

If assumed it would just show up on either the PS+ page, or the games page itself. 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

How this work? 

Got my ps+ PS4 version of it downloading now, I then get the upgrade? But I still have to pay for yuffie? 

I'll be glad when this upgrade stuff is over 

You can choose the PS5 version in the store, I searched for it and just downloaded it last night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Butterfly Catching and Cactuar side quest done in FFX, Magus Sisters secured, and 10 of all monsters captured. 

The level grinding begins here in earnest; although I do need to polish off Blitzball for whatever sigil is required for Wakka's celestial weapon.

Still haven't plucked up the courage to give 200 lightning dodges another go though...

On 04/01/2022 at 16:50, hogso said:

Butterfly Catching and Cactuar side quest done in FFX, Magus Sisters secured, and 10 of all monsters captured. 

The level grinding begins here in earnest; although I do need to polish off Blitzball for whatever sigil is required for Wakka's celestial weapon.

Still haven't plucked up the courage to give 200 lightning dodges another go though...

Go for it - I never managed the lightning dodges on the ps2 version but I got it done on the PS4 remaster (not sure if it was made easier but there’s certainly a section of it that’s consistent so you can repeat it over and over)

still one of my favourite games 

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing FF12 again.

I might finally have clicked with it. I can't remember how far I got when I first tried to play it, but I've just finished a section called Lhusu Mine, about 10 hrs in, with some grinding, and I've liked it. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished a play through of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, as it was Resonant Arc's most recent 'book club' game, the series for which ended yesterday. For anyone interested, the first episode of 5 below;

I hadn't finished it for a good few years, and the last time I did play it I got stuck on the infamous Wiegraf / Belias fights. Didn't this time, though! Did a lot of grinding on chapter 1 for a team of Ninja's, and stuck with them pretty much all the way through - except for the Wiegraf / Belias fights where I switched to dual wielding monks to cheese it. Ended up with some Ninja's equipped with Swords for extra damage, plus the concentration skill so they couldn't miss, so as to avoid any difficulties with Knights and bosses who block and / or parry. 

Such a good game, and such a good story. Really enjoyed revisiting it, although I didn't go all out and unlock the secret dungeon, or recruit Cloud / Balthier / etc. 

I really can't recommend the State of the Arc podcast enough, I'm really going to try and keep pace with whatever games they're covering, and with an episode a week, it's generally not too taxing. They're doing Hellblade next week as a single episode (probably), and after that it's on to Vagrant Story over 4 / 5 episodes. 

I tried to boot my own copy of Vagrant Story on my PS1 and then my PS2 today, and they both really struggled, so that's out. Instead, I ended up buying it on my PS3 via PSN, and it runs and looks OK. I haven't played that since the PS1!

• Like 2

On 14/01/2022 at 15:23, Chindie said:

I started playing FF12 again.

I might finally have clicked with it. I can't remember how far I got when I first tried to play it, but I've just finished a section called Lhusu Mine, about 10 hrs in, with some grinding, and I've liked it. 

Great levelling spot (Skeleton bridge)

• 3 weeks later...

FF10 is too hard.  

Just can’t beat the final boss (Sin on giga-mode) no matter how many times I tried.

Resorted to reading a walkthrough, that didn’t help.   

Tried to get an optional Aeon that’s meant to help, but can’t get past the temple guardian to get the Aeon. 

I give up and will watch the ending on YouTube!

11 hours ago, ender4 said:

FF10 is too hard.  

Regrettably, the late game of FFX is notoriously...well, a bit rubbish, really. If you want to take on the hardest bosses in the game (optional ones!), you need to engage in potentially hundreds of hours of grinding. And as for the ultimate weapons in the game, to unlock their potential fully, you have to engage in some pretty tiring mini games. Even some of the best overdrives, which would be handy, are hidden behind mini games. The main one is Wakka's Attack Reels, which is really powerful, but that's won in Bllitzball.

I don't recall the strat for the final boss, if you have not engaged in any late game grinding, but I do know that there's a general rule that if you can get past the Yunalesca fight, you can get beat Sin, as the former is a much steeper difficulty curve. 

If you have no desire to grind, which is really all you could do to give you an edge, and gain a few more sphere levels, then watching the ending may be the way to go...although I really wouldn't encourage that, I think you should put in the time and finish 'properly', personally :D 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hogso said:

Regrettably, the late game of FFX is notoriously...well, a bit rubbish, really. If you want to take on the hardest bosses in the game (optional ones!), you need to engage in potentially hundreds of hours of grinding. And as for the ultimate weapons in the game, to unlock their potential fully, you have to engage in some pretty tiring mini games. Even some of the best overdrives, which would be handy, are hidden behind mini games. The main one is Wakka's Attack Reels, which is really powerful, but that's won in Bllitzball.

I don't recall the strat for the final boss, if you have not engaged in any late game grinding, but I do know that there's a general rule that if you can get past the Yunalesca fight, you can get beat Sin, as the former is a much steeper difficulty curve. 

If you have no desire to grind, which is really all you could do to give you an edge, and gain a few more sphere levels, then watching the ending may be the way to go...although I really wouldn't encourage that, I think you should put in the time and finish 'properly', personally :D 

I haven't done any late game grinding. From what i've now read in the walkthroughs, i would need to do another 50 hours or so of grinding to get the powerful aeons and get my stats to a place where i can beat Sin.

I'm not prepared to do that so i'll watch the ending on Youtube.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

What level are you out if interest? 

Is it as simple as a bit of grinding, bit more of the sphere thing, collect some gear* and then try again

* there is the problem that the ultimate weapons are shit to get 

I've probably only done about 25% of each persons full sphere grid. I have no optional Aeons, no celestial weapons, no special overdrives, no highly upgraded weapons or armour.  

Yes, its probably as simple as grinding for 20-30 hours and another 30 hours getting a couple of the optional Aeons.  That's too long for 1 final boss battle.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I haven't done any late game grinding. From what i've now read in the walkthroughs, i would need to do another 50 hours or so of grinding to get the powerful aeons and get my stats to a place where i can beat Sin.

I'm not prepared to do that so i'll watch the ending on Youtube.

Definitely true that you'd need something like that time wise to start to tackle to he dark aeons; definitely not true to beat sin!

I don't mind the grind. It's something I've got used to over the many years of JRPG playing. Quite relaxing really.

I spent hours maxing everyones stats in FFX using the Monster Arena. Getting luck up to 125 was looooong.

if you find an exp / ap farm you're ok, especially with the remasters of whatever they call them where you can speed the game up (is that a thing on 10?)

id give that a go first, farm the omega ruins for a couple of hours, progress the sphere grid then give it another go

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

if you find an exp / ap farm you're ok, especially with the remasters of whatever they call them where you can speed the game up (is that a thing on 10?)

On Playstation (any version), believe it or not, it isn't. Which for a game infamous for it's late game grind, is ridiculous. Especially when other FF remastered games on PS do have the option. 

The best AP farm method in the game, the Don Tonberry trick, itself involves a fair bit of time, at the very least capturing monsters for the Arena. 

Otherwise, yeah, I'd agree that Omega is the way to go; at least you're in a new area, with a goal at the end, so it doesn't really feel like grinding. 

• 2 weeks later...

We, or I, probably need to talk about Stranger of Paradise on here quite soon. 

In short, if you have a PS5, give the demo a go, just so you can see how utterly bizarre it is for yourself. 

It's one of the oddest games I've played, I think. It's really hard to know what they were going for - I guess a Soulsborne FF game is the lazy comparison, but it's really not a lot like those games. 

Some elements of them sure, but there's also shooter looter elements, and then there's the setting, and the main characters, and the soundtrack...it's so odd. 

I'll have to spend a bit more time with it in order to come to a definitive conclusion, but suffice it to say, there's stuff I really like, and stuff I don't. 

Edited by hogso

Â