Final Fantasy

hogso

Summer Games Fest off to a good start 

Decent little trailer, I guess the release will be around March 24.

Lots of familiar locations for those who know the OG story after Midgar. 

The part that isn't familiar is the most interesting part to me - that being the very start of that trailer, which all but confirms that there are at least two time lines, or alternate realities, or dimensions or whatever...one with Cloud and Co loosely following the OG plot following the events of Remake having broken free of fate, one where Zack is alive, and one where...Cloud and Co didn't even leave Midgar at the end of Remake? Huh. 

FF gonna FF. 

20 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Chocobo Ranch! Cosmo Canyon! Junon!? Hype.

There looked like a battle in the crater. Does that mean this is the whole of the remaining game? Cosmo Canyon is quite late on, too!

46 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

There looked like a battle in the crater. Does that mean this is the whole of the remaining game? Cosmo Canyon is quite late on, too!

I assumed that fight was on the boat to Costa Del Sol (When you fight Jenova) and you just warped to more of a battlefield kind of thing.

8 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I assumed that fight was on the boat to Costa Del Sol (When you fight Jenova) and you just warped to more of a battlefield kind of thing.

No, before that, with the rock dude. 1min 47ish

I will add that I played the original FF7 for hundreds of hours, and when I finally picked up the remake I was a bit disappointed, but couldn't say why. I put it down after around an hour of play. I think it was the combat. It took a lot of getting used to, having tried, but not really vibed with 12, 13 and 15 (the more open world ones). 13 in particular nearly ruined the entire series for me. 

I'm glad I persisted though, because I picked it up after about a year of dormancy, and I'm playing it again now and really enjoying it. I still think the combat is clunky, and would prefer a simpler turn based system, but then I'm old, so. I'm around 15hrs into the remake. 

Edited by HKP90
typo

45 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Mythril Mines maybe? Or Mt Coral?

Maybe, but I guess if they have got to Cosmo Canyon, there is not all that much content afterward. 

34 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Maybe, but I guess if they have got to Cosmo Canyon, there is not all that much content afterward. 

After Cosmo (first time round) there's still a fair bit! Nibelheim, Rocket Town, Temple/City of the Ancients, Snow Fields and Glacier, Crater, Huge Materia and Weapons, Back to Midgar, North Crater finale

• Like 1

I think the golem rock type boss fight was in the Mythril Mines. The appeared to be those locations from post Midgar we all recognise - Chocobo Ranch, Kalm (well, the Inn), Mythril Mines, Junon, the boat to Costa Del Sol with the Jenova fight. No Fort Condor but that's not too much of a surprise given that it was repurposed for the Yuffie DLC, and no Zolom which again isn't too much of a surprise for story reasons I won't spoil if @HKP90 is currently playing Remake!

With the same in mind I'll post where I think Rebirth will end - probably not for anyone who hasn't finished Remake!

Spoiler

I think some people are expecting Rebirth to go right up to Northern Crater or the return to Midgar, but I'm not so sure. I think it might just be City of the Ancients - the reason being that we'll play Zack's side of things at the same time, where he has just got back to Midgar. 

Now whether or not Aerith dies again is up for debate of course, but I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that somehow, some way, Zack also gets to the City of the Ancients and there's a merging of the timelines, he witnesses her murder, and then the final game is a Cloud and Zack team up. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

After Cosmo (first time round) there's still a fair bit! Nibelheim, Rocket Town, Temple/City of the Ancients, Snow Fields and Glacier, Crater, Huge Materia and Weapons, Back to Midgar, North Crater finale

Noooo. I guess I'll be finished in 2030

55 minutes ago, hogso said:

I think the golem rock type boss fight was in the Mythril Mines. The appeared to be those locations from post Midgar we all recognise - Chocobo Ranch, Kalm (well, the Inn), Mythril Mines, Junon, the boat to Costa Del Sol with the Jenova fight. No Fort Condor but that's not too much of a surprise given that it was repurposed for the Yuffie DLC, and no Zolom which again isn't too much of a surprise for story reasons I won't spoil if @HKP90 is currently playing Remake!

With the same in mind I'll post where I think Rebirth will end - probably not for anyone who hasn't finished Remake!

Reveal hidden contents

I think some people are expecting Rebirth to go right up to Northern Crater or the return to Midgar, but I'm not so sure. I think it might just be City of the Ancients - the reason being that we'll play Zack's side of things at the same time, where he has just got back to Midgar. 

Now whether or not Aerith dies again is up for debate of course, but I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that somehow, some way, Zack also gets to the City of the Ancients and there's a merging of the timelines, he witnesses her murder, and then the final game is a Cloud and Zack team up. 

The Fort Condor was always (although ambitious) a bit of a pain in the ass anyway.  

20 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

They should have left the original Fort Condor mini-game in as it was and used it as an arcade game that's dotted about the world.

That would work. Make it entirely optional. 

Do we think Emerald and Ruby will be in there?

Or the submarine stuff?

Edited by HKP90

7 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

That would work. Make it entirely optional. 

Do we think Emerald and Ruby will be in there?

Or the submarine stuff?

I imagine the Huge materia thing would still be in and the submarine bit too, but maybe a bit more linear (so no exploring with the sub). Cut scenes in the submarine, docking etc...

Emerald and Ruby have gotta be optional bosses. Probably not as huge of a scale as we expect but big fight for sure.

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

I imagine the Huge materia thing would still be in and the submarine bit too, but maybe a bit more linear (so no exploring with the sub). Cut scenes in the submarine, docking etc...

Emerald and Ruby have gotta be optional bosses. Probably not as huge of a scale as we expect but big fight for sure.

I've never beaten Emerald, even with Knights of the Round

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I've never beaten Emerald, even with Knights of the Round

Oh yeah, then there is the chocobo breeding stuff. Man the original was a massive, massive game.

The demo is out for XVI on PSN now. It covers the first couple of hours of the game - apparently, currently downloading it myself. 

I've now played it, and well, it's good, you should try it. 

Edited by hogso

Â