Final Fantasy

hogso

I can't get over how ugly the pixel remasters are. The font of the text too is just an eye sore. I'm glad I can play these games in a myriad of other ways, including portably, otherwise I'd have been suckered into buying that collection too.

• 1 month later...

In their typically well researched style, FF Union have just put out a video on the rumoured FF IX Remake

It's a curious one, as an FF VII Remake style game just wouldn't work for IX. It would have to retain its turn-based battles, I think, being so entrenched in the series' origins as the rest of the game is. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got Theatrhythm  today. Demo progress carries over, which is nice. I think as long as long as you like FF / Square Enix games and rhythm games, it's an easy recommendation. 

Of interesting note is the way they have incentivised the player to really engage with the 'multi battles' aka. online. 

As you play the single player you'll get random drops for new summons, which you can equip one at a time for when you play a stage. Each one can have up to 3 abilities which have a particular benefit, of varying levels - for example, +10%, +20% or +30% bonus to EXP gain for your characters. Very handy if you're trying to beat a specific enemy, grind levels, or whatever else. 

When you play online, you have a 'ProfiCard' which is just a fancy way of showing your achievements in the single player when you play online. Buuuuuut you can attach your best summon to your ProfiCard, and then every single player you encounter in the online gets a copy of it (doesn't matter if you win or lose), and you get a copy of theirs (as long as they have one equipped). It'll say on it who discovered that specific summon originally, and who you got it from. There are so many different classic summon types plus the variety of abilities they can have attached that there must be hundreds of thousands of variations available. 

Best one I have so far is a Knights of the Round with +30% collectible drops and +30% item drops

I find myself wanting to go out of my way to play online rather than progress through the single player stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tons of FFXVI previews out there at the moment, I won't post any particular one as if you're interested, I imagine you'll be able to get the take on it from your favourite commentators. 

Short version is it really does seem a long-awaited move for the series in terms of tone and gameplay. Due to the devs involved, it's probably not surprising that there is a DMC / Dragon's Dogma vibe to it.

Supra excite.

• 3 weeks later...

I've Plat'd Theatrhythm Final Bar Line. Great game. Here's my top 5 picks for **** great tracks from some of the spin off games. 

Hill of Destiny - Mystic Quest Legend - 1992

Spoiler

The Beginning of the End - Final Fantasy Type 0 - 2011

Spoiler

Crazy Chocobo - Final Fantasy X-2 - 2003

Spoiler

Battle on the Bridge - Final Fantasy Tactics - 1997

Spoiler

Almighty Bhunivelze - Lightning Returns: XIII-3 - 2013

Spoiler

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been going through some back catalogue games recently and polishing off some simple plats - The Bunker, Virginia, Edith Finch and House Flipper amongst them. It was really good to go back to some games I hadn't for a while.

That got me thinking back on some FF games I didn't even finish. IX and X are recent examples...but the trophies outstanding for those can get tae feck (for now).

It did get me to go back and take a look at FF XV, though. The only things I needed were max level for fishing, cooking, 'survival' (aka walking), and defeating the adamantoise which was the original super boss. 

Just a couple of hours play to do that, but man I really had a good time with it. I have a long held ambition to play through all the FF games in sequence, and the release of the remasters on PS4/5 is the best time to do that I think, but man just dipping in to XV got me hankering for a proper session with it. 

I only need a handful of trophies for XIII too, but I know one of those - collect every item - could mean an entire replay, so perhaps not one for now.

I think the impact of everything shown would depend on how closely you've been following the development, as you can imagine I've been following it very closely, so there wasn't much in terms of gameplay and story that I wasn't already aware of. The option of a 4K stream was cool though, nice to see everything in good quality. 

Probably the thing that stands out the most is that it is very much wearing it's influences on it's sleeve, there is no attempt to hide anything, and depending on what games you've played since the 90s there are upwards of a dozen different games you can say with confidence that this is taking from in spades - including but not limited to, FF XII,  XIV (and probably Type 0 in fairness), Devil May Cry, God of War, Panzer Dragoon, Witcher 3, Dragon's Dogma, Asura's Wrath, Nier Automata...the list goes on. 

There's a lot of stuff in there that appears to be simply for the 'cool' factor. It isn't going to be a unique or challenging gameplay experience, but it'll be...'cool'. That's not a new issue with FF games, it's kind of endemic to Japanese developers, and gamers will either love it or hate it.

At one time I thought this would be the equivalent of FF7 on the PS1, I hoped it would have the critical acclaim, the sales, the scope of marketing...I'm not very confident it will be that big a deal anymore, but hopefully the demo will be out in the next 3-4 weeks which will provide everyone with a good idea of how much they like what they've decided to go with. 

It certainly looks like a very accessible game, the idea of doing away with difficulty settings (kind of) and instead provided all players with different accessories to tailor their play style to the game sounds like a great idea in theory, so I'm keen to see how it'll work in practice. 

FF Pixel Remasters out tomorrow on PS4/5 and Switch, with the trophy lists available earlier today confirming that they are based off of the Steam achievement lists, with each including a platinum for completion.

cf3a04be4d4ee08cae8023c4e5707d2f57f932d1

I have begun my FF marathon! Lot's of QoL features in FF I nowadays of course, but man, that encounter rate is relentless at times - particularly at sea. It's clear why the first game is so enduring, it has such a feeling of freedom from the very start.

7 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I've only ever played 7 (OG PS1), XIV and XV so I might pick up the first of the Pixel Remasters at some point as I like a bit of Old School RPG now and again.

Just play 9, it's the best one.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

FF1 is kinda great isn't it? I can definitely see why it was considered pretty ground breaking on release.

Question for those who have played 1 and 2. Does 2 continue in pretty much the same vein? If so, I'll definitely be picking it up once 1 is finished.

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

FF1 is kinda great isn't it? I can definitely see why it was considered pretty ground breaking on release.

Question for those who have played 1 and 2. Does 2 continue in pretty much the same vein? If so, I'll definitely be picking it up once 1 is finished.

Big fat no to this question. 

They kinda went off the deep end with their choices in II for the battle system. Progression of stats is based off usage, so the more you use physical attacks, the better progress for your attack stat - that sort of thing. 

They did develop more of a story tho, although it's firmly the worst FF for most fans. 

III is a much more interesting game. It's also double hard with knobs on, or at least the original and 3D remake versions were. Could be made much easier now with the boosts. 

• Thanks 1

Â