Final Fantasy

hogso

agree it was the time they couldn't do wrong, maybe the last really good one before 11 went online and the series was no longer top drawer, 12 was OK from what little memory I have of it but having hardly any memory of it probably says a lot, I hated 13 which unfortunately also then seemed to hang around for way too long too with the spin offs, 7, 8 and 9 are stone cold classics for me, in the conversation for best game ever 

X2 I put about 5 hours in and it wasn't for me 

X the characters are good, setting and story and alright but it gets stretched too far come the end, the sphere system is good, the overdrive system was just OK, 10 isn't in the same conversation as the previous 3 but that doesn't make it a bad game 

Ive played it 3 times, last on the PS4, its probably a good jumping in point as well due to it being the shittest one to master out of the run of 4 big games, some of the celestrial weapons stuff is straight up bullshit, the PS1 3 are all better for sinking hours in to away from the main story 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Its kind of the black sheep of the series in terms of its gameplay as it borrows heavily from MMORPG mechanics. Haven't played much of it but it's very well regarded. Not sure it's a good intro though. I think most people would recommend X or VII as starting points.

Just realized I completely misread that as you getting FFXII :lol:

Cheers chaps. I’m going to give it a bash. Was hoping to get hold of 7, but didn’t realise the Remake was PlayStation only, so that’s disappointing. Will keep an eye out for any others Game Pass has. 

• 4 weeks later...

RIGHT THEN.

You're going to have to allow me to indulge myself here. 

Some time ago, Irish singer/songwriter AVA told an Irish radio show that she was 'writing music for the remake of a Playstation game'.

Her group Anuna worked on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 with Yasunori Mitsuda, which did feature a song at the end on which she sang (kind of a staple of Xeno games).

Xenogears, the PS1 game, featured a song during the final cutscene and credits called 'Small Two of Pieces' (not a typo) which featured Irish vocalist Joanne Hogg. 

Does this mean that Xenogears is being remade?! Well..probably not, no. Despite literally being unfinished - the game is most infamous for it's second disc being 70% visual novel because the dev team ran out of time (one of the many comparisons one can draw between it and Neon Genesis Evangelion, although smartly the ending of Xenogears was finished, it's just the late game story stuff which was unfinished, the characters literally narrate whole dungeons) - and therefore probably being more worthy of a remake than most other titles of the era, it's really, really really really, unlikely. 

What AVA was probably talking about is Metal Gear Solid, which also features an Irish folk song at the end. Which will be kinda cool, and probably overdue.

That doesn't really have anything to do with FF, although Xenogears definitely does (it was a potential script for FF7, and although considered too dark, FF7 did actually pick up some of the ideas from it and use them), so where am I going with this?

Well...Mitsuda also worked on the soundtrack for Chrono Cross, as did Hiromichi Tanaka and Masato Kato, all three of whom also worked on Xenogears, as well as various FF games, and a Chorno Cross remaster is being heavily rumoured to be announced very, very soon.

CC is a really odd game. Xenogears was a bloated, over ambitious project, which told a story about 'killing god', whilst taking many inspirations from European philosophers and Sci Fi, while CC was a story about killing fate, which suffered almost the opposite problems to Xenogears, in that they tried to pile too much plot in to a miniscule, by comparison, amount of time. The story mostly makes no sense until about 80% of the way through when there is an ungodly amount of lore dropped. 

What's that? Still no direct FF link you say? Well try this. The Chrono Cross Remaster was originally part of the Nvidia leak, and in the past couple of weeks, there have been actual events lined up which seem to confirm it's real, without the game actually being announced yet. Masato Kato is now working on a project called Another Eden, which is apparently a pretty good free to play RPG. This weekend, they're due to announce a cross over event with the CC Remaster. So, it's basically confirmed. 

What else was in that Nvidia leak? Well, quite a few things, but the point I'm trying to make is that pieces are starting to fall in to place that one of the things on that list, which people wrote off entirely as being impossible - because why on earth would SE go back to CC instead of a game like Xenogears, for example? Even if they wanted to try a different IP to DQ or FF, why a Chrono game instead of a Xeno game, which at least is kind of still a going concern, albeit for a different company - is now coming to pass.

And what else was on that list? The Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster I've mentioned above. But also, the Final Fantasy IX Remake. Note, remake, not remaster. This raises a few concerns. If the whole of that list really is real, why oh why, when we know so little about the next part of the FF7 Remake, would SE consider remaking FF IX at the same time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/12/2021 at 18:06, hogso said:

RIGHT THEN.

You're going to have to allow me to indulge myself here. 

Some time ago, Irish singer/songwriter AVA told an Irish radio show that she was 'writing music for the remake of a Playstation game'.

Her group Anuna worked on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 with Yasunori Mitsuda, which did feature a song at the end on which she sang (kind of a staple of Xeno games).

Xenogears, the PS1 game, featured a song during the final cutscene and credits called 'Small Two of Pieces' (not a typo) which featured Irish vocalist Joanne Hogg. 

Does this mean that Xenogears is being remade?! Well..probably not, no. Despite literally being unfinished - the game is most infamous for it's second disc being 70% visual novel because the dev team ran out of time (one of the many comparisons one can draw between it and Neon Genesis Evangelion, although smartly the ending of Xenogears was finished, it's just the late game story stuff which was unfinished, the characters literally narrate whole dungeons) - and therefore probably being more worthy of a remake than most other titles of the era, it's really, really really really, unlikely. 

What AVA was probably talking about is Metal Gear Solid, which also features an Irish folk song at the end. Which will be kinda cool, and probably overdue.

That doesn't really have anything to do with FF, although Xenogears definitely does (it was a potential script for FF7, and although considered too dark, FF7 did actually pick up some of the ideas from it and use them), so where am I going with this?

Well...Mitsuda also worked on the soundtrack for Chrono Cross, as did Hiromichi Tanaka and Masato Kato, all three of whom also worked on Xenogears, as well as various FF games, and a Chorno Cross remaster is being heavily rumoured to be announced very, very soon.

CC is a really odd game. Xenogears was a bloated, over ambitious project, which told a story about 'killing god', whilst taking many inspirations from European philosophers and Sci Fi, while CC was a story about killing fate, which suffered almost the opposite problems to Xenogears, in that they tried to pile too much plot in to a miniscule, by comparison, amount of time. The story mostly makes no sense until about 80% of the way through when there is an ungodly amount of lore dropped. 

What's that? Still no direct FF link you say? Well try this. The Chrono Cross Remaster was originally part of the Nvidia leak, and in the past couple of weeks, there have been actual events lined up which seem to confirm it's real, without the game actually being announced yet. Masato Kato is now working on a project called Another Eden, which is apparently a pretty good free to play RPG. This weekend, they're due to announce a cross over event with the CC Remaster. So, it's basically confirmed. 

What else was in that Nvidia leak? Well, quite a few things, but the point I'm trying to make is that pieces are starting to fall in to place that one of the things on that list, which people wrote off entirely as being impossible - because why on earth would SE go back to CC instead of a game like Xenogears, for example? Even if they wanted to try a different IP to DQ or FF, why a Chrono game instead of a Xeno game, which at least is kind of still a going concern, albeit for a different company - is now coming to pass.

And what else was on that list? The Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster I've mentioned above. But also, the Final Fantasy IX Remake. Note, remake, not remaster. This raises a few concerns. If the whole of that list really is real, why oh why, when we know so little about the next part of the FF7 Remake, would SE consider remaking FF IX at the same time. 

Did. Not. Read.

ok ok, I did skim read it.  Until the end, when I stopped to correct you by saying FF IX is a remaster not a remake.   

Then I read some more and you explained it wasn’t an error and you meant remake.

Then you made me go…. Ohhhhhh!

• Haha 1

There's an FFIX anime being developed by a French production studio too, allegedly.

The Video Game Awards on 9th December are going to have a bunch of announcements, so we may hear about IX, CC, and Metal Gear Solid then. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'd buy it, I'd love it but at he same time they really need to do the next part of 7, I'll be finishing that game on the ps6 at this rate 

Im Beginning to think I won’t be gaming by the time the end rocks up 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

We can enjoy the numerous spin offs and side bits in that time though 🙄

Did anyone play yuffie? 

I did.

It was good, the retcon story reason Yuffie was in Midgar made sense, as does why she was hanging about outside after, as well as the fact that Yuffie plays just differently enough in battle to make it interesting compared to the way the other playable chars did in the main game. 

There may be a little more enjoyment gleaned if you played Dirge of Cerberus. 

Plus the Fort Condor mini game was decent, at the very least it was far, far superior to the OG version. 

The extra scenes at the end of the main game may intrigue or infuriate you to varying degrees, depending on what you thought about the ending. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Started FF10.    Its a good game so far, interesting story set-up and seemingly complex upgrade mechanism.

I think i've already messed up the Sphere grid for a couple of characters as i just went off in a random direction and didn't pick up all abilities as a passed them.

Coincidentally, I've been watching a mod playthrough of FFX recently (the P-Bird mod if any one is familiar), and it really got me hankering to play it again. 

I played it on PS3/4 when the HD remaster came out, and as I had transferred all my saves to the PS5, I popped in the disc the other day, and there was my pre-final dungeon save from mid 2015. 

I never did do all the post-game stuff, for basically the reason @villa4europe mentions, it isn't really very good, and is very grindy - which wouldn't be too bad if there was a 2 or 4x speed option, but it doesn't exist on Playstation. 

But...that is what I want to try and do. All those annoying mini games, the tens of hours required to complete the Monster arena and the sphere grid for everyone, and then I want to try and take down the super bosses too. 

I may well give up long before I manage it, but along with FFXII (a topic for another post, perhaps), it's probably my biggest FF related gaming regret. Which is a real thing you have if you're a fan boy like me :) 

Anyway @ender4, you may well regret missing some of those abilities, if you mean actual ability notes - certain magic or skills. If you mean you've just missed a few strength / magic / agility nodes, though, that's not too bad. Unfortunately it's quite expensive levels wise in the early game to go back and pick up the things you've missed.

I just did the 0 second catcher chocobo for the first time ever! Didn't even take that long. 

I had been trying the 200 lightning dodges, but gave up after an hour or so. So annoying. I get complacent I suppose after about 100, and the concentration just goes... 

16 hours ago, hogso said:

I just did the 0 second catcher chocobo for the first time ever! Didn't even take that long. 

I had been trying the 200 lightning dodges, but gave up after an hour or so. So annoying. I get complacent I suppose after about 100, and the concentration just goes... 

Yeah the catcher chocobo only took me about half an hour to do, first time I've ever done it. I never did the 200 dodges though. I assume it's something to do with a slight delay due to the HDMI or something.

On 21/12/2021 at 10:27, hogso said:

FF7R PS5 patch is available to PS+ subs from tomorrow, for free. Worth a look for those who did not buy Intergrade, as it looks great.

How this work? 

Got my ps+ PS4 version of it downloading now, I then get the upgrade? But I still have to pay for yuffie? 

I'll be glad when this upgrade stuff is over 

Â