Final Fantasy

hogso

XIII is such a weird one. I have far fonder memories of 2 and 3, although similarly, they also had issues. The characters in XIII are terrible, the plot isn't good, and the game takes a long time to get going and really open up - and even when it does, it's just fine, rather than actually being amazing or anything.

A Xenogears remaster / remake trumps everything for me - other than actually finished FF7 Remake obviously! Final Fantasy Tactics too....Radiata Stories! Parasite Eve! The list could go on...

• 2 months later...

Not FF, but this is as good a place as any to talk about a JRPG 'reboot' which is currently on Kickstarter - some of the creators behind the Suikoden series are developing a spiritual successor called Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes. It's already well in to it's stretch goals. It looks too good to be true, and if my experience with past Kickstarter games has taught me anything, it probably is...but still, a new Suikoden-esque game of any sort is better than none.

• 4 weeks later...

Started 7 again on game pass

I find 7 really hard not to blast my way through the start, that itch to get out in to the world, its worse than the others, always have it

Does give me a massive appreciation for just how good a job they did with the remake, I didn't fully notice just how much some of the level design actually stayed the same 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Started 7 again on game pass

I find 7 really hard not to blast my way through the start, that itch to get out in to the world, its worse than the others, always have it

Does give me a massive appreciation for just how good a job they did with the remake, I didn't fully notice just how much some of the level design actually stayed the same 

Surprising isn't it - the first Reactor, parts of Sector 7 Slums including Tifa's bar, the sector 7 train station, bits of Shinra HQ, Wall Market...all have generous portions pretty much generated straight in to full 3d. 

I've started a new FFT game on android recently. Such a fun game, god knows how I finished it as a kid, the difficulty curve is so steep at times. 

Can't say I'm much of a fan of the art design, it's very similar to XI and XII which was a large part of why I didn't really enjoy the latter. Combat appears to be lifted straight out of XV too. Not massively excited by this at the moment. 

I might come round to it, but at the moment, a return to 'high fantasy' with an apparently grim dark setting isn't something I was hoping for. I've seen comments that it looks great, as it's a return to an Ivalice style world ala Final Fantasy Tactics / XII / Vagrant Story, and in each of those games it was a fantastic world that was built...but it doesn't exactly scream next gen to me. Maybe it's just because I'm picturing lots of grey and brown, and a really flat palette for the whole game, which might not be the case at all, this is only the first trailer for a game which is some way off yet of course.

What I did like was the inclusion of summons as a proper part of the lore and story, love FF games when they go down that route. It always struck me a little odd that in a fair few of the games the ability to summon these unreal monsters exists, and no one really reacts when it happens :lol: 

1 minute ago, hogso said:

I might come round to it, but at the moment, a return to 'high fantasy' with an apparently grim dark setting isn't something I was hoping for. I've seen comments that it looks great, as it's a return to an Ivalice style world ala Final Fantasy Tactics / XII / Vagrant Story, and in each of those games it was a fantastic world that was built...but it doesn't exactly scream next gen to me. Maybe it's just because I'm picturing lots of grey and brown, and a really flat palette for the whole game, which might not be the case at all, this is only the first trailer for a game which is some way off yet of course.

What I did like was the inclusion of summons as a proper part of the lore and story, love FF games when they go down that route. It always struck me a little odd that in a fair few of the games the ability to summon these unreal monsters exists, and no one really reacts when it happens :lol: 

It's why I liked FFXV when they did the Gladius DLC with Titan. Real sense of 'WOW, these summons really are awesome'

to be fair it sounds like loading times and stuff like that is the real leap for next gen which will be hard to get across in the trailer, personally the biggest "wow" from me so far was last night during miles morales as he walked from his house in the snow through the festival whatever it was with all the lighting effects and different characters having their own conversations, it really felt alive, I might have missed this due to not playing much of the last couple but they need to introduce day and night cycles, weather etc and then factor all of that in to the towns and cities, if they are able to make fully living towns then that'll be the next gen thing for me

would also say that for me FF lives and dies by its RPG elements, its levelling and inventory systems etc which again you cant show on the trailer

the game itself reminded me a bit of the witcher, think it was the swampy looking sections, that's not a bad thing, not all of it hit but theres enough there to make me interested

and it being an exclusive is huge

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 18:07, ender4 said:

Never played a Final Fantasy game before...

Just started FF XV -  it’s really good - feels a bit like Witcher 3 or Skyrim but with a car thrown in 😀😀

Do you find the game world a bit 'dead' compared to those other games? 

Better combat than either of those games though, I would posit. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 19:09, hogso said:

Do you find the game world a bit 'dead' compared to those other games? 

Better combat than either of those games though, I would posit. 

yes true, less random people going about their own business compared to Witcher3 or RDR or Skyrim. 

But very enjoyable - just finished it today after around 50 hours gameplay.  

The story was a little messy and confusing in places, but overall a strong 8/10.

started dics 3 of FF7 last night

got some tidying up to do, didn't get the achievement for the date being with barrett but that seemed to be a play whilst reading a guide job which I couldn't be bothered with, now the grind for the gold chocobo...we will see, also think the 99,999,999 gil will be crazy hard

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the 99,999,999 gil will be crazy hard

It is the grindiest achievement, was the last one I dinged before the plat. Had to battle magic pots over and over and over again... 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Master and sell All materia? 

I think that's how I did it, mastering them via Magic Pot battles. Still a grind though! 

+1 for the selling master all strat; though I was too busy focussing on trying to one-shot-overflow-glitch Emerald Weapon - so the endless AP grind for all materia was somewhat of a light distraction compared to the endless KoTR masters I was after...

I've loaded up FF12:ZA again for a fresh play through. Even though jobs don't really matter to get through the game I've still found myself obsessing over my builds >_< Think I've finally decided. Just got the Bhujerba so gonna grind some skeletons on the bridge.

Â