Xbox One

hogso

I'd rate it pretty highly but theres no doubt it will get better over time, good games, software updates etc if you dont desperately want it for a certain game or unless you have the money to blow then you could probably wait. Since i only have fifa i probably should have but i just wanted to get it while i could.

Right now i'd probably give it a 7 or 8, it is a great bit of kit that should only get better.

It it just all needs work really. It takes much longer to invite a friend to a party than it does on the 360. You have to start by snapping your party, then going to invite friends, then waiting for a new screen to load, then clicking on your friends name and clicking on invite. They need to massively improve it. It's all not as slick and nice as they have you believe. Loading Skype takes about 3 minutes. The only thing which is fast is switching between Games and TV. Other than that... the 360 dash was more responsive. Little things are better such as being able to exit a game and check settings without having to restart the game, but that should be the norm in 2013. 

Would also be nice if the games I own would get fixed too. FIFA and BF are both just a mess. FIFA comes up with the error "we have detected that your squad file is different to your opponent" 90% of the time online. I was trying to get into a Conquest game on BF for about 30 minutes yesterday. Just kept crashing, so gave up.

Out of 10, what would you rate the new system. I am tempted to purchase one, but if you think it needs some work, I can wait till these issues are addressed. 

Honestly. I'd give it a 6/10 at the minute.

Every time I say "Xbox On"... I then have to do a full reboot to open the NAT. Without an open NAT party chat just doesn' work. For whatever reason, whenever the Xbox comes back from being in standby mode, it closes the NAT. 

The UI is great, to an extent. But when it takes longer to do simple things on this brand new "next-gen" system than it does on the older system you're kinda left thinking .... WTF? 

The Kinect features are fantastic... 80% of the time. But when you say something and it doesn't happen, and you say it again and it doesn't happen, then you say it again and it doesn't happen you suddenly think that clicking a few buttons really isn't so bad. If there's any kind of background noise in my living room (streaming football on a laptop or something) Kinect just doesn't want to go.

They've advertised Skype as some fully integrated piece of software but it's buggy as hell. It takes aaaaaaaaaages to load. Also, when you're in a conversation on Skype, everything you say to your mate on Skype goes through to game chat too. So me and my bro playing Coop FIFA, had to talk through Skype cos Party chat wouldn't work, but there was an echo in our voices becasue audio was coming through game chat too. However, when we ended the Skype call and went to game chat, my voice weren't getting through to my brother.

T

he games - Well, one of the reasons i'm a bit underwhelmed is that the games I want to play barely work. How can I spend £500 on something that just doesn't do what it's primarily supposed to do. FIFA and BF should never have been released. No where near ready. I spend more time trying to find games than playing them. Which is becoming infuriating. 

• Like 1

Not touched a PS4 yet but someone told me the interfaced looked similar to the PS3. That'd be a disaster if so, looked like something a 10 year old put together.

Love the XBO so far. Kinnect was something that didn't interest me at all, but it's becoming 2nd nature at the moment and certainly saves me time. I was a bit worried when I saw the controls as I don't like the look of them, but they handle well and the analogue sticks are superb. I loved them on the 360 but these seem even better, ideal for FPS.

With all the criticism we decided just to get the one (I live at home with my brother) and we were just gonna share it. But have decided to get a 2nd already.

Edited by kurtsimonw

It doesn't have to be, i never said anything about exciting i just dont like it, years ago i loved my psp but disliked the interface which by the way doesn't seem to have changed much to this day and ingram i find the xbox functional actually its a breeze going through the menus and getting to what i want. Suppose you'll never please everyone with either approach.

Hard to fault that really. It has issues. If I had a time machine i'd go back and not cancel my PS4 pre-order. However, I think in a year or so it will all function brilliantly. It's just half there at the minute.  All the little bugs and annoyances with the OS are starting to build up and get on my nerves so much. They're little things really, but add them all together then it gets frustrating.

One thing I don't understand is this love-in for Titanfall. I think it looks incredibly boring. Just COD with machines. 

Edited by PieFacE

Apparently M$ are completely re-writing the Party Chat functionality and will release it around Spring time. Which is good news if true. I think they should bring the Guide feature back, it was slick and fast to invite friends into a party. Much easier than the current way. It's good that they are addressing these problems, but they are problems that really shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Edited by PieFacE

To be fair - it was rushed out and on launch there will always be issues/bugs etc but it will improve without doubt (as did the 360). If the maker and developer can unlock the potential of box this and the PS 4 we will all be happy. 

They were talking about that on the Bombcast last week. I think it's pretty funny, though this video seems like a poor example of that.  There is no way the guy didn't know what was about to happen when he swore. 

*edit*

In fact if you look on Youtube it's pretty clear this was in 2K13 on the 360 if you had Kinect.   It's clearly there as a joke from the developers. :lol:

Edited by The_Rev

Apparently M$ are completely re-writing the Party Chat functionality and will release it around Spring time. Which is good news if true. I think they should bring the Guide feature back, it was slick and fast to invite friends into a party. Much easier than the current way. It's good that they are addressing these problems, but they are problems that really shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Link?

Deffo agree about the guide, maybe a tap of the home button for the guide and a hold of it to go home.

Edited by samjp26

Â