The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want AM out as much as most.

However, i can't believe anyone with a ounce of football knowledge could suggest going down is ok as long as it means him losing his job.

Indeed, nothing good comes from relegation. Nothing.

Ive heard the pies are better in The Championship

Yes but he inherited a very poor squad. He really hasn't been allowed to turn that around with the type of finance that O'Neill was given and thats what it would take to replace the absolute dross at the club. He has also had to contend with a serious of injuries to key players and then to rely on our youth, who with the exception of Gardner, who i rate very highly, are simply not good enough. So he has been a victim of circumstances at our club.

However if he had been given a decent budget to bring in more players in January and we were still in our current position then i would be more inclined to agree with you.

Good God I wish I'd written this it sums up the situation and my feelings exactly - some common sense at last.

Ridiculous and doesnt actually address the main facts.

He had 20 million to spend in the summer, he didnt pick up points that were there for the taking when he had the opporunity prior to injuries. He managed to turn our most effective goalscorer into a mere passenger. Yesterday highlighted the hug gaps in midfield where we retreated enmasse.

Joke manager who has failed to utilise the quality he had available and is now blaming injuries for his own failings.

We should not be where we currently are in the league full stop, then the injuries would not be such an issue.

However, when he became our manager he immediately lost the services of Young and Downing who were the supply to his main striker. So before he had got his knees under the manager's table he had inherited a squad which had lost 36m worth of talent and wasn't going to be given the money to replace them. Of course our performances were going to suffer without that talent.

Of course losing those two players was going to hurt us, most sensible villa fans would accept that but our performances and results have been worse than what people expected. You can't say that losing young and downing automatically meant relegation battle.

He is not a victim of circumstance. He makes bad decisions, he is a bad coach, he has negative tactics and is unable to get the majority of his players playng to the best of their ability. Claiming he is a victim of circumstance is a poor excuse to defend a poor manager.

And to claim he is a victim of circumstance while mentioning jenas being injured is truly laughable.

how many games did young and downing play under the mong manager? none?

so he lost no one that he planned to use then.

so that is that discussed...next....

However, when he became our manager he immediately lost the services of Young and Downing who were the supply to his main striker. So before he had got his knees under the manager's table he had inherited a squad which had lost 36m worth of talent and wasn't going to be given the money to replace them. Of course our performances were going to suffer without that talent.

Of course losing those two players was going to hurt us, most sensible villa fans would accept that but our performances and results have been worse than what people expected. You can't say that losing young and downing automatically meant relegation battle.

He is not a victim of circumstance. He makes bad decisions, he is a bad coach, he has negative tactics and is unable to get the majority of his players playng to the best of their ability. Claiming he is a victim of circumstance is a poor excuse to defend a poor manager.

And to claim he is a victim of circumstance while mentioning jenas being injured is truly laughable.

Yes but he inherited a very poor squad. He really hasn't been allowed to turn that around with the type of finance that O'Neill was given and thats what it would take to replace the absolute dross at the club. He has also had to contend with a serious of injuries to key players and then to rely on our youth, who with the exception of Gardner, who i rate very highly, are simply not good enough. So he has been a victim of circumstances at our club.

However if he had been given a decent budget to bring in more players in January and we were still in our current position then i would be more inclined to agree with you.

Good God I wish I'd written this it sums up the situation and my feelings exactly - some common sense at last.

Ridiculous and doesnt actually address the main facts.

He had 20 million to spend in the summer, he didnt pick up points that were there for the taking when he had the opporunity prior to injuries. He managed to turn our most effective goalscorer into a mere passenger. Yesterday highlighted the hug gaps in midfield where we retreated enmasse.

Joke manager who has failed to utilise the quality he had available and is now blaming injuries for his own failings.

We should not be where we currently are in the league full stop, then the injuries would not be such an issue.

Just a few comments on this^^.

'Managed to turn our most effective goalscorer into a mere passenger.' I believe the sale of Young and Downing did that which cut off Bent's supply.

'Huge gaps in midfield where we retreated enmasse.' Did you see what players were available to him yesterday. Did you expect us then to leave ourselves wide open against Gerrard and Suarez?

Have you actually seen our injury list. What manager in the same situation wouldn't? Even Ferguson cries foul when they have injuries.

Our position in the table is not due to AM. We also were in the bottom half of the table last year as well with a much better squad until the last few games. Those better players are now gone and we are still struggling because our squad is simply not good enough.

No i haven't said that losing both those players would mean an automatic relegation battle. I don't have a crystal ball but what i have said is that he lost our two best creative players right at the start of his tenure with us and wasn't going to be given the money to replace them, something which he had no control over. So quite clearly he was a victim of circumstance.

Not true.

He spent as much on nzogbia as we did on ashley young and he decided to spend money on a rb and made the decision that albrighton was good enough instead of trying to sign another winger.

'Managed to turn our most effective goalscorer into a mere passenger.' I believe the sale of Young and Downing did that which cut off Bent's supply.

So who were the top class players charlton and sunderland had when he was scoring goals for fun? At one point joe hart averaged more touches of the ball than darren bent. You're suggesting thats acceptable because young and downing left? As i said he signed one winger and chose to stick with the other. If they're terrible then thats not victim of circumstance.

I blame him for the injuries. You cannot play his highly defensive tactics all season, without sustaining injury. The team is so much under pressure for 90% of the game that its inevitable your gonna lose out to a skillful or even clumsy challenge exactly how Bent got injured, trying to track back, which isn't really his game.

Oh for god's sake - do you also blame him for the credit crunch?

Tell you what I will blame him for! Heskey, love or hate him, was doing a great job defensively for the team. It made no sense whatsoever to swap him for Andy Weimann today. Also, why bring Carruthers on for his debut in that situation? Just made no sense to me.

This is no defence of McLeish but yesterday Heskey was so immobile he wasn't contributing. I also think McLeish had one eye on the Stoke game given that Heskey is likely to play a role in that game too.

I do think it would've been better to switch Gabby to the flank and play Weimann up front rather than vice versa but Mcleish has demonstrated his tactical naivety all season so he isn't going to out think any manager any time soon.

No i haven't said that losing both those players would mean an automatic relegation battle. I don't have a crystal ball but what i have said is that he lost our two best creative players right at the start of his tenure with us and wasn't going to be given the money to replace them, something which he had no control over. So quite clearly he was a victim of circumstance.

Not true.

He spent as much on nzogbia as we did on ashley young and he decided to spend money on a rb and made the decision that albrighton was good enough instead of trying to sign another winger.

He had to spend money on a RB as young left.

Was it really his decision to decide that Albrighton was good enough? How do you know that. He had to spent money on a new keeper as Freidal left on a free to Spurs so maybe he hadn't the budget to sign another winger?

As far as N'Zogbia goes i think he will turn out to be a good signing when we get a defensive mid and our back four is improved upon. N'Zogbia doesn't like to track back as much as Young did but he will be better next season when we are more solid through the middle.

In hindsight we didn't need Hutton as Lichaj looks quality

And cuellar had proved he could play there.

I'm not saying it was ideal but he spent £10 million on nzogbia and bought hutton.

Thats not a victim of circumstance. Thats signing a player and failing to get the best out of him and deciding a young player is good enough and failing to get the best out of him.

Morpheus, wake up. Negative tactics waste players like Bent Nzog, not losing young or downing. I dread to think who McLeish will bring in If he is given money in the summer. He spent plenty with his time at blues but still managed to get them relegated twice????

I'd say with the players we have, we are slightly underachieving

We should be about 12th not 15th

8th-10th for me. 11th maybe.

We're massively underachieving, just like last season. However, last season we managed to finish in a respectable position. Will it be the same this season? Probably not. McLeish is just too negative. We'll never finish higher than 12th with him.

Actually no he didn't.

As was said at the time by a number of people including myself RB was the one area of the squad we didn't need to buy someone for even with the departure of Young.

McLeish decided to buy one though and use his limited resources to do so.

Actually no he didn't.

As was said at the time by a number of people including myself RB was the one area of the squad we didn't need to buy someone for even with the departure of Young.

McLeish decided to buy one though and use his limited resources to do so.

Whether or not he needed to buy a RB is debatable, but the fact that Alan Hutton is a shockingly bad footballer is not.

If he doesn't deserve to be criticised for signing a RB, he certainly deserves to be criticised for signing such an awful one.

Â