The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple fact is Holloway is a better manager than McLeish and that is saying something.

In order to have any chance whatsoever of convincing me of this nonsence, do you have any evidence that supports this?

Don't know how you could question this, let alone call it nonsense.

Holloway's Blackpool performed really well to get promoted and in the Premier League given their budgets/wage bill etc.. They were also one of the most entertaining teams in the league. Compare this to McLeish's performances with a much wealthier set up and Holloway compares very favourably.

Nonsense mate.

The bottom line is that Blackpool were relegated...the very same feat that mcleish gets lambasted for at every opportunity. The only difference between them is that mcleish won silverware with Brum, Holloway has never won fook all. So how on earth you come to the conclusion that Holloway is somehow better is beyond me.

The simple fact is Holloway is a better manager than McLeish and that is saying something.

In order to have any chance whatsoever of convincing me of this nonsence, do you have any evidence that supports this?

Style of play? Less relegations?

Slightly tongue in cheek as I'm sure your 'Shite manager, total arsehole' comment was?

Unless you know Ian Holloway personally......

We shouldn't go for Van Gaal. I had him as an assistant on Football Manager 2012 and he was gash

WTF ? Urrrrm this is real life ? Not football manager !! Good god

hook-line-sinker.gif

After checking this thread after posting a while back, I'm amazed I managed a bite on this. I am honored to be in your sig though Cule!

:lol:

Style of play? Less relegations?

Slightly tongue in cheek as I'm sure your 'Shite manager, total arsehole' comment was?

Unless you know Ian Holloway personally......

I have Holloway having 3 relegations. McLeish has 2.

Edit McLeish has 3 too.

Ahh typical VT.

Forming an arguement based on the positives of one guy against the negatives of another, rather than looking at the full picture.

I know, lets make some ridiculous statement that Ian Hollaways better than Mcliesh to overexaggerate how shite Mcliesh is. In doing that tho (to make it 1% believable), we need to focus on the 1 positive of Hollaway (and ignore that it turned out to be a negative anyway) as well as focusing on all the negatives we can find regarding Mcliesh, because if we mention his 8 major trophies, his work with Motherwell, the decent finishes/promotions with Blues, and the fact that he will probably surpass many Villa fans on here (not mine) expectations, and keep us up this season, the undoubted truth that hes better than Holloway will come out.

Same bollocks happened with Mick McArthy at the start of the season. Not to mention Gary Megson.

Seriously, we get it. Not many people are fans of Mcliesh. Im not particularly - but at least give the guy a fair arguement.

I think many Villa fans had the expectation that we would get relegated because of McLeish, not regardless of him. Anyone who thinks simply avoiding relegation is something to be proud of with our current squad...wel, I'd strongly disagree with them. And I doubt there are many at all.

Not about sticking up for him. Its about not making ridiculous statements to put him down even further.

So far nobody claiming Holloway is better has come up with any form of evidence to support it.

Style of football?? - How many major trophies has Holloways style of football won?

Not about sticking up for him. Its about not making ridiculous statements to put him down even further.

So far nobody claiming Holloway is better has come up with any form of evidence to support it.

Style of football?? - How many major trophies has Holloways style of football won?

Agreed no way do we want Holloway his football is ott attacking and hoping you can defend and with our defense that would be suicide!

Should get a good manager in who can give the whole club a lift.

Doubt it will happen with the morons we have currently in charge.

I'm shell shocked that anyone sticks up for Mcleish in any way whatsoever, unbelievable.

To be fair to Woodytom, I don't think he has been sticking up for McLeish. In fact I have seen him post on many occasions that he is not a McLeish fan.

His point is that he feels (and I happen to agree) that the claim that Holloway is a better manager is unbalanced. The only measure that seems to be used is Holloway's style of football. Which has actually got him relagated with QPR, Leicester and Blackpool so he has actually had little success. In terms of silverware he is nowhere near McLeish but credit must be given for getting B'Pool promoted.

However McLeish in his time in management got Motherwell to second behind Rangers in 1994. So has performed a similar achievement.

A couple of weeks ago someone summarised my thoughts perfectly for me (not sure who it was so apologies for not giving credit)....

McLeish (for me) is a good manager, however he is just not right for AVFC. That is for many reasons, mentality, where he has come from, tactics. However that does not stop him from being a good manager or one that may go on to have a lot of success. It just isn't the right fit.

Similar to how Little and Gregory were fantastic (for the most part) for us. Yet were crap everywhere else.

Holloway is definitely an arsehole (then again so is McLeish) but I think it's pretty clear that he's a far better manager than McLeish.

McLeish is not an arsehole. He's just a useless doughnut.

I think he is.

I really dislike Holloway as a person but he's not a bad manager

Well Blackpool might have been the media's darlings for a year, but that doesn't hide the fact that they were hideously bad at defending, were a one man team, got relegated, and all Holloway had to say was ''oh well you know us, we can't defend, ho ho ho''. Pretty poor stuff if you ask me!

Blackpool had by far the least resources in the league IIRC. It would've been a minor miracle had they stayed up. SHA on the other hand definitely should've stayed up with the squad they had. Both SHA and Blackpool went down on 39 points. The only difference really was that Blackpool were exciting to watch where as SHA were mind-numbingly boring, just like we are right now.

So rather than getting relegated playing shit football, you want us relegated playing exciting to watch.

Isn't that rather like rather like going on an Arctic expedition wearing only your underpants, and deciding to die in a polar bear attack rather than freezing to death?

:?

Holloway is definitely an arsehole (then again so is McLeish) but I think it's pretty clear that he's a far better manager than McLeish.

McLeish is not an arsehole. He's just a useless doughnut.

I think he is.

I really dislike Holloway as a person but he's not a bad manager

Well Blackpool might have been the media's darlings for a year, but that doesn't hide the fact that they were hideously bad at defending, were a one man team, got relegated, and all Holloway had to say was ''oh well you know us, we can't defend, ho ho ho''. Pretty poor stuff if you ask me!

Blackpool had by far the least resources in the league IIRC. It would've been a minor miracle had they stayed up. SHA on the other hand definitely should've stayed up with the squad they had. Both SHA and Blackpool went down on 39 points. The only difference really was that Blackpool were exciting to watch where as SHA were mind-numbingly boring, just like we are right now.

So rather than getting relegated playing shit football, you want us relegated playing exciting to watch.

Isn't that rather like rather like going on an Arctic expedition wearing only your underpants, and deciding to die in a polar bear attack rather than freezing to death?

:?

You haven't seen the size of his underpants! :winkold:

What people seem to be missing is that McLeish had so much more to work with at SHA. Blackpool staying up would've been a minor miracle. SHA staying would've been meaningless as it was expected. As it happens they couldn't even do that, all thanks McLeish.

What people seem to be missing is that McLeish had so much more to work with at SHA. Blackpool staying up would've been a minor miracle. SHA staying would've been meaningless as it was expected. As it happens they couldn't even do that, all thanks McLeish.

Should Leicester or QPR have been relegated when Holloway took over?

I don't know enough about their circumstances to comment on that.

Not missed that at all.

The point is they didnt stay up. There was no minor miracle.

I agree with you that he had more to work with at SHA but he definately achieved more as well. As well as gettin relegated, he won them a cup.

I don't know enough about their circumstances to comment on that.

I do regarding Leicester. My dads a leicester fan. As gobsmacked as I was that they went down. A truly abysmal appointment.

QPR, Im not sure

Not missed that at all.

The point is they didnt stay up. There was no minor miracle.

I agree with you that he had more to work with at SHA but he definately achieved more as well. As well as gettin relegated, he won them a cup.

Blackpool performed as expected in the Premier League, although I think many had them to go down easily but the fact is they were within a shout of staying up until the very last day. Also, unlike McLeish's teams, they actually played good football and attacked teams.

If we're going to struggle and eventually go down (and we will under McLeish) I'd rather do it while being entertained.

I don't think Holloway is a good manager, I just really don't rate McLeish. I didn't rate him before he came here and I certainly don't rate him now. Dreadful manager. Can't believe a couple of people suggested him when we were looking for a new manager after MON resigned.

Â