The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

I have yet to see anyone put a compelling argument to the contrary other than the normal: "He's our manager so we have to support him."

ok, here's my attempt:

1) Give him time to settle & mould the team (more than the 10 games he's had so far).

2) good defensively apparently. Our defence has been awful for almost 2 years now, so maybe its the players rather than the manager who are rubbish.

3) It would cost £5m to sack him.

4) Could we get anyone better, for the same salary, and working to the same limited budget.

5) Randy & his team must have seen something in him that they thought would be beneficial to Villa.

6) Did decent-ish at Rangers.

7) Won a major cup with a poor side at Bham City.

8) "He's our manager so we have to support him" :winkold:

(i'm not saying i agree with all those points above, just listing the points that could be made).

Not commenting on you to start with! but we are really scraping the barrel on them for him....only number 2 and 7 are anything to do with his ability...maybe 6 but that's iffy given who Rangers are in the SPL

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me Mick McCarthy over that Scottish Ginger Nose Tw@t every day of every week!!

McCarthy is tactically astute. What he has done on a very limited budget at wolves is sensational. He likes to play it on the deck and get it wide.

McLeish should have never been given the chance to manage Aston Villa. His football is nothing short of Dirge!!......................Oh and most importantly of all he's an ex scumbag. Now some of you may be able to see past that.....I never will!!!!

Give me Mick McCarthy over that Scottish Ginger Nose Tw@t every day of every week!!

McCarthy is tactically astute. What he has done on a very limited budget at wolves is sensational. He likes to play it on the deck and get it wide.

McLeish should have never been given the chance to manage Aston Villa. His football is nothing short of Dirge!!......................Oh and most importantly of all he's an ex scumbag. Now some of you may be able to see past that.....I never will!!!!

What limited budget? Hes spent over £20M NET since 2009, thats not limited.

If McLeish goes, we will end up with Sven..Our board are being advised by old hat old timers with no ideas how the game is evolving..This Premiership experienced only tag, proves that the club have no vision into the future of the game. Most Premiership experienced managers are already in good jobs, or have already been tried, tested and failed in the Premiership...So why on earth would the club want to continue the trend? We need change and re-invention, we need to move forward into the modern era of football.

The backline needs a facelift. No more Collins, this is getting ridiculous. Kills half of our attacks before they even start.

Cuellar-Dunne-Clark-Warnock

More solidity at RB, and no hoofing. Would improve us considerably imo.

If we are looking to improve considerably, I would consider removing McLeish! :D

I'l 2nd that :winkold:

I'll third it and throw in Warnock as well whilst you're at it!

Tatically inept. Still does not know his first team, does not know how to defend set pieces, does not play players to there strengths. Has no idea how to set up a midfield or how to use 2 fine attacking options in Gaby and Bent. Buys shite, Hutton, my god is just woeful, Jenas...............say no more, will he ever be fit enough this season and like o'neil cant see the shite in Heskey.

And we still have people defending him. I want to like him I really do, I love the way he shouts the passion from the touch line. But in truth he has not kept up with Premiership football, its all a bit old school football from him and its just not good enough.

Guys............nothing will changeits all a bit o'neil (ok without the wins) zero plan B.

The problem is that this is still a team very much set up by O'Neill. Houllier had one transfer window in which to work, and only laid the bare foundations for remaking the team in a continental manner. McLeish was then likely asked to consolidate from the current setup in his first window.

He brought in Hutton for much the same reasons O'Neill brought in Agathe, Sutton and Petrov- familiarity and the knowledge that he could get Hutton playing his best football (as he did at Rangers and with the Scottish national side). And Hutton has improved steadily since joining; I don't know, for example, that Cuellar makes the run that set up Petrov's goal.

Playing Delph in midfield for the first few matches was a move supporters have been crying for since he came back fit last December- and unfortunately it hasn't worked. But, rather than just let a favorite play through a poor patch, damn the results, McLeish has moved to find something that does work, hence Chris Herd as our midfield anchor for the previous match and a half.

Purchasing N'Zogbia was the move everyone liked when Young and Downing left- and McLeish has rotated him in and out of the squad in an effort to find his form, which suddenly went missing.

Further, other than the set pieces, we have started to see Villa play better and better football as the season has progressed- we had 60 percent of the possession against Sunderland, which doesn't happen if the team just hoofs and chases.

The return has been less than expected so far, but I think McLeish will turn it around in the very near future, and I expect, much like last season and O'Neill's first, the performances in the run-in will leave everyone hopeful.

I'm getting really sick of all this 'Mcleish will make us a solid, mid table team' shit. That is the worse possible thing to be. Boring, negative football where you would rather not lose than win. Plus we are just as abysmal at defending set pieces as we were under Houllier. He defends players like Collins who has been awful and plays Heskey in midfield. I am trying to be patient with him but he is doing himself no favours with his tactics and team selection right now.

I'm getting really sick of all this 'Mcleish will make us a solid, mid table team' shit. That is the worse possible thing to be.
Nobody said it was good - although I guess it may be seen as better than last season's romance with relegation.

It's just what McLeish will do and I'm sure it's why he was appointed because it's what Lerner wants for the club.

I'm getting really sick of all this 'Mcleish will make us a solid, mid table team' shit. That is the worse possible thing to be.
Nobody said it was good - although I guess it may be seen as better than last season's romance with relegation.

It's just what McLeish will do and I'm sure it's why he was appointed because it's what Lerner wants for the club.

Lerner hired McLeish because he thought that he was a good manager...He seen McLeish win a cup for Birmingham City so thinks he will win one for us.

He gave him funds to replace Friedel and Young and seen Albrighton as the up and coming replacement for Downing..He allowed the sale of Luke Young, and gave sufficent funds to get in another player..He allowed Makoun out on loan so allowed room for another loanee..

Mid table was never an option..We even had the General saying a top ish position is what he was expecting..And that we should wait and see how good McLeish is etc..

The appointment still makes no sense though. There are better, cheaper, less controversial managers out there that could have provided mid-table stability

who for example? Hughes would have never came here unless he got a big budget its why he left Fulham.

If McLeish goes, we will end up with Sven..Our board are being advised by old hat old timers with no ideas how the game is evolving..

So which one of these old hat old timers advised the board to employ Houllier or did these old timers only join recently.

Also Houllier is a year older than Sven and no where near as succesful a manager.

The appointment still makes no sense though. There are better, cheaper, less controversial managers out there that could have provided mid-table stability

who for example? Hughes would have never came here unless he got a big budget its why he left Fulham.

I was under the impression Hughes left Fulham because the Villa job became available?

Anyway, I can think of plenty. Hughton, Hughes, Gregory, Jol, Eriksson, to name a few.

Sven would wipe the floor with GH managerial credentials and club and international level. The great GH failed to get France to a World Cup while Sven is Englands most successful manager in 20 years plus has won leagues in Portugal, Sweden and Italy

If McLeish goes, we will end up with Sven..Our board are being advised by old hat old timers with no ideas how the game is evolving..

So which one of these old hat old timers advised the board to employ Houllier or did these old timers only join recently.

Also Houllier is a year older than Sven and no where near as succesful a manager.

I could answer this question but I chose not to...As it would just be ANOTHER thread going down the Houllier path..All I can suggest is that you do some research and you may find the answer yourself..

By the way, Houllier was an old hat appointment..Just a stroke of luck(bad luck when you consider the health problems) that they stumbled upon him..He ticked the boxes that their "old hat" requirements were looking for..

You can kinda guess that these advisors wont go for a manager like Deschamps, Flores, Poyet etc they are not ex Premiership rejects.

By the way, Houllier was an old hat appointment..Just a stroke of luck(bad luck when you consider the health problems) that they stumbled upon him..He ticked the boxes that their "old hat" requirements were looking for..

So I am confused is old hat a good thing or not?

I could answer this question but I chose not to...As it would just be ANOTHER thread going down the Houllier path..All I can suggest is that you do some research and you may find the answer yourself..

You can kinda guess that these advisors wont go for a manager like Deschamps, Flores, Poyet etc they are not ex Premiership rejects.

Well sidestepped.

I dont think the average person could make your posts up, so for that you must be congratulated.

Â