Prometheus - Alien prequel..or is it..

NowDoINotLikeThat

This friday ! :clap:

I saw a lot more than I wouldve liked the other week when I went to the cinema, as they showed one of the featurettes before the film.

I'll be going to one of the first showings on Friday afternoon, as the cinema is only down the road from my work, and the wonder of flexible hours permit me to leave at my whim. SO I WILL. And I will turn up an hour early to secure my favoured seating position in the auditorium. Plus it should be early enough in the day (~3pm probly) so that no kids will be there. Just us proper srs film fans. Maybe a couple will be smoking pipes. There might be a guy in an Alien costume. I just don't know. But I am excited.

I want to go to an early screening on Friday, like I did with the Avengers, but this time I won't be able to. Will see it with a couple of mates next week I think. A shame becaus eI kinda enjoyed going to a more or less empty cinema for the Avengers and enjoying that film in more or less mint situation (apart from when the film skipped and melted...;))

It's being press screened on Wednesday in the UK, so assuming embargoes end then too expect reviews to start dropping Wednesday night.

I've still got this niggle that Ridley is going to serve up something that disappoints the Alien fanboys... I think the mystery of the Space Jockey is going to be rather less fulfilling than the fans might hope. The stuff from the Dark Horse comics is going to need to be binned, imo.

Heres hoping I'm wrong though! I want to come out of the cinema when I do see it, doing this

c9GiB.gif

The biggest decision though... 3D or not? Give Ridley the benefit of the doubt and 3D it's last chance, or save my money as per avoiding a silly gimmick...

As it was shot in 3D I will go and see it in 3D first I think. I have avoided 3D a lot myself, and have only seen a handful of films in 3D at the flicks...Avatar, Up, ermmm...I think there might have been 1, maybe 2 others, but thats it. Unless the film is an unequivocal disaster, I will probably go and it again anyway, in which case it would be in 2D.

I'm going to see it in 3d but that's only cuz I'm going IMAX, done the same with the avengers went to see it 3d IMAX then saw it at the showcase in 2d and enjoyed it a lot more...though that could have been because of the bird I went with and because I wasn't nursing a stonking hangover.

Anyway can't wait for it going on Saturday at 4 o'clock

I wish I could justify going on Friday :(

Also, apparently there was a French screening yesterday, for some reason, and 'proper' spoilers and reactions are coming out. I'm avoiding the spoilers, just in case, but the general feeling on the reactions is 'mixed'.

So temper expectations to as far as possible reduce disappointment.

The Telegraph review (4/5) states what a lot of people expected - it's not really a direct prequel, it answers a few question, and leaves rather more unanswered. Also suggests it's not without flaw, by a long way.

Temper expectations. It's not going to be a bad film, but if you're expecting something that leads directly into Alien, or something that is a flawless new standard in sci fi, you're in for disappointment it seems.

3/5 from Empire.

Paper thin characters and a bad script.

But I've also read rave reactions.

And strangely theres no consensus on how much of a prequel to Alien to it is. Some claim it's undeniably an Alien prequel, others are saying it's not really a prequel.

Your mileage may vary, I guess. Still hyped.

4/5 from total film

said it looked amazing, fassbender, rapace and theron all superb the rest not up to much, including elba

also said that the premise is great but once the action starts it takes a dip, also unsurprisingly it doesnt touch the 1st 2 but is miles better than the last 2, which i think everyone expected

described the 3D as beautiful, to be fair in all the reviews ive read not one has criticised the 3D

In regards to it being/not being a sequel - they've been pretty explicit in saying that the movie is a stand alone feature, the fact that ALIEN isn't plastered all over the (very considerable) ad campaign is very telling. I fully expect it to be a canon part of the Alien universe, but not much more than that. I mean, people weren't actually expecting Xenomorph's to be running around by the end of the film were they...?

I say that having read no reviews and no spoilers, but am pretty confident that will be the case. By this time tomorrow I will know fur shur :$

Empire don't sound too enthused with Rapace or her character.

Which interests me as I'm convinced, based purely on the Millenium/Dragon Tattoo series, that she's really not all that as an actress. And the stuff in the lead up to Prometheus didn't convince me otherwise either. I want to see whether she is any cop or not, andthis could be the film to do it.

In regards to it being/not being a sequel - they've been pretty explicit in saying that the movie is a stand alone feature, the fact that ALIEN isn't plastered all over the (very considerable) ad campaign is very telling. I fully expect it to be a canon part of the Alien universe, but not much more than that. I mean, people weren't actually expecting Xenomorph's to be running around by the end of the film were they...?

I say that having read no reviews and no spoilers, but am pretty confident that will be the case. By this time tomorrow I will know fur shur :$

Thats more or less where I was all along for it - it's part of the canon there will be nods to the universe but it's not going to end with Alien fully set up.

I do however, think the xenomorph will appear. I've read nothing to say that it does appear, and I've been careful with the reviews I've read (I've not touched the Grauniads review because they've got form for just blurting out the entire plot), so I've nothing to base that belief on, but I'm just sure the xenomorph has to be in it at the end. I'd bank on the final shot being theSpace Jockey with a xenomorph popping out of it's chest, and I will be shocked if it isn't seen at all. It definitely will appear, even if it's just a cameo, in Prometheus, imo.

I couldn't really care less what the reviews are saying to be honest. I'll judge it for myself and am expecting it to be a fun ride, even though the story may not be very strong.

The average review scores seem to be pretty decent by the way, at 88% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Empire don't sound too enthused with Rapace or her character.

Which interests me as I'm convinced, based purely on the Millenium/Dragon Tattoo series, that she's really not all that as an actress. And the stuff in the lead up to Prometheus didn't convince me otherwise either. I want to see whether she is any cop or not, andthis could be the film to do it.

She was pretty poor in the latest 'Sherlock Holmes' film too, although that was only a small part.

Peter Bradshaw of the Graun gave it 3/5 with a scene-stealing performance from Fassbender. Haven't read the review as he's famous for spoilers.

Â