Prometheus - Alien prequel..or is it..

NowDoINotLikeThat

It's probably more accurate to say that above plot thing may spoil the entire plot. There was/is some cynicism over it because in the making of a film, you'd never produce a document like that (you'd have a full script, which that obviously isn't, or the pitch, which that also isn't, or the doc you make to give an exec an idea of what you're planning, which that also isn't because it's too in depth), and when leaks happen it's usually a proper production document that gets released.

But thus far very little hasn't tied into that. I think it'll be more or less on the money, though I think it's going to be a bit wide of the mark on Theron.

• 2 weeks later...

James Cameron: "There's a gap of a few years between Prometheus and the original Alien. That gap is meant for me to answer all the questions raised in Prometheus".

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to say.

BUt I wouldn't think so. From what people have said it's not a direct prequel to the Alien movies, but it is connected and set before them.

My guess is as a standalone movie it'll still be a good film in it's own right. I'd imagine knowing the Alien films will make it better, but not essential.

My advice would be do yourself a favour and watch the first Alien movie. It's an absolute classic

It's clearly a prequel to Alien.

But as Stevo985 says, it's probably going to stand on it's own legs quite well. I suspect a lot of why Ridley Scott was hazy on it being a prequel to Alien is that it won't have the direct thematic similarities that you'd expect from a prequel, it's going to be telling a story in it's own right that just so happens to be set in and lead into, the Alien canon.

As it is, knowledge of the Alien universe might give you little nods and winks, but you'd almost certainly be able to not know a thing of Alien and enjoy it. You'll just have the Alien fans nudging each other going 'OMG ITS THE SPACE JOCKEY! OMG ITS THE DERELICT! OMG ITS LV-426!'.

...or not on the last point... ;)

Â