Mellberg or McGrath

ahamaad

Olof Mellberg or Paul McGrath?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Olof Mellberg or Paul McGrath?

• Olly
    • Paul McGrath

I'm intirigued to know what people think when comparing these two? I personally think McGrath hands down, simply because he was, in a word, unbeleivable. I think if King Olof hangs around long enough he may well become just a big a legend.

There y'go, Uncle Iain fixed the options for you...

BOF : Fixed typo in thread title

You won't be surprised to know it's Our Lord McGrath for me! The finest player I've ever seen in a Villa shirt (honourable mention for "Sid")...and if there's ever been a better defender...anywhere!...ever!...then I've not seen them. 100% pure genius!...and CLASS?

No, Mellberg's fantastic, and he's vital for us at present...but he'll never be THAT good.

Macca's winner at home to Forest 92-93 is one of the best headers I've ever seen also. Geeze, remember that one!?

4 people have voted for "who is the better player/defender" :shock:

that'd be difficult to get on the back of a shirt :mrgreen:

voted for Kum by Ah, My Lord. Ollie is getting there, but he's made a few mistakes and cannoy yet challenge for macca's crown.

If Ollie has another 2 or 3 great seasons for us then he would indeed be challenging for the mantle.

But not yet ....

Olly is good, no question, but really there is no comparison. Quite simply there are very few defenders alive or dead who can compare favourably with McGrath.

He was better with the ball at his feet, better in the air, read the game like no one else and all this with a pair of buckled knees and frequent hangovers not to mention bugger all training.

Keep up the good work Olly. A fine defender but not quite in GOD's class.

Perhaps a comparison with Southgate might create more debate.

Im amazed that 5 (at the moment) have voted for Olly above McGrath. I am wondering how many of those actually saw the great man in his prime defending for Villa. For those that maybe a bit too young picture this, a defender that doesnt appear to run far but is always in the right place, a defender who doesnt appear to jump high but always wins headers, a defender who appears from nowhere to get the ball and stop a certain goal. Not a ranter and a raver on the pitch just a great defender and one who played some of his best football while at VP.

I've gone for McGrath. But the very fact that this poll has been created is a tribute to our present man-mountain. That he is even being considered in the same league as McGrath says that Mellberg is world class and if I could pair the 2 of them in the 1 Villa team I think we would waltz into the Champions League with several 1-0 wins :)

I see that McGrath is in a big lead and I must say that it is right. Paul McGrath was a tremendous centrehalf for Aston Villa when he was at his best. Mellberg isnt quite there yet, but clearly has enormous potential to even achieve a more legendary time then McGrath at Villa Park.

But for now...McGrath wins perfectly fair.

Paul Mcgrath was the finest player i have ever seen in a Villa shirt. He wins by a mile.

No disrespect to Ollie, who is a top drawer centre half, but Macca was one of those once-in-a-lifetime players. He still remains the only Premiership defender to win the PFA Player of the year award. Now to win that, you need to be a bit special. To stop a striker/attacking midfielder winning it, you need to be a legend. Macca scored more goals than Ollie too.

Ollie for me

McGrath was good , but was also a pisshead who missed training and went awol from matches . Ollie is neither of those and for those reasons I judge him the better player

Tony you say he went missing, I can think of one (away at Exeter in the cup?) His record for appearances indicate that he was around a lot of the time

Signed: 03-08-1989

Left: 01-10-1996

Fee: £ 400000

League app / goals :247 (5) 9

FA Cup: 23 (1) 0

League Cup: 29 (1) 1

Other: 15 (0) 0

I don't know about him going 'missing' from training either. I know he was given special dispensation by BFR because of his knees. He couldn't physically train all week then turn out for a game at the weekend. BFR and the team knew McGrath was the best defender at the club. He was allowed to turn up at the weekend perfectly refreshed and give sterling performances week after week. The fact he won the player of the year award as a defender is proof enough of the impact he had.

Also, it should show that he was that much better, if he could do what he did for the club WITHOUT training at all !!!

God. Without doubt my favourite ever. He even played in midfield when required, not too often for us but several times for Ireland.

Ollies great, and the 2 together would be fantastic, but he will never be God.

Â