Mellberg or McGrath

ahamaad

Olof Mellberg or Paul McGrath?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Olof Mellberg or Paul McGrath?

• Olly
    • Paul McGrath

Currently 20% have voted for Mellberg. Much as I have enjoyed watching Olly, I am certain whoever has voted for him must be too young to have had the honour of seeing the great man in action. God was head and shoulders better,

Anyone who voted for Mellberg is either not old enough to have seen McGrath or just not a very good judge of player. To even ask the question in the first place is unbelievable.

Mellberg was a hoof it defender who we grew to love for his length of service, his beard and his hatred of Blues. McGrath was the finnest defender of his generation, the best world player of the year Roberto Baggio admitted was the toughest he ever faced and was voted the PFA player of the year.

No contest.

Very interesting how times change. I don't think this poll would've come up today and if it did I don't think Mellberg would've got that many votes as he did then. Interesting to see that he seems to be more favoured 4 years ago for his game. Today few would've voted him before Southgate for example not to mention God himself. McGrath was pure genius. Mellberg was solid and almost always put his heart into every game and mostly it worked out fine. Not even nearly in the same class as Lord McGrath.

A pissed Paul McGrath was a hundred times better defender than a sober and on-form Olof.

Not sure why I even started the poll in the first place - no question for me.

:?

Currently 20% have voted for Mellberg. Much as I have enjoyed watching Olly, I am certain whoever has voted for him must be too young to have had the honour of seeing the great man in action. God was head and shoulders better,

could not agree more and I loved Olly as well.

I go back to Jimmy Dugdale then John Sleeuwenhoek, two fine central defenders. Chris Nicholl was bloody good too when he wasn't standing on his own keeper's toes. McNaught, apart from his first month or so, and his partner at the back the wonderful Allan Evans. Laursen, bloody magnificent especially with his head. And you could throw in Leighton Phillips, Teale and even Alpay as well.

Olly, unforgettable, consistent over a long period, great clubman. Blimey, not from B6 not from the West Midlands not even British. But a real Villa man. And that business at West Ham with the shirts 10/10 if not more.

But Paul McGrath leaves them all in the shade.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot another superb CB - Southgate.

McGrath was magic. His main strength was that he always seemed to know where the ball would be, so never had to strain to intercept it. Olly was great but it was always a case of "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"

For those who have voted for Mellberg you are dreaming aren't you.

Presumably, you didn't see Paul McGrath play - thats all I can think of.

Olly is the equivelent of Allan Evans, Nigel Spink etc... a great servant and a very good player.

McGrath doesn't come in the catagory of Evans and Spink.......

He comes in the catagory of Beckenbauer, Maldini, Moore etc....

He was one of the best in the world - and it isn't just Villa fans who acknowledge that.

Â