Mellberg or McGrath

ahamaad

Olof Mellberg or Paul McGrath?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Olof Mellberg or Paul McGrath?

• Olly
    • Paul McGrath

I see where you are coming from Tony, but the fact of the matter is we could say that no past player is as good as any of the current ones, its a bit of comparing oranges with apples. The fact is though as was pointed out before, McGrath won player of the year, was consistantly put into world x1 teams by managers and players alike, so during his time, he was a genius. Olly is very very good, and maybe (god forbid) in a better team than Villa we would see him perfom even better. I think though if you compare where each of them are in the time that they played with the better training and medical staff etc, McGrath wins due to how far he was above the rest.

No Blandy ..disagreeing with you doesn't make me wrong , not sure who some people on this site think they are !!

it just means i have a difference of opinion to you on a question that has no right or wrong answer

Drat ..you mean like the UEFA all star squad that has Mellberg in it from Euro 2004 :-)

and

the 1990 & 1994 world cup all star team that did NOT include Paul McGrath ..maybe people here are confusing him with the German Magath who was in the 86 all star team :-)

Is there a better centre back in the prem at the moment than Olly?

Ferdinand - average, but good at jumping on the back of goal scorers backs and showing his open mout, the clearing in the woods.

Campbell - good, but I'd still prefer Olly as he is more mobile.

Terry - good also, but positional sense and concentration in the prem and at international level sometimes lacking.

Ledley King - good, could be very good, maybe on a par if you allow for Olly's mistake against Johnson.

There's nobody else.

No Blandy ..disagreeing with you doesn't make me wrong , not sure who some people on this site think they are !!

it just means i have a difference of opinion to you on a question that has no right or wrong answer

I did say "in my opinion". it's just that a view. We disagree - you think I'm wrong, I think you're wrong. It's OK, so why the "not sure who some people on this site think they are !!" comment? aren't I allowed to say I think you're wrong?

If not, then, sure, yep, you're right, how silly of me to hold a different view. who do I think I am? as you so wisely pointed out.

I do think Olly is one of the best in the prem, probably ledley King has the potential to be as good, King isvery very good, and certainly someone I would like to see in C&B. Those two have the potential to be as good as McGrath, oneday..

Yes, Mellberg is ONE of the best, but McGrath was definatly the best, a class above any other defender around at that time, he had something special that you don't usually have in a defender.

As for what he is doing now, the last i heard he was a director at Waterford Utd in Ireland.

last i heard he was up before the beak for urinating in public , and continuning the role of shame of ex villa players ..Collymore,Charles,McAvenvie to name a few

Can't see Ollie being up for anything more sinister than worse beard of the year award

Well im voting for OOH AHHH Paul McGrath, he was class. He did make the odd mistake, but taking into account his knees were shot, & his alledged alcohol intake, he was sheer class.

Olly, is one of the best around, no doubt about that, but not as good as Macca...

....YET

Yes we have a friend in Jesus,

Yes we have a friend in God,

Yes we have a friend in Jesus,

& his name is Paul McGrath....

....who needs Cantona, when we got Paul McGrath

last i heard he was up before the beak for urinating in public , and continuning the role of shame of ex villa players ..Collymore,Charles,McAvenvie to name a few...

Sadly, he's been up before a few beaks, I think the last time he was of "no fixed abode" somewhere around Manchester, which is particularly sad.

If not, then, sure, yep, you're right, how silly of me to hold a different view. who do I think I am? as you so wisely pointed out.

You're wrong about one thing, Blandy, IMHO of course. :wink:

McGrath for me, too.

tell you one thing sbaldie1's avatar is putting me in a trance like state

i will vote for Paul McGrath

I will not slag of Sorensen

I will not argue on web forums

I will sleep with me hands by my side from now on :oops:

McGrath was the only defender I've seen who regularly made you think "how the **** did he do that?" when he made a tackle. He knew what the attacker was going to do before the attacker did.

...Oh Lord, Paul McGrath...

It is virtually impossible to compare players from different eras as the game is changing all the time.

That said, the fact is that God was that great he won PFA Player of the Year whilst at Villa and Ollie, as good as he is, will struggle to make the best 11 when votes are cast.

Imho of course. :roll:

• 3 years later...
Â