Mellberg or McGrath

ahamaad

Olof Mellberg or Paul McGrath?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Olof Mellberg or Paul McGrath?

• Olly
    • Paul McGrath

McGrath was magic. His main strength was that he always seemed to know where the ball would be, so never had to strain to intercept it. Olly was great but it was always a case of "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"

a clever phrase, i never heard that before. I think a fairer comparison would be Ehiogu and Mellberg. They were of a similar standard, Mcgrath was much better then both

Do people not realise this thread is 4 years old?

At the time it was a valid question. Olly was potentialy the best centre half in the leage at the time or at the very least top 5. Of course he dropped off a LOT in subsequent years.

He dropped a lot did he? I didn't notice.

Just watched his fight with Freddie there again. I'm gonna miss the guy a lot. More Mr Aston Villa than Gareth Barry ever was or certainly will be.

In terms of talent, McGrath clearly is the better of the 2.

But I voted for Mellberg, because his sterling performances throughout the years kept us afloat through tough times. I hate to think where we'd be now without him.

In terms of talent, McGrath clearly is the better of the 2.

But I voted for Mellberg, because his sterling performances throughout the years kept us afloat through tough times. I hate to think where we'd be now without him.

You're dreaming mate. Paul McGrath was simply the best footballer I've seen in claret and blue in more than 30 years of watching the Villa. Mellberg simply isn't fit to lace his boots.

The people who voted for Mellberg must be either deluded or never actually saw McGrath play.

I never saw McGrath play in the flesh (I'm too young), but the footage of him that I've seen is simply awe inspiring.

Ollie was brilliant for the club in the time he was here, at one time one of the best defenders in the Premiership. In the world though? No chance.

McGrath transcended the 'club servant' role and was genuinely one of the true stand out players of his time.

mcgrath played against the italians in world cup 94 without the use of his right arm, and was the best player on the park

he was also drunk most of the time playing for us and was consistently breathtaking

thats how good the bloke was

mcgrath played against the italians in world cup 94 without the use of his right arm, and was the best player on the park

he was also drunk most of the time playing for us and was consistently breathtaking

thats how good the bloke was

i think he marked Shearer out of the game while pissed before..

Franco Baresi said he was the best defender he had ever seen.

he did indeed,i also think he was the best player at that world cup..but i would,seen he was irish and a villan :lol: ,i was just lucky to see him for both club and country,he's one type of defender we'll never see again...

I have been watching football for nearly 38 years. Have not read most of the posts as emotinally tired. Mellberg was a class act for us, great servant and will always be welcome back. Comparing him with McGrath is not fair on both of them. McGrath is one of the best defenders I have ever seen in all the sad years of watching football. Certainly not a better Villa defender

Its a shame Macca played before everyone had broadband. Type any half decent players name who is active today into Youtube and you can see reels and reels of footage. There isnt that much of McGrath.

There were four Villa players in the Irish team that day, Ray Houghton scored the winner but this was McGraths game. Watch the video, its only six and a half minutes long but its what the big man was all about. He had the best player in the world in his pocket. There is a bit at 2:45 where both the Baggio's try to get past him and they cant. Dino was cheeky enough to try twice! :mrgreen:

Condiering he was an huge alcoholic who could not train and sometime played pissed, can you imagine what he would have been like in his PFA player of the year season if he had been the model professional in the peak of his fitness.

Best player to ever pull on a villa shirt in my opinion, and will always be god at villa.

• 1 year later...
Â