Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I watched the match see how I live in Texas at the moment and Gardner looked alright. He has good vision and was willing to take some shots from outside the 18 which was nice to see. He was playing more defensive in my opinion. Whenever he got the ball, he looked forward and ended up normally playing it outwide to Stevens or Hutton. I think he could be a decent player for us this season.

How was his reading of the game? short passing/switching of play? Accurate or wayward like some of his 1st team performances.

I'd love to see him getting back to his youth and reserve performances, such a good passer in the past, it was a surprise how much 1st team football stifled him.

I watched the match see how I live in Texas at the moment and Gardner looked alright. He has good vision and was willing to take some shots from outside the 18 which was nice to see. He was playing more defensive in my opinion. Whenever he got the ball, he looked forward and ended up normally playing it outwide to Stevens or Hutton. I think he could be a decent player for us this season.

How was his reading of the game? short passing/switching of play? Accurate or wayward like some of his 1st team performances.

I'd love to see him getting back to his youth and reserve performances, such a good passer in the past, it was a surprise how much 1st team football stifled him.

Injuries stifled him. The only decent chance he's ever had was a few sparodic starts in that McLeish team.

How do you live in Texas by the way?

To be honest, the midfield in the 1st half was not great. Gardener, Bacuna, Herd.... none of them did anything special but more than that they did not have much of the ball and allowed Dallas to control the midfield. It wasn't horrible, just not as good as you would have liked. In the 2nd half we were so much better with Delph, Westwood and Zoggie

Now Grealish for me did show himself in a good light He was lively and took people on. I would have liked to have seen Grealish play in our 2nd half team because we had much more of the ball.

To be honest, the midfield in the 1st half was not great. Gardener, Bacuna, Herd.... none of them did anything special but more than that they did not have much of the ball and allowed Dallas to control the midfield. It wasn't horrible, just not as good as you would have liked. In the 2nd half we were so much better with Delph, Westwood and Zoggie.

It's interesting how people can see different things in the same game. I thought we were better in the first half and Dallas had the majority of the play in the second half and our midfield was lacking. They never looked all that dangerous but we didn't play well at all. I'm not complaining too much as it's the first friendly after a long break but it was a poor game.

Gardner looked like he wanted the ball which was good, but he looked dodgy whenever he got it. In fact, for most of the game the ball always seemed to be overhit, or passes were wayward and everyone was always at a stretch to keep the ball under control. It looked panicked to me and a decent opposition would have caused us much more trouble.

Looked rusty last night- but he has it in him to be better than Delph IMO .

What are you basing that on if I may?

The fact that I don't rate Delph and I think Gardner is more talented. More vision, better reading of general play, better long shots, scores goals from midfield, better passing, better first touch.

Delph might be able to play def mid instead of Westwood, but I don't rate him in an attacking role.

Injuries stifled him. The only decent chance he's ever had was a few sparodic starts in that McLeish team.

What do you mean by this?

You live in Texas by frying a lot of meat

"I watched the match see how I live in Texas"

Looked rusty last night- but he has it in him to be better than Delph IMO .

What are you basing that on if I may?

The fact that I don't rate Delph and I think Gardner is more talented. More vision, better reading of general play, better long shots, scores goals from midfield, better passing, better first touch.

Delph might be able to play def mid instead of Westwood, but I don't rate him in an attacking role.

You are basing all this off reserve games I am guessing?

I have no idea how you can compare what Gardner done at reserve and U21 level to a player who has done it at Premiership level.

It's easy to believe Gardner has more talent from reserve games. From watching reserve games I also know januzai will be better than Ashley young , given the opportunity. Simples.

Is that the same Ashley Young who had something ridiculous like 9 goals and 17 assists for us in one season? I'm not saying Januzai won't achieve that, but even at Manchester United that would be one hell of a haul. I'm surprised you can be so confident of his talent from watching reserve games.

Delph is an old fashioned dribbler, he's great to watch. He's got excellent close control in tight spaces and the ability to score some spectacular goals. Maybe Gardner is the more "talented", they're completely different players anyway, but again, watching reserve games is not enough to convince.

• Like 1

Old fashioned dribbler spectacular goals. Are we discussing Messi or Delph?

Delph main attributes are hard work, tackling, aggressive, and courage. His dribbling is ok and hid passing too. But nothing special int opinion.

Old fashioned dribbler spectacular goals. Are we discussing Messi or Delph?

Delph main attributes are hard work, tackling, aggressive, and courage. His dribbling is ok and hid passing too. But nothing special int opinion.

Clearly I am using superlatives to present a point. He's an aggressive dribbler with good close control and is capable of scoring spectacular goals. He has negatives of course, but this is the wrong thread to discuss that particular player in depth.

Â