Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

Yes I think I'd be quite happy with Given for starters.

Do we have some young talented keepers coming through who can take on the mantle?

There was a time when we seemed to have a knack of finding talented young GK at the academy.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I call signing a 35 year old who has made one domestic appearance in the last season and who has a questionnable shoulder is all that solid myself.

:thumb:

Yeah, lets buy that other goal keeper, you know the mythical young world class goal keeper with low wage demands, low transfer fee, low ambitions, no history of injuries and has always supported Villa since being a young lad.

So you agree that Given will be a high fee, have high wages and has a history of injuries?

All things considered Given is the best we could realistically expect.

I've never been a massive fan of Given and don't want to sign him.

I'd much prefer a younger, fitter keeper with a better ability to control the back line and his area.

I absolutely agree with this.

Totally ininspiring signing if true

I'd much prefer a younger, fitter keeper with a better ability to control the back line and his area.

I absolutely agree with this.

Totally ininspiring signing if true

I think the point is we'd all want a younger, fitter, better goalkeeper, but such a person with top level experience and within our budget doesn't exist.

Given's control of his back line and area is excellent. Better than Friedel certainly, and better than many top keepers as he has more than enough pace to get off his line and is brave and agile to make saves and close down attackers. Moreover his experience and ability in marshalling defences is top notch.

If you're referring to Given's penchant for sticking to his line on crosses, that'd be more accurate. But Pepe Reina collects less crosses than an atheist and no one gives him any grief.

Given's one of the top goalie's in the Prem and has been for a decade and a half. He shouldn't have anything to prove on ability. He's at least as good as signing as Friedel was and I think better, since he'll likely go for longer.

Fitness wise, the move is more concerning but these risks are always there. Guy's ability at the price is more than worth the punt. A fantastic keeper who will get us points, guaranteed.

I can't help but think a lot of people commenting have forgotten just how good he is - that's Given's fault for bench warming but there's some seriously short memories....

Whats the point in signing a keeper we will be looking to replace again this time next year?

As someone pointed out above, Carlo Cudicici was one of the best keepers in the Prem several season's ago, yet now at 37(2 years older than Given)he is 3rd choice at Spurs.

Anyone else think this shows no vision or scope in the transfer market? The whole world to chose from and we come up with a 35 year old, which will once again do Man City another favour taking one of their duds off the books.. 1st Dunne, then Ireland and now Given..

Carlo Cudicini has never, and will never, be the level of Given. The comparison is ridiculous. Cudicini's a fine shot stopper but come on...

Why do you people keep insisting we'll be replacing him in a year? That's just guess work based on his fitness record and a bit of scaremongering about shoulder injuries - and regular games, keeping the body fit and focused, is as likely to solve the problem than to knack him. Let's be realistic.

There are risks in this signing but the benefits win out - gamble works and it's a masterstroke. Ask the fan of every club he's played for, including Man City, and they'll tell you he's consistently top class. 113 caps for his country, and never ever let them down, tells it's own story too.

Whats the point in signing a keeper we will be looking to replace again this time next year?

Stop your moaning child. Given is 35. Friedel and van der Sar were still top 'keepers at 40.

Stop your moaning child. Given is 35. Friedel and van der Sar were still top 'keepers at 40.

Yes they were, But its still rare to see keepers still playing at top level beyond 35 years old.

Just because Friedel managed it, dosnt necessarily mean every keeper we sign in the future will all still be playing up to 40 years old.

Schmeichel was a top keeper(better than Given) yet still finished at the top come 37 years old..

You know and I know its a limited time signing only.. 1 year 2 years tops and we will be looking to again rplace him and find another keeper to gell in with the back line.

Why not just go out and get it right 1st time, finding a keeper that will grow and gell with the likes of Clark and Baker? This Ruffier guy looked a good bet and I would rather take a chance on a young up and coming keeper thats just had a blinding season..Than an aging keeper thats been injured all season and on the sidelines.

I really really hate the current belief that seems so common place that keeper are at their peak at this sort of age or that all will maintain their ability until this age. It is simply not true.

A few high profile examples though such as James, VDS and Fredal seem to have convinced a lot of people that this is the case.

We should know from our own experience that it isn't always true, Schmeichel was well past his best when he arrived at Villa Park and there hasn't been a better keeper than him.

Fredel was great for us but he was on the way down the whole time he was with us as was very evident last season and I don't think we saw him anywhere near the peak of his powers.

Just because one or two keepers are fine at 40 doesn't really mean anything in relation to other keepers.

Anyone else think this shows no vision or scope in the transfer market? The whole world to chose from and we come up with a 35 year old, which will once again do Man City another favour taking one of their duds off the books.. 1st Dunne, then Ireland and now Given..

Nope, to me it makes sense.

Us, Everton, Liverpool, Spurs, Sunderland & Bolton should be looking to buy their castoffs, imo.

Admit it steak, whatever Lerner/McLeish/Villa do, you're going to find fault with it.

Only when I see us going backwards.

Given has limited shelf life.. And your telling me our scouts/manager can only find players that are common knowledge to 8 year old kids? Where's the scope, adventure, vision and future in this signing? I just want Villa to move forward into the future, not just get by for a season in midtable.

We knew Friedel was getting on a bit and we have had at least 2 years to be spying on, scouting, looking for a replacement..And all we come up with is Shay Given? Its like no work is being done at the club and we just grab what we can from the rejects box..

Just because one or two keepers are fine at 40 doesn't really mean anything in relation to other keepers.

Sure - so weigh it up on other factors.

In ability every time Given has appeared in the last few years he's been the same quality, whether that was for Man City or Ireland. Fans of those sides will tell you as much. There appears no real drop off in his ability.

The fitness fears are more real, but they're still built more on speculation.

For me Given's the best keeper we could get, so worth the risk. People will feel differently - or about Foster or whoever - but I don't think anyone has been consistently as good as Shay.

Like I said - I can't help but feel his spell on the bench has made everyone forget just how good he is but I'm confident he'll prove his ability at VP.

Given is good enough for 3 years at least. By which time we would be hoping to be back into a better position ( top 6 ) to then go grab a good younger keeper again.

Nice thought, but the likelihood is that we will instead go out and sign a 35 year old Rob Green :lol:

Sure - so weigh it up on other factors.

In ability every time Given has appeared in the last few years he's been the same quality, whether that was for Man City or Ireland. Fans of those sides will tell you as much. There appears no real drop off in his ability.

The fitness fears are more real, but they're still built more on speculation.

For me Given's the best keeper we could get, so worth the risk. People will feel differently - or about Foster or whoever - but I don't think anyone has been consistently as good as Shay.

Like I said - I can't help but feel his spell on the bench has made everyone forget just how good he is but I'm confident he'll prove his ability at VP.

I wouldnt be surprised if Westwood becomes Ireland's no'1 in this next season..Westwood on a free was a decent bit of business by Sunderland..