Gym Routine

olboydave

Dante was doing Leangains I think. Not sure if he's kept it up.

I'm definitely going to do it. Might do it for my bulk starting in September to try and minimise my fat gain during that phase. If not, I'll definitely do it on my next cut.

No experience of it but I know people (from another forum) who have used it with excellent results.

If you're going to do it you need to do it properly and commit.

It's all about macros and calories. I did it casually and although I've noticed a bit of difference it's not been drastic, but I haven't worked out macros or calories, I've just been eating and fasting.

I need to work out my body fat %, how many calories I should be having on a work out day and non work out day, and the g of fat, protein and carbs for each day and then hit them religiously. I'll probably do it in the new year. I've got Jamaica in 7 weeks, then America in December so no real 12 week period to dedicate to it.

It's amazing the difference it makes when you take the time to work out the calories and macros, not just for IF, but for diet in general.

From November to May/June I'd been working out and "eating well" but not to any precise diet. I went from about 21% bodyfat to 19.5%. So a 1.5% loss of fat in about 6 months.

In the 12 weeks since then I've sorted my diet out properly, eating 500 calories less per day than I require and all the macros right and I've gone from 19.5% to 16%. So a 3.5% decrease in just under 3 months.

And I've still had a fair few weekends on the piss where that diet has gone completely out of the window, so results could have been even better.

It's a ball ache trying to work out how many calories are in everything and the amount of protein etc etc, but it's definitely worth putting the time in.

I started on Stronglifts and I can't recommend it highly enough. Give it a go. I've found massive improvements in all my lifts and also my physique.

It's 2 routines that you alternate between, and each cycle you add a little bit of weight (you start with just the bar and work up). It's free to sign up to and you get an e-mail with a starter pack and excel sheet to log your progress. To give you an example this is how much I've improved;

Squats: 20kg to 120kg

Deadlift: 20kg to 150kg

Overhead: 20kg to 60kg

Bench: 20kg to 100kg

Rows: 20kg to 70kg

All those are with perfect form.

I've never done any lifting and I like the look of this. I'm a little bit intimidated by that part of the gym to be honest though! did you not feel a little bit silly just lifting an empty bar?

I started on Stronglifts and I can't recommend it highly enough. Give it a go. I've found massive improvements in all my lifts and also my physique.

It's 2 routines that you alternate between, and each cycle you add a little bit of weight (you start with just the bar and work up). It's free to sign up to and you get an e-mail with a starter pack and excel sheet to log your progress. To give you an example this is how much I've improved;

I've never done any lifting and I like the look of this. I'm a little bit intimidated by that part of the gym to be honest though! did you not feel a little bit silly just lifting an empty bar?

An empty bar weighs 20 kg, on certain lifts (overhead for example) that's still a decent amount of weight. You might not need to start on an empty bar, the advice is to start at a weight that is easily manageable so you can get your form right and avoid injuries as the weight goes up.

Anyone who actually knows what they're doing in a gym won't mock you for using an empty bar, anyone who does is an idiot and should be ignored.

Nope. Everyone has to start somewhere. Why should I feel embarrassed about doing something new and starting with the basics? I may have started on a low weight, but I'm now lifting more than most of the guys who are in the gym at the same time as me.

An empty bar weighs 20 kg, on certain lifts (overhead for example) that's still a decent amount of weight. You might not need to start on an empty bar, the advice is to start at a weight that is easily manageable so you can get your form right and avoid injuries as the weight goes up.

Anyone who actually knows what they're doing in a gym won't mock you for using an empty bar, anyone who does is an idiot and should be ignored.

Very much this.

Anyone who knows what they're doing will respect anyone in the gym trying to better themselves.

if someone takes the piss out of you they're not worth giving a shit about.

Very much this.

Anyone who knows what they're doing will respect anyone in the gym trying to better themselves.

if someone takes the piss out of you they're not worth giving a shit about.

I think I will give it a shot when I get back from my holiday then.

Is it worth a PT session 1st time out to ensure my form is spot on?

It's not a bad idea.

And YouTube is your friend for form. Watch videos of how to do the exercises and it'll give you tips of how to do them correctly. That and just start light and work your way up making sure the form is always perfect. A rep without form doesn't count as a rep in my eyes.

I've signed up for that stronglifts 5x5 thing. I'm about due to move away from isolation exercises now anyway so I've an appointment set for this evening and I'll go through the stronglifts programme with the P.T. and see what he thinks. Cheers Dante. I will of course let you know how I get on! At this moment in time though I can't imagine lifting 100kg in any way, shape or form, so that sounds a long way away. I've yet to try my 1 rep max on the bench but based on what I'm doing in sets I'd say I could probably manage 1 of maybe 70kg but I'm not sure. I am only a month and a half in the gym at this stage I suppose. Although my (previously dislocated) shoulder is starting to give me jip now so I hope that doesn't slow down my progress :?

I think I will give it a shot when I get back from my holiday then.

Is it worth a PT session 1st time out to ensure my form is spot on?

Not a bad idea, keep in mind though that anyone can be a personal trainer. Mark Rippetoe (olympic powerlifting coach) has lots of videos on youtube regarding proper form with the basic lifts, they're well worth a watch, he also has a good book that might be worth a read. Basically, you can't go wrong if you keep your back as straight as possible and lift with your knees.

Right, looking through the stronglift 5x5 I want to make sure that all of my current isolation exercises will be covered by something in the new programme so that nothing is let slide. So I've put my current exercises below and beside them I've put what I think covers that exercise in the new programme. Am I right? If not, please correct me.

Abs - Probably still need to do ab machine but that's OK.

Shoulder press - Overhead press

T-bar - Deadlift / Overhead press

Bench press - Bench press

Bent over dumbbell - Deadlift / Barbell row

Flys on bench - ??? Which of the 5 targets pecs?

Biceps - Barbell row / anything else?

Triceps - Barbell row / anything else ?

I may continue to do flys, as I really see the benefits of that one.

Right, looking through the stronglift 5x5 I want to make sure that all of my current isolation exercises will be covered by something in the new programme so that nothing is let slide. So I've put my current exercises below and beside them I've put what I think covers that exercise in the new programme. Am I right? If not, please correct me.

Abs - Probably still need to do ab machine but that's OK.

Shoulder press - Overhead press

T-bar - Deadlift / Overhead press

Bench press - Bench press

Bent over dumbbell - Deadlift / Barbell row

Flys on bench - ??? Which of the 5 targets pecs?

Biceps - Barbell row / anything else?

Triceps - Barbell row / anything else ?

I may continue to do flys, as I really see the benefits of that one.

Abs - No need to go anywhere near an ab machine. Awesome abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. You can't remove fat from specific areas by exercising, you need to drop your overall bodyfat % through exercise in order to get a bitchin' six pack.

The heavy compound lifts will work out every muscle you need to work, there is nothing that is 'missed' if you're doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press and barbell rows.

Stronglifts advocates a 5x5 lifting protocol, that will quickly become way too much volume, you're best off sticking to 3x5 for the duration (1x5 for deadlifts) and ramping the weights up a bit quicker.

Personally I enjoy doing chin ups, pull ups and tricep dips so I add those to my routine, although it's entirely optional.

Also, the barbell rows recommended by stronglifts will quickly put you in a wheelchair due to the horrendous strain on the lower back. A much better option is Pendlay rows (youtube it), in which the lower back is kept straight and parallel to the floor, and the rep is completed all the way up and back down to the floor.

OK thanks RJ. And pecs? None of the above seem to concentrate particularly on those. As for abs, the kitchen bit is sorted. I've a really healthy diet. I just want a stronger stomach. I'm currently doing a 3 drop set as follows 20x57.5kg, 20x55kg, 20x52.5kg and that's increasing in weight slowly. I'm happy with that and want to continue it. I'll definitely look into the pendlay now before I start the new prog. Thanks again.

The deadlift looks fairly tough on the lower back too. I suppose I'm not going to be able to eliminate all risk from the lower back. I think I've enough to go with for this evening :) (all nervous like). These are big boy exercises now :)

Â