Gym Routine

olboydave

How many grams of protein in a bowl of porridge?
Won't be much. My porridge is only 11% protein which means ~3-4 grams per bowl (milk not included). Porridge is usually about 60% carbohydrates BUT it is only maybe just over 100 calories per bowl not including the milk, so despite it being largely carbs you'll be eating at a deficit for a workout and you won't be hungry for a while so I still think it's a good breakfast.

As for what's best to eat before a workout. I've found that scrambled eggs are very good. Immediate energy and filling without being heavy. But that's my choice. You might find something else.

Broaching the subject of nutrition, if I may...

At the moment I tend to consume the following on workout days, on non gym days I will usually stick to 1 or 2 rounds of smoothies.

Morning Smoothie

1 large scoop of whey protein

2 large scoops of instant oats

Banana / Blueberries

Milk

Pre Workout Smoothie

1 mini scoop of Creatine

Yoghurt

Banana / Blueberries

Honey

Post Workout Shake

1 Scoop of Whey Protein

1 mini scoop of Creatine

Water

Evening time

Regular meal

Does anyone else do anything that resembles or wildly differs from this? I find that packing everything together into a smoothie makes for a good way to meet your nutritional needs for the day. Though I'm fully aware that I do eat too much in the evening, I don't really intend on changing this because I enjoy cooking something decent which I can share with my missus.

I'm glad there are a lot of proper ingredients to the shakes in that list.

I do believe we should get all the protein required from food alone. I know this is often a case of a time-constraint for some and a reason to use shakes but this is wrong.

Did anyone see the Panorama investigation in regard to protein shakes? They spoke to a number of Doctors and Professors who deemed them "not even relevant for sport at the highest level" They also analysed much of the research that had been used as evidence to support the use of protein shake and even found some dating back to a study from 1932 that was conducted on rats :lol:

At the moment marketing campaigns see the protein shake as the golden ticket and the mark-up on this stuff is hilarious when you break it down to the resale value. The medium is the message and the industry currently looks at the shake as the definitive 'golden ticket'.

It would be far more beneficial to have a glass of milk as one small cup can contain as much as 8 grams of protein. Another great source is with nuts and seeds such as almonds, peanuts, sunflower, pumpkin and flax. I know many pro-fighters put a lot of flax seds in their shakes rather than the chemical compositions like the protein shake!

After 3 weeks off from the gym, im back tomorrow. Put fair bit of weight on due to my wedding n honeymoon, cba to lose it now, going to go for mass n strength for next 12 weeks now. Cant wait to get back in the gym.

might check out Birmingham Uni gym as its suppose to be really good for weights.

Broaching the subject of nutrition, if I may...

At the moment I tend to consume the following on workout days, on non gym days I will usually stick to 1 or 2 rounds of smoothies.

Morning Smoothie

Banana / Blueberries

Milk

Pre Workout Smoothie

1 mini scoop of Creatine

Yoghurt

Banana / Blueberries

Honey

Post Workout Shake

1 Scoop of Whey Protein

1 mini scoop of Creatine

Water

Evening time

Regular meal

Does anyone else do anything that resembles or wildly differs from this? I find that packing everything together into a smoothie makes for a good way to meet your nutritional needs for the day. Though I'm fully aware that I do eat too much in the evening, I don't really intend on changing this because I enjoy cooking something decent which I can share with my missus.

I'm glad there are a lot of proper ingredients to the shakes in that list.

I do believe we should get all the protein required from food alone. I know this is often a case of a time-constraint for some and a reason to use shakes but this is wrong.

Did anyone see the Panorama investigation in regard to protein shakes? They spoke to a number of Doctors and Professors who deemed them "not even relevant for sport at the highest level" They also analysed much of the research that had been used as evidence to support the use of protein shake and even found some dating back to a study from 1932 that was conducted on rats :lol:

At the moment marketing campaigns see the protein shake as the golden ticket and the mark-up on this stuff is hilarious when you break it down to the resale value. The medium is the message and the industry currently looks at the shake as the definitive 'golden ticket'.

It would be far more beneficial to have a glass of milk as one small cup can contain as much as 8 grams of protein. Another great source is with nuts and seeds such as almonds, peanuts, sunflower, pumpkin and flax. I know many pro-fighters put a lot of flax seds in their shakes rather than the chemical compositions like the protein shake!

I saw that documentary and to be honest, they didn't really focus on protein shakes.

It was more energy drinks.

protein shakes, as long as it's good quality, does make a difference. It's scientifically proven. Yes protein from whole foods is better, but protein shakes are fine as long as they are taken to meet macronutrient targets and not just taken for the sake of it.

The problem is, people just think "I'll take protein because that's the done thing" without factoring it into a daily calorie intake and macronutrient intake.

Yes the documentary said protein shakes won't help the "avergae person". But if someone is taking their weight training and diet seriously, then protein shakes are almost a necessity. They do work.

Porridge on milk flavoured with cinnamon powder :thumb:

This. But I flavour mine with strawberry Whey. It's actually really nice, and much better than a spoon of sugar which I used to use!!

Few goals to hit before 2013.

200kg deadlift (currently on 185kg)

170kg Squat (160kg atm)

80kg snatch (77kg pb but done in Jan)

100kg Clean n Jerk (95kg pb done in jan)

10 wide grip pull ups.

18 weeks to make big gains, some are more achievable than others but injuries avoided and should be fun.

Nice lifts (and goals) there V_S.

Started IF on Saturday morning. Going well so far, meals have been monitored, no calories consumed before or after my feeding window (12-8pm), just water and black coffee.

I weighed in Friday at 93.4kg, weighed in this morning at 90.5. Probably a bit of water weight that was shifted but I'm happy with that loss! Now to see if I can keep it up during work. Going back home to cook after working all day is my downfall and usually where I fall off the wagon so to speak.

Wow Dante that's a serious regime. Are you training for something in particular or just taking your workouts to a whole new level of seriousness?

Not training for anything really, just continuing with my strength training and trying to cut down body fat so I can get some ab definition ready for my holiday. IF/LG seems the best way to do that.

I go to Haden Hill mate. £28.50 a month plus you get classes free and use of the pool 8)

Cool site.

My only caveat to those online nutritional value sources is to cross check them against what you're actually eating, because the generic values can vary quite a lot from the particular brand you're using.

So they're great for a starting point, but you'll need to refine your calculations based on actual values from your own food.

I made my original diet using generic values and when I put in my real values instead I was actually eating about 200 calories more than I thought I was

Good workout this evening. Progressing on schedule with the 5x5. I'm having a wrist issue with my own bicep exercise though. Can anyone recommend a good isolation bicep exercise that; if possible; goes easy on wrists. The strain is about an inch from the 'ball' shaped thing just at the top of the hand and on the same side. It has become my limiting factor now. Cheers.

Â