Gym Routine

olboydave

Hello there fitness people.

I have no intention of joining a gym, but I need to shift some moob-age - what are the best exercises to use in the comfort of my own home?

The best work for losing fat is done in the kitchen, brother.

Sort your diet out, add exercise to compliment it.

• Like 1

Thinking of going gym in the summer. Any beginners tips?

go online and find a proven routine. Something basic and for beginners (that's not a put down, beginner routines are there to maximise the big gains that can be obtained when you're starting out) and stick to it.

Don't go for any fad workouts, and don't try to make it up yourself.

Keep it simple and keep your discipline and you'll reap the rewards.

Cheers. When I have a chiseled body I'll be sure to thank you :P
  • Like 1

I got this beginners exercise from a really great book.  The idea is it builds you up and also works all your joints that tend to get injured i.e. rotator cuff.

Core routine - twice a week

Squat - 12 to 15 reps

Wide grip lat pulldown - 12 to 15 reps

Neutral lat pulldown - 12 to 15 reps

Lying leg curl - 12 to 15 reps

Dumbbell bench press - 12 to 15 reps

Dumbbell shoulder press - 12 to 15 reps

Superman - 12 to 15 reps

Crunch - 12 to 15 reps

Integrity routine - once a week

Dumbbell bench press - 12 to 15 reps

Press up - 12 to 15 reps

Dumbell shoulder press - 12 to 15 reps

Seated lateral raise - 12 to 15 reps

Walking lunge - 12 to 15 reps

Overhand row - 12 to 15 reps

Cruch - 12 to 15 reps

Apparently you should do the above for 4 weeks before moving on to more advanced weights.  The above helps develop muscle endurance and connective tissue strength and obviously increase muscle mass slightly.  Rest between 30 seconds and 1 minute between each exercise.

Edited by omariqy

Alright lads, joined the gym again the weekend. I'm not big by any means but I'm looking to try and bulk up a bit. The day that always gets me is back/bi's which I did today. Everytime I do a back exercise I can never feel my back muscles working. My technique is fine though, I'm not sure how I'm getting a Lat pulldown wrong? I can feel it in my bi's more than anything. Today my routine was...

Machine row (not sure of correct name)

Seated low row

One arm dumbbell row

Wide grip lat pulldown

I don't want to attempt bent over barbell row just yet as I fear for doing it wrong and doing my back in aha.

The back muscles are some of the most difficult to really zone in on, mainly because it's hard to see them and feel them.

One thing that really helps when doing horizontal rows is to squeeze the shoulder blades together before flexing the elbows and pulling the weight towards the body. Pause slightly at the peak contraction and squeeze your rhomboids before reversing the sequence. It essentially ends up being a five-part movement. It might take a bit of practice but it will soon become one fluid movement.

Dan John's batwings exercise really helped me learn how to use my rhomboids.

Another tip is to keep pulling work high volume and slow-paced. Reps between 12-20 per set work best for me with a nice slow tempo.

Rope face pulls (seated or standing) and band pull-aparts are great exercises as well. Oh, and learn to chin-up if possible! :)

• Like 2

I've improved on dead lifts, on tri extensions, on squat jumps for distance, on abs, on cardio, but I just can't seem to get any improvement with single leg box step ups. it's actually starting to irritate me.

I've even made more improvements to my diet! But those damn box step ups keep killing me. :-(

• Like 2

Hello there fitness people.

I have no intention of joining a gym, but I need to shift some moob-age - what are the best exercises to use in the comfort of my own home?

The best work for losing fat is done in the kitchen, brother.

Sort your diet out, add exercise to compliment it.

diet is sorted - been eating much better the last few months, and i've lost most of my belly, but the moobs will not shift :-(

Lifters, need some advice regarding intake of the 'ol protein shake!

I'm currently taking 1 a day, first thing when I wake up. I get protein in my afternoon/evening meals. Is this okay? I know there's alot of misconception regarding shakes but if somebody is taking 3-4 a day AND including it in their meals then surely thats an overload? 

Edit: And yes, I'm looking to bulk up.

Edited by Warnock

If you're trying to put on weight, what matters most is consuming more calories than you burn during the course of your average day (don't go too mad as it's hard to train at an intensity/frequency that won't lead to some of it being stored as fat).

With regards protein, aim for at least 2g per kilogram of body weight. I'd recommend experimenting, monitoring your progress and not ruling out going as high as 3g per kg. Depending on your tolerance for them, the majority of the rest of your calories will probably come from carbs, although make sure you get plenty of beneficial fats as well. When I'm trying to gain weight I typically aim for something like a 4:3:3 carb, protein, fat ratio. I'd love to get more calories from protein but meat is just so **** expensive - I already spend around £60 a week on food!

Protein shakes are not the magic potion a lot of people believe them to be. They will certainly do a job and are a great source of protein (if you buy a decent brand) but the benefits most people see from them are just due to the fact that they help them consume more calories. I'd prioritise whole food (contains many other nutrients) and just have shakes whenever they are convenient or simply take your fancy :).

• Like 1

What JB said. I'd have suggested 1g per pound so that's more or less the same as 2 per kg.

If people are blindly drinking shakes then that's when they think they don't work.

If you're 200lbs and you're using a shake to go from 30g of protein a day to 60g then its nor going to make any difference. You're still not having enough.

But if you're using shakes to go from 150g to 200g, then you're using it as intended, a supplement to hit your target.

Personally I am looking to stay lean and build muscle.  Not gain too much wait.  I try and hit 45% protein, 25% carbs and 30% fat.    I tend to get 60% of my protein from food and the rest through shakes.  Not sure if that is good or not!  Getting the right amount of protein through food is expensive tho. I reckon I need about 160g of protein a day and I weigh 77kg.

Personally I am looking to stay lean and build muscle.

That's what we all want!

My problem is I put on weight so fast. And not just muscle, unfortunately.

That's my own fault, I'm not disciplined enough when I'm bulking and put on too much fat meaning I've got loads to lose when I cut.

Its easier said than done though. If you've been cutting for months and suddenly, psychologically, you think you can pig out, you tend to go overboard.

I'm rambling, my point is putting on muscle and staying lean is easier said than done.

• Like 1

Â