Gym Routine

olboydave

Also, I came across this tip for unloading the bar after heavy dead lifts, which is awesome. Apparently it's common knowledge but I've never seen/paid attention to anyone doing it before so thought it might come in handy for anyone else who hasn't seen it :).

well blow me down.

I feel like a right tit for not knowing that!

I guess it begs the question, though: in the case of a surplus, does the body prioritise the utilisation of one or two macronutrients over another or does it somehow take an equal proportion of each to be stored as adipose tissue? Seems unlikely and I bet the answer is out there. I'm getting very geeky now haha. Time for bed!

Something rang a bell about the protein question - vaguely remembered reading a related article so after searching through my bookmarks I found this: Protein will not make you fat which is pretty good read.

When people ask whether your body can only use a certain amount of protein at a time, I don't assume they mean "does it just disappear out your backside". If I drink a shake and eat a Steak dinner within two hours of working out, how many of those 80-90g of protein is my body going to absorb and how many is it going to convert to fat?

Yes, of course there is a limit on how much protein your body can absorb at any one time. Thats not bro science, it's common sense. How big that number is varies from person to person but I seriously doubts it's as low as 50g. Shit, I had 50g for breakfast!

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Is it though? Surely you have to be in a caloric surplus to gain weight? If I happened to only eat one or two meals in a day that had, for arguments sake, as much 200g of protein each, I'd still be in a deficit. So where would this excess energy/fat come from? If I ate enough protein to put myself in a surplus, then sure, depending on training (calories used etc.) I can understand how we might store fat.

I really need to learn more about nutrition. I feel like an idiot when I read a lot of scientific stuff about it. I don't think I'd ever claim to know anything for a fact with nutrition. I just generally base my opinions on what I read from select few sources I trust.

Yep. And that's exactly the point of the article (and what I said pages back in this thread ;) ).

Some days I split my meals up into 6-8 separate portions, whereas on others I'll consume the same macronutrient ratios in 2-3 meals and I've noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever.

This is the real point! 

There are no hard and fast rules as its all personal to yourself. You could have all the theory's backing up your method but if another way works for you is it wrong?

As with everything in this sport/pasttime/hobby its personal trial and error, there are no set rules.

• Like 1

Exactly.

Although there is some stuff that is just plain wrong, like the not being able to absorb more than 30g of protein per meal. However, if you want to only eat 30g per meal then that's cool :).

Yep. And that's exactly the point of the article (and what I said pages back in this thread ;) ).

Some days I split my meals up into 6-8 separate portions, whereas on others I'll consume the same macronutrient ratios in 2-3 meals and I've noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever.

This is the real point!

There are no hard and fast rules as its all personal to yourself. You could have all the theory's backing up your method but if another way works for you is it wrong?

As with everything in this sport/pasttime/hobby its personal trial and error, there are no set rules.

of course.

But that doesn't mean some stuff isn't wrong.

If someone tells you you can't absorb more than 30g of protein per meal then there just wrong :)

Is it though? Surely you have to be in a caloric surplus to gain weight? If I happened to only eat one or two meals in a day that had, for arguments sake, as much 200g of protein each, I'd still be in a deficit. So where would this excess energy/fat come from? If I ate enough protein to put myself in a surplus, then sure, depending on training (calories used etc.) I can understand how we might store fat.

I really need to learn more about nutrition. I feel like an idiot when I read a lot of scientific stuff about it. I don't think I'd ever claim to know anything for a fact with nutrition. I just generally base my opinions on what I read from select few sources I trust.

Surely it depends almost entirely on your metabolic rate? Your body doesn't get to the end of the day and go "right, how shall I divvy this up". It's a constantly changing environment.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

If I understand you correctly then I agree. I was just using an example of myself - 600g protein is a massive amount (that would be very difficult to eat) but it would only provide 2400 calories - way below my maintenance level (I'm 6ft5 and 111kg) - so it stands to reason that there would be no excess for me to store as fat? The calories would be used up by me just 'functioning'.

This is the real point!

of course.

If someone tells you you can't absorb more than 30g of protein per meal then there just wrong :)

You are back to theory again here, they have been known to have been wrong in the past. 

However this is a theory you can test yourself. If it works better one way then this is the correct way, not what someone tells you it should be.

Further more are you (or the bloke who came up with this) telling me that we metabolise protein at the same rate?

Some may have the ability to process 20g, some may have more.

Id say it was dependent on the state of the body at the time.  However this would also skew results if a test was devised, so how could you obtain any proper result without massive extensive trials?

If I was inclined to guess Id say there was a limit, constrained by time and body state, as in most other breakdowns from food.

Edited by Nigel

Going to go buy weights today. I have outgrown my current...

It's not saying a lot. Max weights available to me are 29kg in each hand, which I use for dumbbell bench press. Pushed 5 of them out today on decline, so it's time to move up. Bit of a milestone...

I like this bit.

I used to read a forum called Muscletalk. One of the posters used to say that the best advice he could give someone is: "eat, train, monitor, adjust accordingly".

I agree; it's one of the most sensible things I've ever read about bodybuilding.

Further more are you (or the bloke who came up with this) telling me that we metabolise protein at the same rate?

Some may have the ability to process 20g, some may have more.

Id say it was dependent on the state of the body at the time. However this would also skew results if a test was devised, so how could you obtain any proper result without massive extensive trials?

If I was inclined to guess Id say there was a limit, constrained by time and body state, as in most other breakdowns from food.

What you're not mentioning there is your ability to change your own metabolism.

I like this bit.

I used to read a forum called Muscletalk. One of the posters used to say that the best advice he could give someone is: "eat, train, monitor, adjust accordingly".

I agree; it's one of the most sensible things I've ever read about bodybuilding.

Totally agree. It's essentially what I was trying to say.

I got the impression that Nigel was arguing in support of limiting protein to 30g per meal - which would be a massive constraint and a pretty restrictive "rule". I certainly wasn't saying "you have to eat x amount of y macronutrient z times per day" - quite the opposite - eat when suits/works for you. Don't be constrained by theories that have been disproven.

This is the real point!

of course.

You are back to theory again here, they have been known to have been wrong in the past.

However this is a theory you can test yourself. If it works better one way then this is the correct way, not what someone tells you it should be.

I'm pretty sure there's scientific studies that prove the protein limit broscience is nonsense. I'll have a go at finding them when I'm not on my phone.

But essentially you're right of course.

What I'm saying is that doesn't mean that anything you hear "could" be right. Some things are just plain wrong.

I wish I could bottle the way I felt today. Ran twice as long as I intended to, because it was so easy and could've gone longer. Then lifted everything I tried with ease. It's a while since that's happened.

• Like 2

Â