What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Lots of the 60s bands are in that situation - they fall out and each claim their own version of the group - The Searchers, Barclay James Harvest, many others. But, like the two 'Beats', at least they have an original member. The Feelgoods are just a tribute band, haven't had an original for decades, anybody can join. 

Now that is stupid

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The first Working Week album was really good. The second one, not so much. 

I vaguely remember them tbh. Venceremos being the only song I can instantly recall, I'd gone to Uni by then and that Jazz stuff was for the weirdos 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I vaguely remember them tbh. Venceremos being the only song I can instantly recall, I'd gone to Uni by then and that Jazz stuff was for the weirdos 

Wasn't really jazz, more like jazz musicians slumming it playing soul/pop. Sort of in the Marvin Gaye "What's Going On" style. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Wasn't really jazz, more like jazz musicians slumming it playing soul/pop. Sort of in the Marvin Gaye "What's Going On" style. 

I think that would have made me feel quite ill listening to it back then :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

A kind of plodding 80's Indie that doesn't seem to quite fit the 4AD ethos of the time, great cover. I seem to remember I bought this on the back of seeing a video on Snub TV. Not really doing that much for me, it's OK but that is all (worth about a tenner)

Ultra Vivid Scene

R-410262-1518321434-4751.jpeg.jpg

EDIT: I believe this was the video I mentioned, it's probably the best track on the album and I guess it puts them as 4ADs answer to JAMC with a tinge of Spacemen 3. It's growing on me a little

Has the lucky dip element of Record Store Day been officially done away with?

I know it's always been the case that you could unofficially pre order if you were on nodding terms with a particular shop. But there appears to be an event tonight where you can actually officially pre order as soon as the official list is launched.

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Has the lucky dip element of Record Store Day been officially done away with?

I know it's always been the case that you could unofficially pre order if you were on nodding terms with a particular shop. But there appears to be an event tonight where you can actually officially pre order as soon as the official list is launched.

It's been a sham for years. I've never once been to a record shop on RSD. Put my order in, usually about 6 weeks or so in advance. the last couple of years, there's been next to nothing I'm interested in. Too much effort goes into one day now

They should have a smaller monthly event if they really wanted to increase sales

Probe in Liverpool absolutely detest the whole thing now, they think its served its purpose and causes them too much work for one day a year.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

A kind of plodding 80's Indie that doesn't seem to quite fit the 4AD ethos of the time, great cover. I seem to remember I bought this on the back of seeing a video on Snub TV. Not really doing that much for me, it's OK but that is all (worth about a tenner)

Ultra Vivid Scene

R-410262-1518321434-4751.jpeg.jpg

EDIT: I believe this was the video I mentioned, it's probably the best track on the album and I guess it puts them as 4ADs answer to JAMC with a tinge of Spacemen 3. It's growing on me a little

Sounds like Syd Barrett crossed with the 13th Floor Elevators. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sounds like Syd Barrett crossed with the 13th Floor Elevators. 

Yeah but so did the Jesus and Mary Chain. I think there more Syd in UVS and more Elevators in JAMC but they're in the same territory

• Like 1

Not really an album as such but its more of a follow on from my UVS post of this morning, it made me search out this on Youtube, which only has 200 odd views but its a compilation of Snub TV videos. Snub TV was a short-lived music programme that made and showed music videos for bands, fairly low budget obviously but this was in an age where bands couldn't always afford videos. Sometimes they filmed a live song sometimes they did a proper video but it was always filmed by them. Programme lasted about half an hour each week but they had some great stuff on

This one has Bill is Dead by The Fall (Not a single. Tackhead Live, a live version of Wrote for Luck by the Happy Mondays which really does capture what their gigs were like just before the Madchester thing broke massive, I might even have been at the Mondays show, I worked quite a few of them for SJM and loads more (Shame about James but hey ho)

The Fall - Bill Is Dead
Tackhead - Mind and Control Movement
Kid Congo Powers - La Historia de un Amour
Happy Mondays - Wrote For Luck
Ted Chippington - Pull Up
A Certain Ratio - Tribeca
Ride - Drive Blind
Ancient Beatbox - Raining
Loop - From Centre to Wave
The Blue Aeroplanes - ... And Stones
The Breeders - Iris
The Cramps - All Women are Bad