What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I drove through Lymm not too long ago. Nice place. Where was I going? Altrincham I think. Yeah, that sounds about right. 

I like Cheshire, could see myself there. I can work remotely now so the world is my lobster, so to speak. Well, the UK anyway. 

Ah, "Alty" yeah nice places and good backway into Manc. Well, Four Oaks avatar location, sounds like you'd like Alderley Edge there fella, if you move, you posh git. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Ah, "Alty" yeah nice places and good backway into Manc. Well, Four Oaks avatar location, sounds like you'd like Alderley Edge there fella, if you move, you posh git. 

I could see myself in Alderley Edge, or Holmes Chapel. I have a good mate in Wilmslow as well, another nice place to live. 

Anyway, back on topic:

GnR--UseYourIllusion1.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I could see myself in Alderley Edge, or Holmes Chapel. I have a good mate in Wilmslow as well, another nice place to live. 

Anyway, back on topic:

GnR--UseYourIllusion1.jpg

Takes me back to when I was 10. Very good album.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I knew @Rugeley Villa would like that post!

November Rain. I fookin love that tune! 

Oh yeah for sure. And the big Slash solo too, when that kicks in makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, especially after that sequence plays a few times and then fills with that extra extra intricate "fiddly bit" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I knew @Rugeley Villa would like that post!

November Rain. I fookin love that tune! 

It's their stairway to heaven. Their debut album came out in 88 I think then their next release weren't until the early 90s with the use your illusion albums. Listen to the debut 'appetite for destruction' then listen to use your illusion albums and they actually take 10 steps forward and it sounds like they miss two albums out in between. All this was down to the ego maniac that was axl rose. Appetite for destruction was probably the greatest debut ever. What an album.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Oh yeah for sure. And the big Slash solo too, when that kicks in makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, especially after that sequence plays a few times and then fills with that extra extra intricate "fiddly bit" 

Slash was a great soloist. 

• Like 1

Young lad I work with today: You should listen to this band I like, they're called Guns & Roses.

Me: Yeah, I've heard of them.

Lad: They've got this ace song, called November Rain.

Me: Yeah, I've heard it.

Lad: Oh, I'd never heard of them, I didn't know if anyone else liked them.

Me: Eh? They were probably the biggest band in the late 80s, early 90s! How have you only just heard of them?

Lad: I was only born in 1994.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Young lad I work with today: You should listen to this band I like, they're called Guns & Roses.

Me: Yeah, I've heard of them.

Lad: They've got this ace song, called November Rain.

Me: Yeah, I've heard it.

Lad: Oh, I'd never heard of them, I didn't know if anyone else liked them.

Me: Eh? They were probably the biggest band in the late 80s, early 90s! How have you only just heard of them?

Lad: I was only born in 1994.

Wait until he discovers Led Zep or Pink Floyd!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Appetite for destruction was probably the greatest debut ever. What an album.

Good call. I've been having a run on great debut albums recently... Definitely Maybe and Stone Roses as well. 

• Like 1

My mood tonight, both of these from uni days many moons ago. Halfway through this.....

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

91XxgoAk6TL._SY355_.jpg

And when that's done it'll be this and bedtime.... 

(Nick Drake - Bryter Layter)

nice_drake_bryter_layer_1367935703.jpg

Edit , albums that go together oh so well....not for all tastes though. Younger lads on here will steer well away from these. Not knocking thay, different strokes etc. 

Double edit, I see Mooney approves. I dip my hat toward you sir. Well, if I had one I would be. 

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

My mood tonight, both of these from uni days many moons ago. Halfway through this.....

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

91XxgoAk6TL._SY355_.jpg

And when that's done it'll be this and bedtime.... 

(Nick Drake - Bryter Layter)

nice_drake_bryter_layer_1367935703.jpg

Edit , albums that go together oh so well....not for all tastes though. Younger lads on here will steer well away from these. Not knocking thay, different strokes etc. 

Magnificent. Incidentally, I went to see The Unthanks last night, performing the songs of Molly Drake (Nick's Mum). Rather lovely. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Magnificent. Incidentally, I went to see The Unthanks last night, performing the songs of Molly Drake (Nick's Mum). Rather lovely. 

I won't lie, I hadn't heard of The Unthanks until you said. I know now though so thanks indirectly for that tip, I'll add them to my Spotify list of investigative enquiry, for a try. 

The fact you even recognised those albums, despite their "wilderness" in the modern times, means I owe you a pint right there. Bank that one Mooney, I don't buy often. 

10 hours ago, Midfielder said:

I won't lie, I hadn't heard of The Unthanks until you said. I know now though so thanks indirectly for that tip, I'll add them to my Spotify list of investigative enquiry, for a try. 

The fact you even recognised those albums, despite their "wilderness" in the modern times, means I owe you a pint right there. Bank that one Mooney, I don't buy often. 

Any serious music lover of my generation will know those albums, surely? If I got bought a pint for every classic album of the 60s & 70s in my collection, I'd be in beer for life! 

The Molly Drake songs (many written in the 40s and 50s) are uncannily reminiscent of Nick's, especially melodically. Now we know where he got it from. I don't think the Unthanks' Drake album is out yet (they were selling it on the merch desk as a pre-release, but I resisted buying). Their earlier stuff leans more towards the bleak end of trad folk (although check out their amazing version of King Crimson's "Starless" on YouTube).

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

I genuinely thought my missus would like the Unthanks. I pointed her in their general direction, put a couple of songs on a memory stick for the car. Apparently a 20 minute school run is not the time to worry about the plight of the ship yard worker in clever two part harmony.

Turns out she's a much bigger fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy original sound track. 

Wimmin, eh?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I went to see The Unthanks last night

Sort of a bit Unthanksy is Nancy Elizabeth. Not exactly well known. She's from down the road here (wigan). Her "Wrought Iron" LP is really good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Primal Scream

Screamadelica_album_cover.jpg

Went to see them live a few years ago.

Got really lucky, got two tickets in the BBC Maida Vale Sessions lottery, but I had a meeting I was supposed to attend same afternoon. So I decided to take the honest and direct approach and phoned the client and asked if she wanted to come and see a band instead of discussing door schedules and building phasing.

She said yes, we went along, it was a crowd of about 80 or 90 people so really intimate little gig but insanely loud. She got given a hug and a bottle of water by Kate Moss. 

After the gig we went to some bar on a barge in Little Venice. Me and project manager woman, not Kate Moss.

Best meeting she'd ever been to. Project Manager woman, not Kate Moss.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 4

Â