What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Villatalk's album thread always seems to move with what I'm currently digging. It's so strange. I listen to Prince Fatty's cover of Insane in the Membrane last week which was on a Craig Charles Funk and Soul comp. As a result, I started getting into Prince Fatty - my god he's a talented chap isn't he? That concept album of a dub / Morricone-style western soundtrack is absolutely brilliant.

On another tip, South Africa's Fantasma are really floating my boat at the moment. Great debut.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

26091675611_a85eb9379f_z.jpg

The paint brush is worrying me. Either it's still wet, in which case there's a contamination risk to your mug, the CD case and shelf, or it's dry - in which case why is it in the picture and not either in the bin or in a pot of paint remover/brush cleaner?

• Like 1

Paint brush is wet, and loaded with frothy white emulsion. 

I think you can see the shelf is still a little wet, there's a hint of sheen. The wall is wet. 

CD cases aren't high on my list of precious possessions. In fact, it's quite rare it's a CD in a case. Most cases end up in a cupboard with the CD's themselves kept nice n portable in those 50 pocket zip up pouches you can get. The mug is a mug, you can scratch emulsion of that. Drinking a little emulsion never did anyone any harm. The shelf is in the garage / fitness studio / den.

Shortly after this, I walked down the garden and through the house - with my shoes on. We have a new carpet 'runner' down the parquet in the hall as of today. Apparently we will now be a shoes off sort of house.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Paint brush is wet, and loaded with frothy white emulsion. 

I think you can see the shelf is still a little wet, there's a hint of sheen. The wall is wet. 

CD cases aren't high on my list of precious possessions. In fact, it's quite rare it's a CD in a case. Most cases end up in a cupboard with the CD's themselves kept nice n portable in those 50 pocket zip up pouches you can get. The mug is a mug, you can scratch emulsion of that. Drinking a little emulsion never did anyone any harm. The shelf is in the garage / fitness studio / den.

Shortly after this, I walked down the garden and through the house - with my shoes on. We have a new carpet 'runner' down the parquet in the hall as of today. Apparently we will now be a shoes off sort of house.

That whole post makes me feel deeply uncomfortable on a micro level. it's just full of wrongity.

wet paintbrush near, no, not near, an arrangement where the wet brush, mug and CD case deliberately placed adjacent to each other, on a wet shelf . The risk of drinking some paint - even a little top coat could finish you off ;)

Then there's the taking the CDs out of their cases and putting them in a pouch. There's either a really anal system in place to allow you to find them easily, or it's a whole bunch of random. neither is good.

Then the carpet runner business.

I'm going for a lie down and a listen to some soothing sounds, in a darkened room.

• Like 1

Music filing. Now there's a whole subject I've upset some people on another forum with.

My filing for 12" vinyl is basically two sections. Active and non active. Non-active are stored remotely in a random order I can visualise so I know where stuff is. Active has a chance of being played so is in the same room as the turntable. I know exactly where every album is, though they are currently filed by sleeve colour.

Right now, it's the lunchtime of the Friday after pay day.....

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Music filing. Now there's a whole subject I've upset some people on another forum with.

My filing for 12" vinyl is basically two sections. Active and non active. Non-active are stored remotely in a random order I can visualise so I know where stuff is. Active has a chance of being played so is in the same room as the turntable. I know exactly where every album is, though they are currently filed by sleeve colour.

Right now, it's the lunchtime of the Friday after pay day.....

Wow, bold move. I think I like that idea. I'm fairly boring, and file by genre, then alphabetical, then chronological. It helps to do it that way, for if I DJ. I can go to the section I'm going to need for the set I'll play. I considered sub sections in genres too, but that just gave me a head ache. I'm not sure I can be bothered to decide if my Mr Vegas records should be filed under Dancehall or Ragga.

26 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I'm fairly boring, and file by genre, then alphabetical, then chronological

That's not boring, that's eccentric (though not as eccentric as chrisp). Adding in a Genre variable is too difficult for me, too far out man. You crazy guys, you crack me up.

Alphabetical by Artist (Surname if solo) and then by chronlo cronol date. Only exception is double/triple albums if they don't fit on the end of the shelf sometimes get moved left or right or down a shelf.

edit. actually that's a lie. There's a load more in a some boxes upstairs, that I haven't got anything to play them on - Vinyl and Cassette tapes. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Another forum?

My collection is very chaotic.

Lost track of it 3 years ago when the big HMV on Oxford St closed. Bought stacks of stuff on clearout. Too much to assimilate.

Keep finding stuff I've totally forgotten about. Sometimes still wrapped.

• Like 2

exactly!

you either know where it is, or you make new discoveries

26169380025_b8f75d4c54.jpg

this baby will now be filed with other basically white albums, such as Mwng, Music Complete and Roaring Lion

perhaps if you file by alphabetisation and chronology you've also got a thing for trains :rolleyes:

played / not played / colour of sleeve

there is a beauty in the simplicity, even if I say so myself

oh, they're filed 'face on' too, their natural state like when you pick them up from the shop, none of this 'side on gets more in' shennanagins

11 minutes ago, Xann said:

Another forum?

I strayed away from the one we were both on. I just couldn't get in to the swing of it. 

But then I found a nice friendly bunch of middle aged chaps from all over europe and beyond that will happily spend endless hours of their time explaining to a clueless chap like me how to build your own bespoke turntable from scratch, and the geometry of where the arm goes and what an ohm is and all that... (wish I hadn't mentioned train spotters now).

46 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's not boring, that's eccentric (though not as eccentric as chrisp). Adding in a Genre variable is too difficult for me, too far out man. You crazy guys, you crack me up.

Alphabetical by Artist (Surname if solo) and then by chronlo cronol date. Only exception is double/triple albums if they don't fit on the end of the shelf sometimes get moved left or right or down a shelf.

edit. actually that's a lie. There's a load more in a some boxes upstairs, that I haven't got anything to play them on - Vinyl and Cassette tapes. 

It's just easier that way. If I get a DJ gig, and they want Soul / R&B / Blues playing, I go to that section and pull all the records out from those sections. Much easier than trying to think of artists in that genre, and pulling them out one at a time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I strayed away from the one we were both on. I just couldn't get in to the swing of it.

It's having a bit of a crisis of identity.

The return of vinyl to the mainstream has phased them a bit.

Their cosy niche world being crashed by all sorts of undesirables, imagine!

16 minutes ago, Xann said:

It's having a bit of a crisis of identity.

The return of vinyl to the mainstream has phased them a bit.

Their cosy niche world being crashed by all sorts of undesirables, imagine!

Hhmmm, I went to my local record shop this lunchtime, admittedly it was lunchtime on a Friday, it's a payday sort of time of the month and it's half term and all that. But the place was rammed. Elbow etiquette came in to play. I've been going there for I guess about 35 years and it's almost always been a very small number of people and the same staff year in year out. Couldn't chat about crap this lunchtime though, or get mugged in to buying something they couldn't shift. Too busy serving punters and showing new staff where everything was. Which is great. I guess.

Hopefully the crowds will thin a little bit when the fashion moves on or they discover Olly Murs Greatest Hits is actually cheaper in Sainsbury's. But in that a couple of years ago they were seriously looking like packing it up and calling it a day, it's good to see them quite literally with a queue at the till.

Even the local second hand record shop is making hay. They have a bunch of quite rough looking 2Tone and mod stuff on the racks at the moment. Dog eared copies of The Beat or The Jam albums being knocked out for £20 a go, and not exactly VG+ condition either. 

Anecdotally, in my nippers comprehensive class, about 10 of them claim to have record players, 2 of them now take in cassette playing boom boxes!

I know that on e-bay, turntables that were always £30 or £40 a year back are now regularly selling at £200.

Good luck to 'em all, if it inspires somebody somewhere to pick up a guitar and knock out the next 'Teenage Kicks'.

Â