What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Sent From Coventry. A brief snapshot of the Coventry punk / post-punk scene around March 1980. I bought this at the time because a member of one of the bands (The Clique) was the son of some friends of my parents. Now when I think back, Andrew was responsible for me listening to Lee Perry, as whenever we used to go around to visit, I'd end up in his bedroom and looking through his records, whether he was in or out and he had a 12" copy of Police and Thieves and a couple of Lee Perry albums which always fascinated me

There's no real undiscovered gems on here, just bands being bands. By the time the record was released some had already split, some even reformed just to record their track. It's full of bands having a lot of naive fun.

The sleeve notes are written by one Horace Panter of The Specials.

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

Crépescule Collection 2 - State of Excitement.

Another of my favourite single label compilation / samplers

Les Disques du Crépescule were a trendy leftfield Belgian label who often put out UK indie artists product in that there Europe. One of the founders was Annik Honoré, who was otherwise famous for being Ian Curtis' girlfriend that caused him to split with his wife. They released stuff by Paul Haig, Cabaret Voltaire, A Certain Ratio, Joseph K and many others. (all those are on this). It also features a Belgian band The Names who were produced by Martin Hannett who released records on both Crépescule and Factory Benelux (Factory's Belgian Label - thing of the labels as districtly different but with huge levels of co-operation)

Paul Haig's version of The Persuaders Theme is on this which is ace as is Sorry For Laughing by Joseph K. Another label that wasn't afraid to release totally experimental product because it deserved to be heard not because it would make any money. They also released stuff by UK acts that wasn't officially released in the UK, Alan Rankine of The Associates released his solo material through them as did Paul Haig (Joseph K)

This is the only one of their samplers I own but if I saw others (there are 3 others in this series) I'd buy them as long as the price was sensible

LTg2NjcuanBlZw.jpeg

• Like 1

"An associate of Knud Viktor - who took the album's cover photo - and, by proxy, L'Oiseau Musicien boss Jean-Claude Roché, French "Composer and musicologist" Jean-Yves Bosseur was a member of the ensemble GERM - "Groupe d'Etude et Réalisation Musicale" - the same that realized that version of Terry Riley's "Keyboard Study 2" for the BYG split LP w/ fellow GERM member Pierre Mariétan in 1970 as well as being one of the "Voice actors" on the 1973 recording of Michel Butor & Henri Pousseur's "Votre Faust." Confusingly, he also contributed the first track to Cabaret Voltaire's "Methodology '74 '78. Attic Tapes" set. Bosseur is also something of a polyglot, writing about Literature, Art, Sound-Art & Music - his "Sound And The Visual Arts: Intersections between Music and Plastic Arts Today" comes highly recommended - & Composing / Producing in equal measure. In 1985, Arion - the same label that issued Bruno Menny's C.P. classic "Cosmographie," Structures Sonores Lasry-Baschet's "Chronophagie," & Dashiell Hedayat's mythical outing as "Melmoth," "La Devanture Des Ivresses;" to give you some idea of the full range of company kept - issued the only other full set of LP-era music by Bosseur, in the form of the "Vent d'Ouest - Le Chant d'Un Monde" LP, a deft collage of Folk & Classical forms in more of a traditional Folkways-esque assemblage ala Tony Schwartz.

Discographical inanities, no matter how significant, aside; this particular outing continues in the tone & breadth of the two Knud Viktor titles replicated 3/5th of the series before it - an almost entirely "Acoustic" take on the Musique Concrète modus, presaging such later examples as Jeph Jerman's "Hands To" work & channeling the non-musical-instrumental practices of pieces such as Christian Wolff's "Stones" & Cage's "Branches," takes the best elements of the often minimal "Natural Improvisation" movement heralded by Composers such as Akio Suzuki & Toshiya Tsunoda & wraps it around the decidedly more "Orchestral" setting, wherein an entire ensemble let loose on all manner of sounding accouterments, resulting in a more even fleshed-out & scored-through setting of "Organized Sound."

Fully mapped out & involving only a modicum of improvisation, the results are both incredibly precise & controlled - yet somehow completely alien - it is truly unlike anything I've ever heard, and as an experiment in creating otherworldly timbres via earthly means - even to a set of ears trained on the most out-there modes of Electronic Syntheses - the results are uncanny."

Jean-Yves Bosseur, "Musiques Vertes"

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Welsh bands suck. 

The Welsh language bit of that still makes me laugh today.

Even the Stereophonics track is good. I went out and found stuff by Flyscreen and Novocain, 60 ft Dolls, Big Leaves, Derrero, Dub War…

Hell of an album.

Helen Love is still releasing new stuff this year. I think she might even be part of the 6 Music Fringe currently going on in Cardiff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The Welsh language bit of that still makes me laugh today.

Even the Stereophonics track is good. I went out and found stuff by Flyscreen and Novocain, 60 ft Dolls, Big Leaves, Derrero, Dub War…

Hell of an album.

Helen Love is still releasing new stuff this year. I think she might even be part of the 6 Music Fringe currently going on in Cardiff.

I love that album. I have a few Welsh music compilations but Dial M for Merthyr is the best. 

• Like 1

4AD Records house colaboration band This Mortal Coil and their second (of three) album - FIligree and Shadow.

It's very much more laid back and ethereal compared to the first album but on the other hand it really doesn't sound dated and as tied to the '80s as the first. It could be released tomorrow and no one would know it's from 1986

MDgtODExMC5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

It could be released tomorrow and no one would know it's from 1986

Apart from the production, which is definitely an 80s sound, but I totally get what you mean - the songs themselves could easily be from last month or last year.

• Like 1

1973's Any Old Wind That Blows. A great album, arguably one of the best of Cash's 70s output. Country Trash was rerecorded on one of his American albums but for me the version on this album is better. IMG_05042022_165905_(1080_x_1080_pixel).thumb.jpg.df7fe154edf3420591218597c32791c0.jpg

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Solo album from Jerry Harrison (Talking Heads / Modern Lovers) released in 1987 - Casual Gods. It's a decent album and there's definitely a lot of Talking Heads in there

Charity shop purchase some years back, remember when charity shops had decent records in? Seems like a dream

LmpwZWc.jpeg

• Like 1

Â