• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Aston Villa are a bigger club that to be hiring Alex McLeish..

Its got to the stage where we are all trying to now convince ourselves he is a good guy..

This is a sh_t appointmant make no mistakes..

Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal would not accept McLeish.

of course they wouldn't which ever way you look at it they are bigger clubs than us, unfortunately.
Spurs aren't bigger than us. They are however in a better position currently.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at the odds for next season - they've got a bet "Premiership without the Big 6" - absolutely gutted that Villa are not one of the Big Six

I've got nothing personally against AM, in fact he is the only SMA manager that I could stomach, but he is just not a good appointment. His record is poor - he probably won't get us relegated but we are not going to be punching over our weight either.

If RL has cut the purse strings and settled for mid-table at least go with a manager who would serve up some decent football (I would have liked Moyes but would have been pleased with an adventourous appointment like Poyet)

Randy, the honeymoon is over. First three games are crucial - a couple of early defeats and the whole thing could implode

Think which is stronger, your love for Aston Villa or your hatred for McLeish. That will give you an idea on what you should do.

I read that on twitter earlier. And it sums things up perfectly.

Hatred for mcleish? What's he done wrong? Left blues for a bigger club to improve his career. Hatred, grow up ffs.

People talk as if he is a rapist or something.

It's the board you should be pissed off at, they have handled this appallingly. Mcleish has done nothing wrong.

I agree with you. I quite like McLeish as you will see in my previous posts. What I meant is that its a good message to people who are that upset with his appointment to get behind the team whoever is in charge.

I dont hate him because of anything he has done previously, I hate him because he is prepared to take the job with very little support because he knows he will get a fat pay off when it does, there is no risk for him.

Just looking at the odds for next season - they've got a bet "Premiership without the Big 6" - absolutely gutted that Villa are not one of the Big Six

I've got nothing personally against AM, in fact he is the only SMA manager that I could stomach, but he is just not a good appointment. His record is poor - he probably won't get us relegated but we are not going to be punching over our weight either.

If RL has cut the purse strings and settled for mid-table at least go with a manager who would serve up some decent football (I would have liked Moyes but would have been pleased with an adventourous appointment like Poyet)

Randy, the honeymoon is over. First three games are crucial - a couple of early defeats and the whole thing could implode

The worst part about all this is that I actually like McLeish, I always have. The fact he was manager over there meant absolutely nothing to me, I had a fondness for his mild-mannered and humble nature along with his honesty. I will honestly feel sorry for the guy for what is in store for him.

The reason there is an uproar has nothing to do with his origins, people, including myself, feel he is not good enough to manage our club for too many reasons to list without sounding repetitive. This is testament to how poorly our board are carrying out their jobs and they should be accountable for this mess, not McLeish.

The board have:

- Failed to pursue managers outside of having had prior experience in the Premier League. A restriction that is as stupid as it is restrictive, in place for what I can only assume is a risk assessment because of having absolutely **** all knowledge of World Football.

- Failed to pull any manager of any pedigree even for an interview (it's largely believed that McLeish was the first and last)

- Contradicted themseles on the reasoning of not pursuing Hughes and McLaren, both of which any fan would take over McLeish.

- Angered fans and alienated them further

- Posted derogatory statements trying reinforce that they know best and we should just accept it and move along.

THESE PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW FOOTBALL. If there is one underlying thing to come out of this mess it's this, our board don't have a clue, literally.

Its got to the stage where we are all trying to now convince ourselves he is a good guy..

of course they wouldn't which ever way you look at it they are bigger clubs than us, unfortunately.
Spurs aren't bigger than us. They are however in a better position.

We can AND HAVE matched the spending power of thjose clubs since Lerner came to Villa.. With the RIGHT manager we could finish higher than them. Its about having the right guy to bring in the right players.. On that sense we are too big fro Alex McLeish.. No chance can he bring in the likes of Cissokho, M'Villa for example.

Massive mistake by the board.. Its yet again another manager that will have to offer top dollar in wages to attract good players to the club..

Are people seriously insulting Alex McLeish as a person on here? I haven't been reading the previous pages. I find it really disrespectful, ignorant and very juvenile.

Ok, we may not like the fact that Randy has trusted a guy who doesn't exactly fit the 'CRITERIA' of Prem Experience. I know we are all disappointed. I am absolutely gutted that he has been appointed. It doesn't sit well with me one bit. But give the man a break, it is not his fault that RL & PF have decided that a guy who teams have been known to play very insipid, bland, unattractive, dreary football is the man to generate a new exciting era at Villa Park.

He is an honest guy, always speaks and carries himself well very; has always been very complimentary to Aston Villa, & I do not think personal insults are the way to go. It shows a lack of respect to Aston Villa Football Club. Ok, there is a lot of animosity towards the board at the moment, and fans have every right to be a little disgruntled. But McLeish, regardless of whether he is the right man or not, deserves some respect. Treat people the way you wish to be treated.

Spurs aren't bigger than us. They are however in a better position.

We can AND HAVE matched the spending power of thjose clubs since Lerner came to Villa.. With the RIGHT manager we could finish higher than them. Its about having the right guy to bring in the right players.. On that sense we are too big fro Alex McLeish.. No chance can he bring in the likes of Cissokho, M'Villa for example.

Massive mistake by the board.. Its yet again another manager that will have to offer top dollar in wages to attract good players to the club..

I dont think we will spend that much in the summer :(

Think which is stronger, your love for Aston Villa or your hatred for McLeish. That will give you an idea on what you should do.

Hatred for mcleish? What's he done wrong? Left blues for a bigger club to improve his career. Hatred, grow up ffs.

It's the board you should be pissed off at, they have handled this appallingly. Mcleish has done nothing wrong.

I agree with you. I quite like McLeish as you will see in my previous posts. What I meant is that its a good message to people who are that upset with his appointment to get behind the team whoever is in charge.

I dont hate him because of anything he has done previously, I hate him because he is prepared to take the job with very little support because he knows he will get a fat pay off when it does, there is no risk for him.

Wrong. He has put his reputation on the line massively. If he fails he will be damaged goods. When you are a prem manager the money is so important but the ego and reputation is.

Wrong. He has put his reputation on the line massively. If he fails he will be damaged goods. When you are a prem manager the money is so important but the ego and reputation is.

What reputation?

Ok chaps, Mcliesh is unveiled as manager and in the weeks that follow the signings of Dann, Foster, Adams and N'zogbia are announced and Downing commits to stay.

How do you feel and what would your expectations be for the season?

He has put his reputation on the line massively. If he fails he will be damaged goods. When you are a prem manager the money is so important but the ego and reputation is.

He already is damaged goods to an extent. He is as much a championship manager as he is a Premiership manager .

I bet he can't believe his luck that us mugs are running after him.

Having said that can't blame him for wanting the job.

Yeah, how ever will he cope now his reputation of a twice over relegation manager is at risk.

What exactly can he do here to make his reputation any worse? Even relegating us won't look out of place on his CV.

Alex McLeish has won just 26% of his games as a Premier League manager, so far no Aston Villa manager with more than five games in charge has posted such a low percentage. Of the seven permanent managers to have held the post since the introduction of the Premier League, John Gregory boasts the best win percentage (41.22%) while Graham Taylor endured the worst spell of the seven – the former England manager won just 29.41% of his PL games at Villa.

What reputation?

The reputation that he won the league cup last season as well as tons of pots in scotland (like a much heralded previous manager). Also the fact that so many people rate him in the game.

Also add to the fact that after last seasons relegation he will want to prove that with a stable board at a big club he can do great things.