• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I think he is quite frankly the worst possible candidate for the job and will show that Randy Lerner's ambition for the club is shot and care is gone for the fans if he goes through with the appointment. It would also say to me he's looking to sell up and cut his losses soon. It makes no sense from a financial point of view, let alone a PR one. Very strange.

I said this a page or so ago, it makes no sence what so ever from a business point of view or PR point of view.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the club have consulted the same people for McLeish's free agent status that they did for his recommendation, Villa are paying SHA 5.5 million, simple as that. Where has following the proper procedures and due diligence gotten us in the manager search?

Curious how the "poor" myth started since he spent 40 million in 2 years. Could it be that his signings were mediocre and overpaid, so they were largely and rightly ignored? It seems that McLeish has not gotten the rap for a plethora of low/no impact signings because he's at a small-time club. Doesn't mean he wasn't hugely wasteful, it's just that while he was doing it at SHA no one cared.

And then after spending 40 million in 2 years, he gets them relegated. Disappointing return, I'd say. And after all that, Yeung sticks with him and he quits via email. It's high comedy as long as it stays away from Villa, otherwise it's just sad.

Is it ok to say our board have officially lost the plot now? I'm beyond **** dissappointed, thisis ridiculous!
As nothing has actually happened yet, no I don't think it is quite yet. You mightn't have to wait long though if the media are right.

Yes.

talkSHITE broke their "exclusive" last night at 5.15, so only a couple of hours to wait if they are right.

I think he is quite frankly the worst possible candidate for the job and will show that Randy Lerner's ambition for the club is shot and care is gone for the fans if he goes through with the appointment. It would also say to me he's looking to sell up and cut his losses soon. It makes no sense from a financial point of view, let alone a PR one. Very strange.

I wasn't going to post in this thread again but have to say this is complete nonsense!

If Randy was planning on selling up why he want to alienate the fans, lower revenues and therefore lower the value of the club?

Surely it'd make far more sense to appoint a big name, raise the profile and the number of season ticket holders and sell for a higher price?

I simply don't get the logic that it makes it 'easier to sell'? It's his club to sell if he wants and the fans opinion, frankly, doesn't make any difference to this.

Agree Sellyoak, I think Randy is looking for ways out and if the fans turn it's easier for him to make an exit.

It still doesnt make sense from a business sense .

If Randy wants to sell club how does alienating the crowds in meantime do any good ??

Doesnt make sense .

Gives Lerner an excuse to not come to B6 again, maybe he's had enough

I wasn't going to post in this thread again but have to say this is complete nonsense!

If Randy was planning on selling up why he want to alienate the fans, lower revenues and therefore lower the value of the club?

Surely it'd make far more sense to appoint a big name, raise the profile and the number of season ticket holders and sell for a higher price?

I simply don't get the logic that it makes it 'easier to sell'? It's his club to sell if he wants and the fans opinion, frankly, doesn't make any difference to this.

Whatever Randy's intentions, he's clearly shown that he holds the fans' opinion in very low regard.

Please tell me tomorrow i will wake up and all this will have past, and the club i love will have restored order and told the world we are ASTON VILLA AND we are appointing david moyes as manager!! PLEASE TELL ME

I'm still thinking that it can't happen, surely? It'd be tantamount to commercial suicide for all involved, apart from maybe McLeish himself who would so quickly find his position untenable that he could easily pick up a fast pay off.

It's up there with the most dumb moves they can make. Even just speaking to him is stupid.

It could tie in as to why Young's gone..Along with Friedel, Reo Coker and Downing most likely.

I think MM was right...Its meltdown. :?

Agree Sellyoak, I think Randy is looking for ways out and if the fans turn it's easier for him to make an exit.

If, after all the money and effert he has put into this club, coupled with the behaviour of some of our idiotic fans. If Mr Lerner has had enough, i cant say i blame him.

By a country mile the best Chairman in the leaque, and some tossers want him out. Well, a quick note to said tossers, who spent last year spouting crap like "Anyone could do better than GH" be very carefull what you wish for.

It still doesnt make sense from a business sense .

If Randy wants to sell club how does alienating the crowds in meantime do any good ??

Doesnt make sense .

Gives Lerner an excuse to not come to B6 again, maybe he's had enough

Why would he need an excuse? He could just not come regardless of who he appoints.

He is better off selling a club with a happy fan base as well.

Neither of these 'theories' make any sense.

It could tie in as to why Young's gone..Along with Friedel, Reo Coker and Downing most likely.

I think MM was right...Its meltdown. :?

He was certainly right about that. And he might have dropped a hint if it was someone to get excited about. Instead he said he didn't want to make a hint in any way shape or form - otherwise it would have leaked and cue the uproar. It also ties in with Shaun Teale randomly popping out with "gobsmacked if true" on twitter.

Randy should just back his judgment, like Ray Houghton said earlier today. If he genuinely feels Mcleish is the best appointment, go for him. He can't bow down to a section of fans gobbing off with every potential manager, we'd never appoint anyone (realistic managers I mean, not managers that would have no inclination to come to us anyway).

Of course he's not looking to sell up, he wouldn't have done so much for this club to date to then look to bugger off after 5 years.

I don't get the Randy leaving bit, he's put too much time and effort in to just pack it in now. Also as some said you would aim high and sell at it's peak. My opinion is not so much that he doesn't care what the fans think but that he has learnt how fickle fans can be. If he backs AM quite heavily and we start well enough people will soon swing round to getting behind them all again. I have a feeling that AM might well get a decent lump of cash to spend.

Randy should just back his judgment, like Ray Houghton said earlier today. If he genuinely feels Mcleish is the best appointment, go for him. He can't bow down to a section of fans gobbing off with every potential manager, we'd never appoint anyone (realistic managers I mean, not managers that would have no inclination to come to us anyway).

Of course he's not looking to sell up, he wouldn't have done so much for this club to date to then look to bugger off after 5 years.

Not a great post (sorry, IMO ;)) Only because I don't think it's some fans gobbing off. It's +90%, and it's justified. Once it's all over with I will try and brush this under the carpet and just back my club. But it IS commercial suicide.