• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate that Wigan don't have the biggest fanbase, but it's still highly impressive that you've managed to speak to each and every one of them in order to draw this watertight conclusion in the short space of time since the Martinez story broke.

Speaking to one bloke isn't hard but speaking to his dog is an achievement, I'll grant him that.

Why has he stopped posting here in the first place? any ideas?

Is that a legitimate question or is "Why isn't MM on here anymore?" the new "Rory Delap's got quite a long throw, hasn't he?".

Am I the only one here who's carefully monitoring H&V for another message from the man of mystery?

Not sure.

Another person I'd like to hear from is Selly (aka Jack Woodward). He's ITK.

Ancellotti - serious about pushing on to the level of CL football & attracting top quality players to VP

Amazing how short sighted some people are.

Ancelotti was 'pushing on to the level of CL football & attracting top quality players to Stamford Bridge'

Are people seriously thinking that if we appointed Ancelotti we would be challenging for CL and attracting the likes of Messi and Eto'o here??

Retarded!!!

Just can't get my ahead around it, yes he has lots of potential but he is still learning, would have thought if they were going for an up and coming manager they would look to Coyle. Lets face it, just after christmas a good portion of our own fanbase wanted Whelan to fire him, he only turned it around in the last 10 games or so. Admittedly I was never one of the Martinez out brigade but that was somewhat due to his connection to the club. Really hope he doesn't leave because we finally looked settled.

To be honest I think Martinez would be making a huge mistake going to Villa as he his still young and inexperienced meaning that he is likely to make mistakes, I don't think the villa fans would be as patient with him as we were. If he fails he would be unlikely to get another prem job.

I just get the feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye. Maybe that they are talking to Moyes or Coyle on the quiet, with Bobby being Lerner's plan B?

I think this Wigan fan makes some valid points, especially about our fans being patient with him

Am I the only one here who's carefully monitoring H&V for another message from the man of mystery?

He's always said that he doesn't have a clue who the manager will be.

He said he'd heard McClaren and Hughes were ruled out but he didn't know who was in the frame.

This "meltdown" talk was just an optimistic hunch, not based on any knowledge.

Is that a legitimate questions or is "Why isn't MM on here anymore?" the new "Rory Delap's got quite a long throw, hasn't he?".

Think its the new Rory Delap tbh.

I appreciate that Wigan don't have the biggest fanbase, but it's still highly impressive that you've managed to speak to each and every one of them in order to draw this watertight conclusion in the short space of time since the Martinez story broke.

Speaking to one bloke isn't hard but speaking to his dog is an achievement, I'll grant him that.

I don't know, I get the impression it's the dog that speaks his language.

Another person I'd like to hear from is Selly (aka Jack Woodward). He's ITK.

Selly is Jack Woodward?? For real??

:shock:

Don't believe this but if it WAS true, not anymore.

To be honest, my opinion of Martinez is based on the same criteria as any of the other candidates - a general impression of what sort of character he is, the performances of his teams, the way they play and how he is considered by other managers, players and pundits.

I'm not an expert in tactics, nor the intricacies of what makes a great manager.

We arguably got a manager with proven achievements in the game, a track record at the highest level with our last two major appointments (Ged and MON). There is no perfect manager and whoever we get we're going to have to give them time and support (Hughes was deeply unpopular halfway through the season)

I trust the board to know more than me about what they want and who they want to look after the interests of the club. Ultimately whoever is appointed should be judged on the performances on the pitch and the health of the club off the pitch (scouting, youth development etc).

Martinez is a risk but a calculated risk. Bring it on

A bit of encouraging news, Rijkaard has shortened to 14/1 on SkyBet

Don't really know how e are supposed to react to that considering Ancelotti looked odds on not too long ago. Shortening odds mean pretty much nothing more than someone putting a bit of money on the manager in question.

A relegation scrap at Wigan? You don't say...

They have wantaway N'Zogbia and who else exactly? I think it's more of a commendation than a condemnation to keep them up, regardless of the margins involved.

mccarthy, moses and rodallega are all very good players

I posted this on the Gen's thread yesterday

"General.

I'm sure that the board of Aston Villa will deliberate the appointment of the next manager very seriously indeed to ensure the mistakes of last season aren't repeated. I'm also sure that whoever you appoint will be briefed fully on the goals & and direction the board wish to take the club in. Whoever you appoint in my eyes will be an improvement on GH but thats just personal. The appointment you make now will indicate what the realistic goals for the future are. For example:

Ancellotti - serious about pushing on to the level of CL football & attracting top quality players to VP

Moyes - Serious about challenging for a top six position, UEFA cup football & attracting good solid quality proffesionals to VP

Martinez - Serious about maintaining our premiership status and attracting players that want to use Villa as a stepping stone to other clubs & not really challenging for any honours unless we have a lucky cup run.

McLaren - Serious about completely ignoring the feelings of the fans that you covet enough to take the time & effort to trawl through hundreds of emails weekly. If this guy is appointed then unfortunately the board will lose a lot of the trust & credibility, which is rightly deserved, with the fans.

Appointing Maclaren after GH would be akin to replacing Gary Glitter as your baby sitter with Ian Huntley!!!

General - the decision the board take on the next manager will not only send out a message to the fans on the boards ambition but also a message to the players and to the rest of football. Please bear in mind my comments."

I stand by these words. Whichever manager the board appoints will send a message of its intention out. Can anyone here seriously tell me by appointing RM we are sending a message of intent of being serious about challenging for european places or domestic honours?? I'm not saying that the appointment of RM is right or wrong it just contradicts all the "5 year plan" "we want to challenge at the highest level" spin that we have been told by Randy & the board!!!

There is having an opinion and then there's some keyboard warrior trying to belittle some of the best business brains in the country (working on the board). Who are you to tell the board what to do?

You think they don't know that appointing a manager will also send out a message to the footballing world?

Also, why are you so intent on putting in so many digs at the General?

I don't know what's worse, you posting this drivel to the General about the club you 'support', or the fact that you've copied it on another thread in hope of support and encouragement?