• Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Whelan interview on SSN -

"Villa fans should be very proud of the way their club handles matters. If every club behaved like Aston Villa football would be a much better place to be!"

'If everyone behaved like Aston Villa, football would be much better'. Dave Whelan

I think it looks like Martinez after hearing that from Whelan

I'm not sure why everyone is getting so angry with the board. Everything we have heard so far are rumours. The only definate thing we know is that we have approached Wigan about Martinez, and we havnt contacted Schteve (although he might be saying that to save the embarrassment of being told we dont want him).

Half of what we have heard is a load of made up rubbish that should be taken with a pinch of salt.

We are doing everything behind closed doors and when they are ready to appoint somebody, they will tell us.

Just let them get on with it.

No sorry but that's whitewashing the whole season. Houlliers appointment was an abject failure on all fronts. Easy to say he would have been great as there is no way of knowing, just as easy to say he would have got us relegated next season.

We beat Arsenal and Liverpool under the guidance of GMac while GH was too sick in hospital to have any influence.

And yet.. before those games, people were moaning that Houllier was still having a say in the team selection, the tactics, the training... So it WAS Houllier's team and Houllier's methods that beat those teams.

MON lost our most influential player in Barry and replaced him with Milner who became our most influential player.

NO. MON replaced Barry with Downing, a left winger. He played Downing in the centre of midfield but it didn't work, so he tried Milner in there and luckily, for him, it worked.

GH lost our most influential player in Milner and replaced him with Makoun who showed he is nowehere near good enough for the Prem yet, if ever.

Completely different players. Completely different styles of play. How you can compare MON losing and replacing a player with Houllier doing the same, in the January Transfer Window, I don't know.

How about we compare this? Steve Sidwell, £5m, waste of space. Jean Makoun, less than £5m, Champions League experience, has not played enough in the Premier League to have an impact YET.

If he would have stayed I am quite confident he would have gotten us relegated.

In my opinion, the clubs one appointment was farce.

..and I am confident that we wouldn't have got relegated and that he would have pushed us on when he brought in his own players to play his way. Each to their own.

If I remember, you were possibly one of the people who, back in Feb/ March, were confident that we would be relegated if Houllier was kept in the job..

No sorry but that's whitewashing the whole season. Houlliers appointment was an abject failure on all fronts. Easy to say he would have been great as there is no way of knowing, just as easy to say he would have got us relegated next season.

We beat Arsenal and Liverpool under the guidance of GMac while GH was too sick in hospital to have any influence.

And yet.. before those games, people were moaning that Houllier was still having a say in the team selection, the tactics, the training... So it WAS Houllier's team and Houllier's methods that beat those teams.

MON lost our most influential player in Barry and replaced him with Milner who became our most influential player.

NO. MON replaced Barry with Downing, a left winger. He played Downing in the centre of midfield but it didn't work, so he tried Milner in there and luckily, for him, it worked.

GH lost our most influential player in Milner and replaced him with Makoun who showed he is nowehere near good enough for the Prem yet, if ever.

Completely different players. Completely different styles of play. How you can compare MON losing and replacing a player with Houllier doing the same, in the January Transfer Window, I don't know.

How about we compare this? Steve Sidwell, £5m, waste of space. Jean Makoun, less than £5m, Champions League experience, has not played enough in the Premier League to have an impact YET.

If he would have stayed I am quite confident he would have gotten us relegated.

In my opinion, the clubs one appointment was farce.

..and I am confident that we wouldn't have got relegated and that he would have pushed us on when he brought in his own players to play his way. Each to their own.

If I remember, you were possibly one of the people who, back in Feb/ March, were confident that we would be relegated if Houllier was kept in the job..

This could quite easily have happened

Whelan also said that Randy Lerner is a thoroughly honest and decent man, we've played it straight down the line and that at some

stage Roberto Martinez will manage one of the top clubs in Europe because he is a very talented coach who plays it straight down the line.

Sounds like a good match for Villa and fair play to the club if they've chosen someone because of his integrity as much as his skill

to coach.

yeah, was just about to post that.

"Aston Villa supporters - your club has behaved superbly"

"If every club behaved like Aston Villa, football would be much nicer"

Yeah very good, well done Randy.

However for the sake of argument, you could say that nice guys don't come first. The reality of life is that football isn't a nice industry and maybe we should be a bit more ruthless at times?

Staggering!

I thought Whelan would be giving us a public bitch slap.

It does look like Martinez

Seems like he gets on very well with Whelan though and may show him some loyalty. Wouldnt suprise me if he did because he seems like a nice bloke himself.

This could drag out some more........

yeah, I must say the Whelan does often have a moan about clubs taking his players etc in public but he was nothing but complimentary. Obviously doesnt want to lose his manager, although I think saying he's going to be at one of the top 6 clubs in the world is a little extreme.

If it is going to be him, just get it done quickly - we need some players and some certainty.

As for the Liverpool and Arsenal games. My mates sister works in the ward where Houllier was and I was getting updates through him/her. Her words through that period were 'touch and go', she also stated for the large part he was allowed no visitors or phone calls so unless he telepathically picked the team and tactics from his hospital bed then he had largely nothing to do with those results. Credit where it's due those results were largely down to GMac as unpopular as he seems to be.

I didn't put the updates on here as it wasn't my place to say how bad he actually was. As it has since been released then it doesn't matter now.