Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Chindie

Hideo Kojima has just announced Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Due out this November as a full retail game, the set will include Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and an HD take on recent PSP title Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker.

The PlayStation 3 version will pioneer Kojima's new 'Transfarring' system that will let you transfer your Peace Walker save game from your PSP onto your PS3.

The same system will also feature in an HD collection of the first two Zone of the Enders games, due out next year on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Further down the line, Kojima hopes you'll be able use the Transfarring system to transfer PlayStation 2 games onto your PS3 or NGP, and eventually move full PS3 games between your home console and your NGP, for play on either device.

Speaking in an interview during Konami's pre-E3 showcase, Kojima also stated that Metal Gear Rising was still on track for a 2012 launch.

Link

Bit of a case of 'take my damn money Konami!' for me that. I love the MGS series and would quite like to be able to replay them tarted up and without having to set up my PS2. It's a shame they've not put the original in there too (though the PS3 edition is said to come with a download code for the PSN store for the original), I guess they must think it's too much work to get up to standard.

I'd almost buy it just to have played Peace Walker. Sadly that is also, understandably, the worst looking of this collection, even spruced up the limits of the PSP are very telling - it looks like arse.

Still, out in November and, well... sold.

I'm more interested in the Silent Hill and Zone of the Enders HD bundles than the MGS one. After MGS4, I think I'd had my fill of that particular franchise but perhaps that will change. At least it'll give those who missed out on MGS3 a chance to play arguably the best MGS title.

I never got on with Silent Hill so not that interested in that one. And ZOE was one of those things I looked at thought '...nah'. Though people rave about how good those were, so I may investigate that if the price is right.

But MGS, that series has my heart. Even if it's hokey and maddening, and clunky in bits, and doesn't make much sense... it's just so good. It'll be a must buy for me. I've not played MGS4 to be fair, perhaps that would also burn me out should I play it.

I'll have to get this on the Xbox 360.. I would get it on the Playstation 3, but I fancy a change.. I've been inserting MGS discs into Playstation consoles since I was like 8 years old. I think it's time to play one on the Xbox.

Iirc ZOE is **** awesome

did they ever release the game cube version of mgs on the ps2? I'm amazed they haven't done that now, I bought a gc purely to play it (was it called twin snakes or something)

Nope. I suspect it's probably an exclusivity deal with Nintendo preventing them from doing so.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Some more info on this from the Tokyo Game Show

Although the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection was announced a couple of months ago (alongside a sister compilation for Zone Of The Enders) Konami has never been very specific about what it actually contains. But now no less than series creator Hideo Kojima has spilled the beans, as he took to the stage at the Tokyo Game Show.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection will include HD remastered versions of Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. The first two were originally PlayStation 2 games and Peace Walker (once intended to be called Metal Gear Solid 5) was first released as a PSP title.

Peace Walker seems to be getting the most extensive overhaul, with ‘totally renovated graphics, with every font, gauge and icon resized and enhanced to make use of the larger play screen, while a six-player multi-player mode has also been implemented.’

The original MSX versions of the first two Metal Gear titles will also be included in the collection, having originally been part of director’s cut Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance. The VR Missions from that game will also be included, but not Metal Gear Online from Metal Gear 3: Subsistence.

Curiously the original Metal Gear Solid will not be included at all, which still leaves something of a gaping hole in the collection. Even if Konami were worried updating the PSone graphics would be too much like hard work why they don’t use the updated GameCube version we don’t know.

To make things even stranger Peace Walker isn’t included in the Japanese version of the collection and has to be bought separately, but Japan is getting a voucher to download Metal Gear Solid from the PlayStation Network.

In an attempt to emphasis just how much content Europeans are getting Konami are keen to point out that the Xbox 360 version will come on two DVDs, although the PlayStation 3 version needs only one Blu-ray disc.

The collection has also recently been announced for the PSVita, but neither Konami nor Kojima are saying anything else about that right now. The home console versions are tentatively date for November this year.

Bit of a bummer that MGS is not included, but sounds like a pretty comprehensive collection otherwise

• 3 weeks later...

The 'Ultimate Edition' (steelbook case, art cards, included code for MGS1, etc.) of this that was exclusive to Zavvi (limited to 4000) and sold out in a couple of hours, it cost ~£70, and they're now being flogged as pre-orders on eBay for ~£400

Konami are going to 'make an announcement regarding the situation' shortly, which is hopefully code for 'we will make many many more thousands of this edition so everyone can get their hands on it without having to pay a ridiculously inflated price'

• 3 months later...

Hearing a lot about this being pretty hard to find.

Certainly today our place had about 8 copies across both platforms. Including just 2 on PS3.

Which was annoying because I wanted to buy it :(

Well, got it myself.

And polished off MGS2 for about the 6th or 7th time since it came out on the PS2. It never really struck me how ahead of it's time that that game was. Even with all the quirky controls in some ways it's better than what came after it, stuff like what amounts to a cover system I feel better with than things like Gears 'snap to' cover, even if sometimes it does have some issues.

Its showing it's age but at times, and it's a testament to how good the original art design was, it still looks decent enough.

I'm hoping 3 stands up even better.

I got this the other day and haven't played it yet but I can't wait to play MGS 2 again. I don't know if this was a popular opinion but loads of the fanboys near me used to complain about it constantly, probably because for the majority you were playing as Raiden and not Snake but so what? I really love that game, and I agree, in retrospect it was ahead of it's time.

I didn't ever get to play Snake Eater or Peace Walker either so for £30 it was a bargain for me.

I wonder if they'll ever do a complete remake of Metal Gear Solid.

Â